New grendel user...help with ammo selection.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Steelpanther02
    Unwashed
    • Feb 2018

Nice. Pretty much selecting hunting ammo is gather up several different kinds and see which is effective and which one/ones like your rifle. As for plinking and practice yes...yes I have and can and will shoot the cheap wolf steel case...way too many myths out there about steel case btw. But I'm thinking 130g berger should be nice along with the old reliable 123g hornady sst.

Comment

• Mad Charlie
      Warrior
      • May 2017

I am going to be working with 129 ABLR, the Gold Dot, and the 120 Pro Hunter this year. Had the 129's in the mag last year, but didn't get a shot that I was sure of, so I didn't shoot. The 129's run about 3/4 in my Satern barrel from a bench at 100. I do like bonded bullets the best for hunting.

Comment

• Steelpanther02
        Unwashed
        • Feb 2018

At this point I'm gonna load up on steel case for plinking and practice and some factory 123g sst and some 130g-140g...yes I know I wont get the awesome range and BC with the heavy grains but most of my shots this year will be 100yrds and in...maybe 200yrds at most so hopefully I shouldn't see a big drop in performance.

Comment

• A5BLASTER
          Chieftain
          • Mar 2015

Originally posted by Steelpanther02 View Post
          At this point I'm gonna load up on steel case for plinking and practice and some factory 123g sst and some 130g-140g...yes I know I wont get the awesome range and BC with the heavy grains but most of my shots this year will be 100yrds and in...maybe 200yrds at most so hopefully I shouldn't see a big drop in performance.
          130 should do fine but 140 might be pushing a lil heavy and long unless you got a 20 inch barrel or bolt action.

That's just my thinking.

Comment

• Steelpanther02
            Unwashed
            • Feb 2018

Ok cool. Also I have a 18 inch barrel with a 1/8 twist and it's a heavy barrel. Federal makes 140g so by no means am I saying your wrong but do you have or know anyone who has used 130130-140g? By the way I'm sure a 123g or 129g or even the 130g will do the job but I'm thinking 200 yards and in the heavy grain should be ok but I would like more info on the heavy stuff.

Comment

• A5BLASTER
              Chieftain
              • Mar 2015

Ok cool. Also I have a 18 inch barrel with a 1/8 twist and it's a heavy barrel. Federal makes 140g so by no means am I saying your wrong but do you have or know anyone who has used 130130-140g? By the way I'm sure a 123g or 129g or even the 130g will do the job but I'm thinking 200 yards and in the heavy grain should be ok but I would like more info on the heavy stuff.
              No don't know any one who has used anything over 130 in the grendel.

I use the 129 ablr often it's becoming one of fav rounds, in my 18 inch jp barrels and it shoots dam good out my 16 AA barrel.

Need to see if PF still has that load and order me some more.

200 or less yards I don't think the weight of the 140 range bullets will 've the problem I think the length will just eat up so much case volume you might not get enough speed to reach reliable expansion levels not just lower expansion speed but high enough speed to get atleast some mushroom.

Hope this helps sir.

Comment

• Steelpanther02
                Unwashed
                • Feb 2018

Yeah...kinda hanging my head but I'll still do as much research as I can but I think your right. Again I'm sure there's nothing wrong with the 123g sst or or the ablr but I wonder how does the ablr work from 0-100? Also I see that it has been an option in the past but how about core lokt? Lol

Comment

• Tipsymutt
                  Bloodstained
                  • Apr 2016

For hunting, I like the Partitions, especially in the Grendel, since they always perform well at lower velocities.

Comment

• A5BLASTER
                    Chieftain
                    • Mar 2015

Yeah...kinda hanging my head but I'll still do as much research as I can but I think your right. Again I'm sure there's nothing wrong with the 123g sst or or the ablr but I wonder how does the ablr work from 0-100? Also I see that it has been an option in the past but how about core lokt? Lol
                    It's a bonded bullet so it should work just fine and carry it's mass through the animal for two holes to make a blood trail.

Comment

• murfvol
                      Bloodstained
                      • Oct 2016

I have nothing insightful to add other than Buds has some good deals on SAT (<$0.90/round) at times.

Also, it's good to see another western NC poster on here. My local range (south of Morganton) is overrun with 6.5 CM guys (terrific folks), and I'm the token Grendel shooter.

Comment

• howl
                        Warrior
                        • Nov 2015

"I would use the Hornady 123 SST or Federal 120 fusion which I think uses the Speer Gold Dot bullet and from the experience of Double Naught Spy using the Federal 90 gr TNT ammo on hogs I am sure that it would be a winner on these size deer"

+1

Also, having killed a pile of whitetails with 6.5mm 120gr bullets, I suggest there is no need for anything heavier to get an exit. And the heavier bullets will suffer for velocity from the Grendel, so you're going to get less impressive results on target using the heavier bullets.

Comment

• Steelpanther02
                          Unwashed
                          • Feb 2018

I've not done much research on the ablr but AA makes the lapua scenar I've read is the mack daddy of the grendel but your gonna pay for it. But at this point I'm for sure going to get hand loads made of whatever I choose which will probably be a bit of a variety at first then kinda see what my rifle likes best. For sure though the sst and ablr are able deer killers anywhere from 0-500 I'd say.

Comment

• PrecisionFirearms
                            Warrior
                            • Apr 2011

As a one time New Member Gift, I will discount our ammo by 15% if you want to try it. Limited to 4 boxes.

Mark Hostetter
                            Custom AR-15 Type Rifles and Uppers. Specializing in 6.5 Grendel, 6.8 SPC, 308, 260 Remington, 243, and 5.56 or 223 Wylde Chambers. We build on the AR15 Type Action and AR10 or LR308 action. We use Barrels from Lilja, Bartlein, Hart, Kreiger, and Lothar Walther. Precision Firearms is an FFL licensed firearm manufacturer. We build custom, highly accurate, AR15 Rifles and Uppers for LE, competition, match, varmint, and sport applications.
                            "Precision - The Pinnacle of Perfection."

Comment

Working...
                            X