• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • captmorgan47
    Unwashed
    • Dec 2017

6.5 grendel primers

have question about primers.....what do you use....ive been told that you need to use small rifle mag primers.. is this the best one to use....DICK
  • A5BLASTER
    Chieftain
    • Mar 2015

Cci 450 is what I'm useing and they seem to be the most suggested.

Comment

• muvef
      Warrior
      • Mar 2017

Rem 7.5's in my precision loads. I've tried half a dozen others and these performed the best. Plinksters get Wolf or Winchester.

Comment

• 1Shot
        Warrior
        • Feb 2018

CCI 450, CCI BR-4, Rem 7 1/2 is what I have been working with. CCI 450 is what mostly works best for me.

Comment

• maxxmojo
          Bloodstained
          • Jul 2016

I've been using the CCI450's and have been plenty happy with them. A buddy of mine prefers the CCI400's though.

Comment

• LRRPF52
            Super Moderator
            • Sep 2014

Page 67 in Volume II of the 6.5 Grendel Handbooks covers this, and is synonymous with what primers are appropriate for the AR15 and its floating firing pin.

Here's a chart showing the different thicknesses. You want the thicker primer cups that are over .020" thick. Most of your AR15-friendly primers are .025" thick. Also add CCI 41s to that list, which we did in the Handbooks. I personally have been using mostly Remington 7 1/2 Bench Rest SRPs, as well as some CCI 450s.

NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• Klem
              Chieftain
              • Aug 2013

CCI450 for the thicker cup. Not only does it mitigate the free floating pin UD risk it also helps contain higher pressures. Guys in F-Class .223 who push pressure to get to 1,000yds use it religiously.

Comment

• Taz575
                Warrior
                • Jul 2018

Do we still need to use the thicker cup primers in bolt action Grendels? It looks like it would be better with the higher pressure reloading?

Comment

• LRRPF52
                  Super Moderator
                  • Sep 2014

Originally posted by Taz575 View Post
                  Do we still need to use the thicker cup primers in bolt action Grendels? It looks like it would be better with the higher pressure reloading?
                  One of the recommendations I've seen from a large reloading component manufacturer (don't recall which one off the top of my head), was that for any cartridges that work at more than 50,000psi, it's a good idea to use the thicker primers in order to prevent cratering, blanking, or piercing.
                  NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• Taz575
                    Warrior
                    • Jul 2018

Good info! Does anyone know the thickness of the S&B primers? If not, I will need to do some more shopping! Bullets are on order (95gr VMax, 100gr Nosler BT, 123gr SST, 130gr GameChanger from Sierra), reading thru the Reloading Books from buildbox, brass is here, just need to get some other powders (I have Tac, Varget, RL15, looking to get some CFE223, 8208XBR, 748 and H335) and maybe primers!

Comment

• grendelnubi
                      Warrior
                      • Apr 2017

I experienced a double fire the other day using American Gunner. First time it ever happen to me. Not sure what to think about it. This was factory ammo....

In my reloads I have been using CCI450 and have noticed cartridge rocking on a flat surface. If I do the same test with WSR primers, it is stable and they do appear to be below the case surface, CCI450 no so much. I am using Hornady brass. It is hard to measure but I am sure the 2 thousands height difference of the CCI450 may be extruding a little. My biggest concern is if it is affecting seating depth measurement which I believe it could be.

Comment

• bj139
                        Chieftain
                        • Mar 2017

Primers should be seated fully. If they protrude they are not seated enough. I read where the priming compound must be crushed slightly.
                        I seat them to the stop in a Lee hand priming tool and have not had a problem with priming in 40 years.

Comment

• Cooper
                          Unwashed
                          • Apr 2018

Originally posted by Taz575 View Post
                          Good info! Does anyone know the thickness of the S&B primers? If not, I will need to do some more shopping! Bullets are on order (95gr VMax, 100gr Nosler BT, 123gr SST, 130gr GameChanger from Sierra), reading thru the Reloading Books from buildbox, brass is here, just need to get some other powders (I have Tac, Varget, RL15, looking to get some CFE223, 8208XBR, 748 and H335) and maybe primers!
                          I've being using the standard S&B primers in my Howa mini action. They also do a magnum version of the S&B primer. From what I tell the magnum version don't appear to have thicker cups. I'm still under max loads in the Grendel.

I've tried the CCI450. But the S&B work pretty good for me. I also use them in my 6.5 Creedmoor.

Comment

• 1Shot
                            Warrior
                            • Feb 2018

I experienced a double fire the other day using American Gunner. First time it ever happen to me. Not sure what to think about it. This was factory ammo....

One thing I learned a long time ago, early 1980s, when I started loading for the M1 Gerand was DO NOT USE FEDERAL PRIMERS. I learned this after having experienced about 3 different times double and triple fire with 210 Match. Also had this confirmed by a number of high power (over the coarse) shooters where you either used M1s or M1A1/14s and later ARs. Some said that the cup was too thin and others said that it was just that the priming compound it's self was more sensitive. I do not know which it is but I never had any other primer I used slam fire. I have used CCI 400, BR-2, Rem 91/2, WW and Wolf LR in the M1 with no problems. I have used CCI 400, 450, BR-4, Rem.71/2, WW and Wolf SR Mag in the ARs with no problems. By the way the Wolf primers were not just hum ho plinking primers. They were the most consistent accuracy making primer I as well as many precision bench rest shoots had ever found and it just happened that they were less expensive than others. They are no longer imported into the US. If I could get a steady supply that is all I would use. I still have a stash for certain special weapons loads but they are slowing being used up.
                            I see that in the data about primers in the Grendel loading book that the Federal primer is supposed to have the same thickness as the CCI 450 so over the years they may have changed the cup or it could be that it was the priming compound it's self that was the problem. I guess this is a long way around the barn in getting to the point that it my be the Federal primer in that Federal ammo that caused your double fire unless you have a short reset on your trigger and you just bump fired.

Comment

• Popeye212
                              Chieftain
                              • Jan 2018

After the last group I think I am in love GMM205M

Comment

Working...
                              X