Hornady 129gr Interlocks... anyone load them for Grendel yet?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • FW Conch
    Warrior
    • Nov 2014

^ I'm guessing the 2,994fps is really 2,494fps ??? ^

Comment

• mdewitt71
      Warrior
      • Dec 2016

One in 8 twist and yes 2494 was middle change velocity.
      ― George Orwell

Comment

• JASmith
        Chieftain
        • Sep 2014

Some folks have reported that recent lots of CFE223 are burning hotter/faster than those more than a few years old.

That could explain the primers and higher than expected velocity.

Yet another reason to begin with starting loads and exercise due diligence to pressure signs and accuracy while moving to higher loads even with new lots of powders one has enjoyed great success with earlier lots.
        shootersnotes.com

"To those who have fought and almost died for it, freedom has a flavor the protected will never know."
        -- Author Unknown

"If at first you do succeed, try not to look astonished!" -- Milton Berle

Comment

• JASmith
          Chieftain
          • Sep 2014

The 1-8 twist should stabilize them so the accuracy challenge is likely due to another factor.
          shootersnotes.com

"To those who have fought and almost died for it, freedom has a flavor the protected will never know."
          -- Author Unknown

"If at first you do succeed, try not to look astonished!" -- Milton Berle

Comment

• mdewitt71
            Warrior
            • Dec 2016

I don't know if its the powder or not, all I know is they were all over the paper for sure.
            I fired 90gr TNTs hand loads into an inch right after and got under 3/4" with Hornady Black.... American Gunner was under an inch as well.
            I will try em with some other powders later.
            ― George Orwell

Comment

• rickt300
              Warrior
              • Jan 2017

Originally posted by mdewitt71 View Post
              So, I just got back from range today with these 129gr Interlocks....
              UGLY.

I got really impressive speeds, way over listed speeds from the Hornady manual but, they were like a shotgun pattern on paper out of my
              18 inch Satern barrel.
              Starline Brass (NEW)
              2.250" COL
              CCI 450

CFE 31.0gr = 2474 FPS with 12.2 SD
              CFE 31.2gr = 2494 FPS with 9.5 SD
              CFE 31.5 = 2525 FPS with 13.9 SD

None shot under 2.5" at 100 yards...... brass looked OK, semi flattened primers but, no extractor marks.
              I might try em with another powder but, I am thinking they just might be a lil long and heavy for this barrel.
              Neither of my rifles shoot their best groups with CFE. Both do much better with AR Comp and BLC2. Clean your barrel thoroughly between powder changes. That said I have yet to shoot a groups as big as 2.5 inches with any powder bullet combination from my Grendels.

Comment

Working...
              X