• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • toolsofthetrade
    Warrior
    • May 2011

Predator hunting load suggestions

Ok. I've been using 95gr vmax and am happy with them, a friend is now using a grendel and he says the grendel is doing massive damage but not dropping them as fast as he would like. So my thinking is he needs a bullet with a thin jacket and soft core that will rapidly expand at grendel velocities. (More rapidly than the 95gr vmax)
    What bullet should he be looking at?
    He is not concerned with fur, just wants them to drop as fast as possible. (Yes he understands shot placement, just looking for more hydrostatic shock/ temporary wound cavity performance)
  • A5BLASTER
    Chieftain
    • Mar 2015

I would say the 100 grain nbt for a cheapish bullet or the 85-95 grain trex by maker for a higher priced bullet.

Lil more mass but still supper fast bullets and copper if he goes with the trex bullet.

Do they make a 100 grain speer bullet maybe?

Comment

• VASCAR2
      Chieftain
      • Mar 2011

The 85 grain Sierra Varmint expand/fragment at 6.5 Grendel velocities. DNS drops yotes pretty good with Factory Federal 90 grain TNT. From water testing 100 grain Sierra Varmint lost more mass and fragmented better than 100 grain Nosler Ballistic Tip hunting bullet from 16” 6.5 Grendel.
      Last edited by VASCAR2; 09-16-2018, 10:13 PM.

Comment

• VASCAR2
        Chieftain
        • Mar 2011

Night Ops, Precision Firearms, Alexander Arms and Underwood sell loaded 6.5 Grendel ammo along with Federal and Hornady. Just info for members who don't reload.

Last edited by VASCAR2; 09-16-2018, 10:13 PM.

Comment

• toolsofthetrade
          Warrior
          • May 2011

He's used night ops nbt load, 95gr vmax and is trying night ops CC next

Comment

• Double Naught Spy
            Chieftain
            • Sep 2013

Originally posted by toolsofthetrade View Post
            Ok. I've been using 95gr vmax and am happy with them, a friend is now using a grendel and he says the grendel is doing massive damage but not dropping them as fast as he would like. So my thinking is he needs a bullet with a thin jacket and soft core that will rapidly expand at grendel velocities. (More rapidly than the 95gr vmax)
            What bullet should he be looking at?
            He is not concerned with fur, just wants them to drop as fast as possible. (Yes he understands shot placement, just looking for more hydrostatic shock/ temporary wound cavity performance)
            I get it. He doesn't like having to go out and track down an animal that was hit and ran off a bit. I don't either. It takes time. You track scent all through your hunt area. Then, if the animal gets into high vegetation, it can be a bugger to find, assuming you find it.

As noted, I have been using Speer TNT 90 gr. ammo and had good luck with them. The American Eagle factory version is coming out of my rifle at 2800 fps, but that still is not always achieving the hydrostatic shock that your buddy wants. Even when my coyotes drop immediately, there is no way for me to know if it is the result of hydrostatic shock, or fragments of the bullet impacting the spine, or by the hydraulic shock (temporary wound cavity) including the spine and thereby immobilizing the coyote until it succumbs to the massive wound caused by the bullet. This would be the type of result your buddy wants... a bullet that produces a CNS kill despite the fact that the bullet's trajectory may not physically carry it through a CNS structure. That is actually a lot to ask.

Here I am specifically referring to hydrostatic shock as the damage to the brain/brain stem coming as a result of a pulse traveling through the body from a remote wounding location which is best achieved with higher velocity impacts, but also where it is reported to be more likely to occur when combined with highly frangible ammo that purportedly enhances the affect. The problem with hydrostatic and hydrostatic shock is that even with high velocity projectiles beyond the Grendel range, neither is a given.

So your buddy understands shot placement, is getting massive damage, but is not putting down coyotes fast enough with Grendel. One obvious suggestion would be to move to a higher velocity caliber/cartridge that would increase the chances of actually getting hydrostatic and hydraulic shock. The other option is to actually work on his shot placement to achieve an actual physical breakdown, such as by double shoulder shots that break bones in both limbs and will immobilize the coyote until it (quickly) succumbs to the wound. In other words, he needs to be working on breaking down the coyote's locomotion abilities as well as achieving massive tissue damage and hoping to achieve hydrostatic and/or hydraulic shock.
            Kill a hog. Save the planet.
            My videos - https://www.youtube.com/user/HornHillRange

Comment

• toolsofthetrade
              Warrior
              • May 2011

Agreed doublenaught. He also uses .223 and his comment to me was he thinks they drop faster from the .223 (night ops 60gr nbt). I'm just trying to find a combo that will work.better for him.

Comment

• A5BLASTER
                Chieftain
                • Mar 2015

Headshots..

Comment

• Dead Center Miss
                  Warrior
                  • Sep 2018

I've always been a fan of the speer TNT bullet, although I have not tried them out of the Grendel yet.

Comment

Working...
                  X