• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • giannid
    Bloodstained
    • Sep 2018

100 grain or 120 grain bullet most effective for 6.5 grendel

Looking for a hunting and target shooting bullet and wondering where I should be. Game will be medium size like deer and hogs. I do want the ability to shoot further when target shooting though. Obviously there's other grain bullets available the are lighter, heavier and in between. Do you really lose that much energy with going with a lighter bullet or does the extra speed make up for it? I need to stick with a bullet that is good for hunting that will expand on game.
  • A5BLASTER
    Chieftain
    • Mar 2015

Gives us details on the gun.

Barrel length?
    Chamber?
    Twist rate?

How far do you intend to take game?

How far do you intend to shoot target?

Comment

• LR1955
      Super Moderator
      • Mar 2011

Originally posted by giannid View Post
      Looking for a hunting and target shooting bullet and wondering where I should be. Game will be medium size like deer and hogs. I do want the ability to shoot further when target shooting though. Obviously there's other grain bullets available the are lighter, heavier and in between. Do you really lose that much energy with going with a lighter bullet or does the extra speed make up for it? I need to stick with a bullet that is good for hunting that will expand on game.
      Have you read any of the bullet related threads in the hunting forum? Good place to see what bullets the guys are using.

LR55

Comment

• JASmith
        Chieftain
        • Sep 2014

Originally posted by LR1955 View Post
        Have you read any of the bullet related threads in the hunting forum? Good place to see what bullets the guys are using.

LR55
        That is a good place to start.

There is also an excellent hunting bullet discussion on the Grendel Reloading Handbooks.
        shootersnotes.com

"To those who have fought and almost died for it, freedom has a flavor the protected will never know."
        -- Author Unknown

"If at first you do succeed, try not to look astonished!" -- Milton Berle

Comment

• JASmith
          Chieftain
          • Sep 2014

Originally posted by A5BLASTER View Post
          Gives us details on the gun.

Barrel length?
          Chamber?
          Twist rate?

How far do you intend to take game?

How far do you intend to shoot target?
          shootersnotes.com

"To those who have fought and almost died for it, freedom has a flavor the protected will never know."
          -- Author Unknown

Comment

• 1Shot
            Warrior
            • Feb 2018

When you speak of which bullet are you talking about loaded factory ammo or just the bullet to hand load with?

Comment

• giannid
              Bloodstained
              • Sep 2018

Barrel is an 18 inch 1 in 8 twist. This is really a grendel specific question, not a general bullet question. I'm asking how the 100 are versus the 120's. My question is basically what are the advantages/disadvantages of each in this caliber. I'm not going to be doing any competition shooting but I do go ding steel at 7-800 yards on occasion and don't have a semi auto that will do that. Would like to be able to take game out to 400 yards if possible.

Comment

• A5BLASTER
                Chieftain
                • Mar 2015

Barrel is an 18 inch 1 in 8 twist. This is really a grendel specific question, not a general bullet question. I'm asking how the 100 are versus the 120's. My question is basically what are the advantages/disadvantages of each in this caliber. I'm not going to be doing any competition shooting but I do go ding steel at 7-800 yards on occasion and don't have a semi auto that will do that. Would like to be able to take game out to 400 yards if possible.
                100 grain bullets on game depending on material used in bullet 400 or less yards.
                100 grain on targets depending on bc of bullet and shooters skill and accuracy of the rifle 800 yards easy.

120 grain depending on material bullets is made of and deer/hog sized game with proper bullet placement 600 yards.
                120 grain bullet depending on bc of bullet skills of shooter and accuracy of the rifle 1000 yards.

Higher bc will always out do faster muzzle velocity for 400+ yard target.

Higher sd of the the choosen bullet will always penatrate deeper on animals, closer the sd of a bullet is too .264 or above the better it will penatrate.

With the weights listed for hunting and 700 yard target I would use the 120 weight class as long as it had the higher bc and sd level of the two weights.

Comment

• JASmith
                  Chieftain
                  • Sep 2014

Try the 123 ELD and SST bullets for accuracy. If they satisfy your accuracy standards, they will be your best bet for hunting, dinging steel, and casual competition.

The 100 gr bullets will likely be a skosh more accurate in calm winds, and be a bit flatter shooting over the first few hundred yards. The penalty will be significantly more wind drift that hurts accuracy, and less effective performance on game and steel past 300-400 yards.
                  shootersnotes.com

-- Author Unknown

Comment

Working...
                  X