brass from 12 inch and 18 inch Grendels.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • mdewitt71
    Warrior
    • Dec 2016

brass from 12 inch and 18 inch Grendels.

Just got back from my first range session with my PSA 12 inch Grendel... along with my 18 inch.
    Will make a seperate report later but, wanted to post pic of the brass.
    I can def tell which brass was fired from the 12 inch and which from the 18 inch.

12 inch PSA 1:8 SS barrel on top:

This brass is straight from the ground into my brass bag and not been cleaned yet... but, there is more striations in the brass from the 12 inch PSA upper than the 18 inch (it is only at top of cases).

Anyone seen this before, anything to worry about?
    12 inch Upper shot great.... in fact I did several 3.9" to 4.2" groups on steel at 200 yards with American Gunner today... first 100 rounds out of the barrel.
    Last edited by mdewitt71; 03-17-2019, 07:29 PM.
    ― George Orwell
  • Sticks
    Chieftain
    • Dec 2016

I'd be looking at that chamber for either dust/dirt, or bad reaming.
    Sticks

Catchy sig line here.

Comment

• VASCAR2
      Chieftain
      • Mar 2011

Brass reminds me of the brass which came out of the Faxon barrels where the chamber contained residue from the QPQ/Nitride process. Looks like the chamber walls are rough and could stand to be polished. Whether the chamber will smooth from shooting I can’t say.

I think buzzing the chamber with barrel brush and oil and/or a barrel mop with Flitz could help polish the chamber. I use flitz on a barrel mop attached to a cleaning rod in a hand drill to polish the chamber of rimfire barrels which improves functioning. CMMG recommends the buzzing the rimfire chambers on their rimfire barrels with a chamber brush and oil/CLP attached to a hand drill.

Comment

• mdewitt71
        Warrior
        • Dec 2016

My new chamber brushes have shipped..... Will give it a good cleaning and see what I can do.
        I admit I did not even clean it, just looked it over and lubed the bcg and shot it.
        Last edited by mdewitt71; 08-19-2018, 11:45 PM.
        ― George Orwell

Comment

• IescapedCali
          Warrior
          • Sep 2017

Your chamber sure seems to have its own signature on brass. That one scratch about 1/4” back from the shoulder looks kinda deep. Got a borescope that you can use to look for the culprit, or can you get a casting of your chamber? Before you polish, it bight be good to know exactly what you’re fighting against.

Comment

• LRRPF52
            Super Moderator
            • Sep 2014

Originally posted by mdewitt71 View Post
            My new chamber brushes have shipped..... Will give it a good cleaning and see what I can do.
            I admit I did not even clean it, just looked it over and lubed the bcg and shot it.
            Wrap some patches or a large patch on your chamber brush, apply some polishing paste (Flitz, JB Bore Paste, etc.), screw the brush into a rod section, chuck it in a drill, and go to work on the chamber with the drill spinning and moving it rapidly back and forth.
            NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• mdewitt71
              Warrior
              • Dec 2016

Originally posted by LRRPF52 View Post
              Wrap some patches or a large patch on your chamber brush, apply some polishing paste (Flitz, JB Bore Paste, etc.), screw the brush into a rod section, chuck it in a drill, and go to work on the chamber with the drill spinning and moving it rapidly back and forth.
              thanks will do..... my package is due tomorrow... I will do it while sportn my new boonie too.
              Gotta go see if I can find some Flitz at Walmart or Lowes, I know I can get it off of Amazon but, that would be another 2 day wait.

EDIT* I just ordered some Flitz from Amazon (due here WED) in case I do not find any local.
              Last edited by mdewitt71; 08-20-2018, 04:26 PM.
              ― George Orwell

Comment

• mdewitt71
                Warrior
                • Dec 2016

So, I used Flitz on the chamber and cleaned it really really well and took it to the range today.....
                No Difference.
                Brass still looks like crap.
                In fact I chambered a round and didnt even fire it and it came out looking like hell.

I emailed PSA since it has not even been 30 days; they are sending a RA# with return label.
                No need to mess with it any further, I was not looking to spend money on a honing brush.
                ― George Orwell

Comment

Working...
                X