• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • rb288
    Unwashed
    • Sep 2014

Speer 120 gr Gold Dots.....

Just wondering if anyone has had any experience with these bullets in the grendel.
    I have used 150 gr Gold Dots in 300 blk and 308 and have been very pleased with them.
    I have just loaded some for testing in my grendel, but, just wondered if anyone had tried them yet.
  • Popeye212
    Chieftain
    • Jan 2018

No but that is one on my list. Very interested in your results.

Comment

• 1Shot
      Warrior
      • Feb 2018

Posted my results in an other thread here, 120 GD with ARcomp. One thing, this bullet has a loooooog taper from nose back to ogive thus even with max COAL for a magazine the ogive is a mile off the lands. Bullet seems to be a pretty accurate one though because it has been the most accurate bullet so far from my "problem child" 20" BCA upper. Oh! I went WAY HIGHER (28 grs) safely with the powder charge of IMR 8208 than Speer gives in their load data with no problems.

Comment

• Popeye212
        Chieftain
        • Jan 2018

Be careful with that 8208 because when that pressure jumps it jumps. Found that out with the SST's and 450 primer. I loaded SMK 120 last night with 8208 xbr and Federal GMM. See how these do if OK going to try the Game Kings in the 120 then the Gold Dots. Speer have always been good on game just not on paper.
        Last edited by Popeye212; 07-15-2018, 08:30 PM.

Comment

• sneaky one
          Chieftain
          • Mar 2011

Comment

• 1Shot
            Warrior
            • Feb 2018

I was shooting in the 80's so I don't think I have anything to worry about. I also have a load worked up for my Oden 18" barrel with 28.5 grs IMR 8208 with 120 Sierra Pro Hunter, Hornady case, CCI 450, COAL 2.250 that shoots sub MOA at 2550 fps and I know this bullet is a real deer killer from prior use in 6.5x55.

Comment

• CaptnC
              Warrior
              • May 2018

I too posted in the other thread...

They are very accurate out of my 18" $75.00 Classic Firearms barrel. I posted some details in the other thread. It was in the 90's here today too.

I shot the 120 Gold Dots pushed with 28.0gr of H335 out to 400yds...not for groups, but to ring some steel.

Comment

• Popeye212
                Chieftain
                • Jan 2018

I started way low with the SMK topped out at 27.4 off the Sierra data First 5 barely cycled the action throwing them at 5:00. Going up to 28.5 next round. Interesting the SST 123 grain settled at 28.3 with the 8208 2525 avg 9.1 SD

Comment

• Will Fennell
                  Unwashed
                  • Nov 2016

I'm at 28.5 gr of 8208 with the 120 gr Gold Dot(2484 fps), and not seeing any pressure signs yet. Accuracy is not good so far....but i'm going to try some more.....

I'm at 2.55" COAL, which works fine in my mags...can't go much longer without worrying about running out of space.....anyone got any further suggestions? Rifle has a 20" Wilson Combat barrel, that shoots other ammo fine, including handloads of 123 SMK/and 28.5 grs of 8208(2510 fps).

Wanting to work out an accurate hunting load with this bullet around 2500 fps....should I try CFE?

TIA,

Best,

Will

Comment

• olde sarge
                    Warrior
                    • May 2014

Will, would like to hear more on your Wilson Combat 20" barrel. Just bought one for my Grandson. He would have no other so with him being so set on it I caved and bought it for him. Maybe you could PM me with any info you would like to share. Don't want to hijack this thread. Thanks, John

Comment

• grayfox
                      Chieftain
                      • Jan 2017

Will,
                      CFE deserves a try. Maybe even AR Comp, don't know if there is any data for ARC but you could work up to ~28.0 max slowly (start low), see what it does.
                      I use both in my 123 sst's, the ARC is less temp-sensitive than CFE. But CFE is usually the speeder of record to beat for 120 class bullets. For a first ladder try 1 shot each at 0.3 delta's, over a chrony, to track its performance/MV. Then use 0.2 gr increments for MV/groups... I like increments <1% for that so I don't miss any nodes in the process.
                      "Down the floor, out the door, Go Brandon Go!!!!!"

Comment

• Will Fennell
                        Unwashed
                        • Nov 2016

Originally posted by olde sarge View Post
                        Will, would like to hear more on your Wilson Combat 20" barrel. Just bought one for my Grandson. He would have no other so with him being so set on it I caved and bought it for him. Maybe you could PM me with any info you would like to share. Don't want to hijack this thread. Thanks, John
                        John,
                        So far the barrel has been great.....very pleased with its performance with factory loads and with my favorite handload of 123gr SMK and 28.5gr or 8208. No drama....just an easy to work with barrel. I'm just wanting to work up an deer load with these 120 gr Speer Gold Dots, and things arent going as easy as I would like....

Its ok, but just not going as easy as it did with match bullets. I'll work it out, or just shoot 120gr Factory Fusion, with grouped right at 1 MOA. I just would like to improve on that....since my match bullet loads have been closer to .5MOA.

Best,

Will

Comment

• Will Fennell
                          Unwashed
                          • Nov 2016

Originally posted by grayfox View Post
                          Will,
                          CFE deserves a try. Maybe even AR Comp, don't know if there is any data for ARC but you could work up to ~28.0 max slowly (start low), see what it does.
                          I use both in my 123 sst's, the ARC is less temp-sensitive than CFE. But CFE is usually the speeder of record to beat for 120 class bullets. For a first ladder try 1 shot each at 0.3 delta's, over a chrony, to track its performance/MV. Then use 0.2 gr increments for MV/groups... I like increments <1% for that so I don't miss any nodes in the process.
                          Grayfox,
                          I'm going to try .3 grains less and more since I have 8208 in the chargemaster....if that doesn't work, I have a pound of CFE to play with next. These Gold Dots 'check all the boxes' with regard to features I'm looking for, but man they are some UGLY bullets. I just hope I'm not barking up the wrong tree...

Best,

Will

Comment

• Will Fennell
                            Unwashed
                            • Nov 2016

Update,
                            My last post, I had loaded 28.5 gr of 8208XB under the 120 gr Gold Dot. Accuracy was not up to par. I since loaded up to 28.8gr and groups tightened right up! final group was 5 shots at 100 yards into .4". Velocity was 2520 fps with a SD of 4. I'm pleased, and loading up a quantity for the fall hunting season. YMMV.

Best,

Will

Comment

• 1Shot
                              Warrior
                              • Feb 2018

It goes to show that different barrels like different things. In my 20" BCA barrel 28.5 was too hot with the 120 GD but 28.0 was the best load. I am using Hornady cases, CCI 450, 28.0 grs IMR 8208 with a base to ogive measurement of 1.725 which will not work in a Elander mag but works fine in my ASC/AR-Stoner mages but this is a jump of 75 thousands to the lands. This bullet has a loooooog taper back to the ogive. I have some loaded up at 1.715 that is 85 thousands jump and will work through the Elander mags to see if there is any difference in accuracy. I also use a medium Lee Factory Crimp on all my loads. Hear is a head scratcher. When I use brand new Hornady cases with the above load I average 2533 fps with a ES 7 and SD 2 but when I use cases that have been fired before and full length sized I get 2550 fps with an ES 21 and SD 9. This has been with a number of different 5 shot groups on different days. These figures are very consistent. This has been the most accurate load I have found in this rifle, averages 3/4". This is what I am going to use on deer this season.

Comment

Working...
                              X