• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • rpaape342
    Unwashed
    • Feb 2018

130gr RDF revisited.

Last edited by rpaape342; 09-11-2018, 03:46 PM.
  • grendelnubi
    Warrior
    • Apr 2017

I just purchased on box of a hundren RDF 130gr the other day. Looking to do a ladder with CFE and 8208. Also shooting an Odin Works 18". Not sure but but i believe the smallest jump I can get using mag lenght would be .125.

Nosler indicates the compound ogive on the RDF makes it insenstive to jump. I guess we will see. It will take me a while to get an results. I cant shoot over 200 yards at my local range but i have a friend who has access to a private range with 500 yards.

Comment

• rpaape342
      Unwashed
      • Feb 2018

Comment

• Sticks
        Chieftain
        • Dec 2016

Some have had success but with lots of case prep (neck turning) and are satisfied with the slower speeds.

4 different powders for me and 3 boxes sent downrange in velocity node and group testing with nothing worthy to show for it. I love the BC but going with the 130 ELDs.
        Sticks

Catchy sig line here.

Comment

• BluntForceTrauma
          Administrator
          • Feb 2011

Originally posted by grendelnubi View Post
          Nosler indicates the compound ogive on the RDF makes it insenstive to jump.
          If Nosler claims that, I think that's a bit irresponsible.

A hybrid ogive — first popularized by Brian Litz of Berger Bullets, to his credit — simply makes the first portion of the ogive that engages the rifling a standard tangent arc (and the second portion of the ogive from there to the tip is a secant arc). So, if a standard tangent bullet is "insensitive" to jump, then so is a hybrid ogive. The converse is also true.

I think it's more accurate to say a compound ogive is less sensitive to jump than a comparable secant ogive, while rivaling it for form factor and ballistic coefficient.

It's well-established in my mind that this is the best, modern way to design long-range bullets.
          :: 6.5 GRENDEL Deer and Targets :: 6mmARC Targets and Varmints and Deer :: 22 ARC Varmints and Targets

:: I Drank the Water :: Revelation 21:6 ::

Comment

• centerfire
            Warrior
            • Dec 2017

Insensitive to accuracy too.

Comment

• grendelnubi
              Warrior
              • Apr 2017

This is what I got out of the Nosler Blog..

"Nosler’s meticulously optimized compound ogive, which bridges traditional tangent and secant bullet shapes, is insensitive to seating depth, allowing handloaders to seat bullets with ease, an advantage for competitors who often load hundreds of rounds per sitting in preparation for a match. Also lending itself to the bullet’s sleek form factor is a long, drag reducing boattail, making the product optimal for long range efficiency."

I know I saw a direct reference to jump somewhere, but haven't been able to find it.

Comment

Working...
              X