• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • NugginFutz
    Chieftain
    • Aug 2013

Originally posted by LR1955 View Post
    MD:

Best thing you can do is replace it. When you get a decent scale, you will wonder why you held on to that 505 for as long as you did.

LR55
    Gotta go with you on this one, Gene. My 505 is nowhere near as old as Mopardoctor's, holds a good zero, and I still don't know why is taking up space on the bench. RCBS could not have put less effort into the manufacture of this unit. It is only by virtue of gravity being the same at both ends of the arm that it measures reasonably accurately. (The scale came with the Rock Chucker supreme kit that was my starter press.)
    If it's true that we are here to help others, then what exactly are the others here for?

Comment

• grayfox
      Chieftain
      • Jan 2017

I'm with Nuggin and '55. My 505 (40+ I bought it in the 70's) is simply in a box, waiting for the time if the grid fails and I don't have a generator... the chargemaster combo with the straw trick is my go-to. Calibrates great and cross-checks with check weights.
      Not afraid of stick powders any more!!!
      "Down the floor, out the door, Go Brandon Go!!!!!"

Comment

• Mad Charlie
        Warrior
        • May 2017

Originally posted by grayfox View Post
        I'm with Nuggin and '55. My 505 (40+ I bought it in the 70's) is simply in a box, waiting for the time if the grid fails and I don't have a generator... the chargemaster combo with the straw trick is my go-to. Calibrates great and cross-checks with check weights.
        Not afraid of stick powders any more!!!
        Love my Chargemaster, but there is a 1010 on a leveling plate nearby. My bench will always have a balance beam scale.

Comment

• roor
          Warrior
          • Jan 2018

Comment

• joedirt199
            Warrior
            • Jul 2015

I doctored my old rcbs beam scale up to measure one kernal of powder. Glued a needle to the end of the beam to overlap the balanced line on the frame. Stoned the balance points on the beam to razor sharp edges, polished up all the contacts for the pan and holder. It works pretty good now and didn't cost me $60-80 that the guy charges to do this to old scales. Can't remember his name but I think he is out of the game of modding scales. I also cut out notches in the small brackets that hold the plastic balance points on the frame. This lets you see where the beams balance points are sitting and not rubbing against the metal bracket on the inside.

Comment

• Mad Charlie
              Warrior
              • May 2017

"Can't remember his name"

Scott Parker, I believe is his name, and I understand he is very busy.

Comment

• joedirt199
                Warrior
                • Jul 2015

Yup that is right. Some guys had issues with getting their scales back in a timely manner. Guess that is when he got busy.

Comment

• Viper
                  Bloodstained
                  • Oct 2017

I liked mi 505 scale.. and I like more my 510. I would not trust an electronic scale for the same or lower budget. Electronics can be very heat sensitive, and if this happens while you are using it, no way to spot it.

Comment

• Wheelhorse
                    Warrior
                    • May 2014

Redding has a mechanical scale that is very good and unlike the junk RCBS is pushing now, it's made in the USA.

Comment

Working...
                    X