Most popular/accurate powder for the 6.5 grendel?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • grendelnubi
    Warrior
    • Apr 2017

I like to keep things fun and for me testing various loads is a learning experience and is just plain fun. One of my friends gave me a lb of X-Terminator he never used and didn't really have a need for.

I loaded up 5 rounds of 27.7grs, 2.23 COAL, Ogive to base of 1.710 (.089 jump), 100 Nosler Ballistic Tip and went to the range. One of the things I noticed right out is this powder is very consistent to measure. This make reloading a lot more efficient.

During the range visit, I was surprise to see .7 MOA group. 4 touching and one .7 low. This is truly the best group out of my 12.7 Faxon to date. I was beginning to wonder if this barrel would shoot at all. I am going to do a validation test and also try 27.4grs with the 120gr NBT to see how it shoots. If it is shoots then it will become my hog load for sure. My deer load this year is 30grs of CFE223 or possibly 28grs of 8208, both with 123gr SST. My point of impact is the same with all three of these loads.

I have used almost a lb of CFE before getting it to shoot 1 moa. 8208 was a little easier to get to group. I have a lb of AR Comp which I want to test also.

Comment

• Gusmeister
      Warrior
      • May 2017

I have been shooting CFE 223 for some years now. Great in 308. Also great in 5.56. And then about a year ago I tried 8208. It did not do well in the 308 but has been stellar for accuracy in the 5.56. In the Grendel I also got a nice improvement in accuracy and equal velocity with the 123gr ELD bullet. 8208 is a very short cut powder so compressed loads have not been an issue.

But... quite out of blue I blew some primers with 8208 a couple months ago. It was with the same load I use with 123gr ELD's only the bullets were 120gr seconds. Up until the blown primers (2 of 5 loads chrono'd) the only clue was the bullets were going faster than they should have been going. I still do not understand what went wrong. The 3 remaining primers looked fine and the brass looked good. But seeing this and the concerns for 8208 on this forum is at least a warning. I would say most people should not start with 8208 as they learn the cartridge. The 6.5 Grendel is a tricky pressure balance in any case so it's a good idea to learn on a more forgiving powder. I have never loaded anything heavier than a 123gr with 8208 so can't comment on the effects with heavier bullets.

My experience has been from 107 to 123gr bullets and about 1,000 rounds so far. I find 8208 a virtually ideal powder if you are careful, conservative and are comfortable with the pressure limitations inherit to the cartridge. If you want to firewall it, you have the wrong cartridge and the wrong powder.

Comment

• Bobke
        Warrior
        • Dec 2015

Comment

• Gusmeister
          Warrior
          • May 2017

Bobke,

Thank you for your insights. In 5.56 with an 18" AR barrel and Sierra 77gr MK bullets, 8208 gives me .7 MOA at 200 and 500 yards. And when things are just perfect it gives me 2.0 MOA at 1,000 yards. It is a silly distance for a 5.56 but I get lucky occasionally. These are 5 shot groups.

I took the "blown primer load" and cut it down .7gr. Everything is fine and velocities still seem high for the powder load. I don't think LOA was an issue with a 2.255 LOA. But honestly, I have not yet done the due diligence on this as other priorities have come up. I will report back after looking further into it.

Comment

• centerfire
            Warrior
            • Dec 2017

I found 8208 too fast and too much volume for 123gr. It's better suited for 100gr pills. There's too many variables to answer the OP's question. I see CFE recommended the most but I haven't had much luck with it (LvrE).

I have never been lucky enough to be successful with a single powder across multiple cartridges and platforms. If you don't have a cabinet full of different powders you might not be trying hard enough.
            Last edited by centerfire; 09-28-2018, 10:03 AM.

Comment

• Triticum
              Bloodstained
              • Jul 2018

I just bought two lbs. of 8208 and worked up a load for 123 gr ELD-M (27.8 grs @ 2500 FPS out of my 22" barrel). The accuracy and velocity is great, but now you guys have my paranoid that I may be pushing my luck with pressure. I suppose I can take the un-opened can back and get something else like 2520. I've tried CFE in the past, but the accuracy wasn't what I was hoping for.

Comment

• JASmith
                Chieftain
                • Sep 2014

Originally posted by Triticum View Post
                I just bought two lbs. of 8208 and worked up a load for 123 gr ELD-M (27.8 grs @ 2500 FPS out of my 22" barrel). The accuracy and velocity is great, but now you guys have my paranoid that I may be pushing my luck with pressure. I suppose I can take the un-opened can back and get something else like 2520. I've tried CFE in the past, but the accuracy wasn't what I was hoping for.
                Unless one is a "one-load" person, that 8208 will do fine with any bullet weighing less than 120 grains. That means anything from the 107 gr TMK down to the 85 gr Varminter.

The 90 gr TNT has seen interest recently too.

In other words, shed a crocodile tear or two, then smile broadly when your 'plinking and powder burning" loads turn in superb accuracy with lighter and possibly less expensive bullets.
                shootersnotes.com

"To those who have fought and almost died for it, freedom has a flavor the protected will never know."
                -- Author Unknown

"If at first you do succeed, try not to look astonished!" -- Milton Berle

Comment

• A5BLASTER
                  Chieftain
                  • Mar 2015

If you like the speed and accuracy and your not having high pressure signs I wouldn't worrie about it and rock that bad boy.

Comment

• Popeye212
                    Chieftain
                    • Jan 2018

My go to load is about 28.0 and I have taken the 123eldm to 82.5 accuracy fell off but it OK for pressure. I have about decided about 28.3 is about right it gives me 2525 in the 123 SSt and hovers around 1.1 to 1.2 MOA. That is the best I have been able to get out of that bullet. I have no worries about a 28.0gr load. The 28.0 grain load in the 120 SMK is a winner.

Comment

• Triticum
                      Bloodstained
                      • Jul 2018

Originally posted by JASmith View Post
                      Unless one is a "one-load" person, that 8208 will do fine with any bullet weighing less than 120 grains. That means anything from the 107 gr TMK down to the 85 gr Varminter.

The 90 gr TNT has seen interest recently too.

In other words, shed a crocodile tear or two, then smile broadly when your 'plinking and powder burning" loads turn in superb accuracy with lighter and possibly less expensive bullets.
                      I've actually been thinking about getting some 90 gr TNTs for plinking/varmint use. If I decide against using the 8208 with the 123 gr pills I could just hold on to what I have and use it with the lighter bullets. Thanks for the suggestion!

Originally posted by A5BLASTER View Post
                      If you like the speed and accuracy and your not having high pressure signs I wouldn't worrie about it and rock that bad boy.
                      I am really happy with the load, my concern just comes from the fact that there is quite a bit of difference between published max loads for 123 gr bullets and 8208 (from 27.0 to 28.5 grains, and I'm right in the middle). I also worry because from what I understand by the time you see pressure signs on the brass you are WAY over pressure. I'm worried that I may be in that zone where I'm over pressure for what the gun is meant to handle long term, but not high enough for it to show on the brass. Then again, like you said, it may be nothing to worry about and I should just roll with it. Anyway, thanks for your input!

Comment

• Gusmeister
                        Warrior
                        • May 2017

I've actually been thinking about getting some 90 gr TNTs for plinking/varmint use. If I decide against using the 8208 with the 123 gr pills I could just hold on to what I have and use it with the lighter bullets. Thanks for the suggestion!

I am really happy with the load, my concern just comes from the fact that there is quite a bit of difference between published max loads for 123 gr bullets and 8208 (from 27.0 to 28.5 grains, and I'm right in the middle). I also worry because from what I understand by the time you see pressure signs on the brass you are WAY over pressure. I'm worried that I may be in that zone where I'm over pressure for what the gun is meant to handle long term, but not high enough for it to show on the brass. Then again, like you said, it may be nothing to worry about and I should just roll with it. Anyway, thanks for your input!
                        VERY VERY VERY well said. One of the things I just love about reloading (in my 48th year) is that it makes me think, it makes me ask advice, it makes me confident and it makes me doubt myself. If reloading were easy, self evident and always worked out well..... well.... I'd just by factory ammo.

Comment

• giannid
                          Bloodstained
                          • Sep 2018

Looks like I'm using 8208. Stopped at a local sporting store that was going out of business. Had a keg for $120.

Comment

Working...
                          X