3rd trip to range, compared factory loaded ammo.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Sinclair
    Warrior
    • Feb 2018

3rd trip to range, compared factory loaded ammo.

Today, with just 46 rnds down the barrel, I tested Hornady Black 123 gr ELD-M against Federal American Eagle 120 gr OTM at 100 and 300 yards. The day was very overcast, cold 47 degrees with a light and steady 9mph wind from the ese at the 5:30 o'clock position. Hands down the Federal shot tighter, rounder, and more uniformly distributed grps with less drop and less wind drift.

I am ready to begin my load development for my rifle, my question, am I chasing bullet wt, BC, or velocity or some of each?

My rifle, CZ 527 Varmint in 6.5 Grendel
    650mm (25.56") medium heavy bull barrel
    PA 4-14 x 44 FFP milrad scope set to 10X
    Bipod set at 6" (lowest) extension.
    All groups were 2- 5 shot sets off of a bench with my fist as the rear support (trying to duplicate field conditions)
    The weather was cold, 47 deg, light 9 mph wind from the 5:30 o'clock position.

I have never done a load development for most accuracy always just for hunting accuracy only so I am a little intimidated as to what I am doing. On another thread several of you gave advice on how to proceed, but not on just what I am searching for.
    "A Patriot must always be ready to defend his Country against his government"
    Edward Abbey

"Stay out of trouble, Never give up, Never give in, Watch you're six, Hold the line, Stay Frosty."
    Dr. Sabastian Gorka, Hungarian by birth, American Patriot by Beliefs.
  • grayfox
    Chieftain
    • Jan 2017

You are searching for a combination of primer, brass type, powder, bullet and coal that delivers an acceptable accuracy for you out of that barrel. Personally I like to find 2 or three such combo's, of differing bullet weights.
    I look for "tight" average MVs, with low SD's (<10) and ES's (ideally in the teens or less), then I play with coal depths to find my best loads. Others have their routines, too, you want a repeatable, safe, good MV load.

The level of "Accuracy" is up to you to define, and whether the rifle/barrel/trigger/scope/shooter can achieve.
    Most Grendels work very well with one or more of the 123-class (or even 120-123 class since you have a bolt action), so mark that as one of your potential bullets.

Do you have any brass yet? Hornady or Lapua are the most-often used, and each will have its own average case volume thus each will have a slightly different powder charge for an accurate load. Lapua's will need a thinner de-priming pin during re-sizing b/c of a smaller flash hole.
    Do you have a chrony? You need one IMO to efficiently seek that accurate load.

The best thing you can get aside from proper reloading equipt, reloading manuals and a chrony, is the 2-volume set of Grendel Handbooks in the AR15 Buildbox section, in the Industry partners section of this forum. Tons of info for the grendel shooter, lots of explanations and really good reloading data. Always start low and work up.
    "Down the floor, out the door, Go Brandon Go!!!!!"

Comment

• Mad Charlie
      Warrior
      • May 2017

"Do you have a chrony? You need one IMO to efficiently seek that accurate load."

What he said.
      You are about to fall down a deep rabbit hole...

Comment

• glk45
        Bloodstained
        • Aug 2018

Originally posted by Mad Charlie View Post
        "Do you have a chrony? You need one IMO to efficiently seek that accurate load."

What he said.
        You are about to fall down a deep rabbit hole...
        You got that right.

Comment

• Gusmeister
          Warrior
          • May 2017

First of all... I envy you for what you have ahead. Reaching into the unknown with plans and goals (which will get reset many times) is a most satisfying passion. The advice so far is excellent IMO. I will repeat that if you do not have a chronograph you are largely wasting your time. Also have to add that keeping good records is not an option. Plus, some guys on the forum have a great depth of understanding of all thing 6.5 Grendel. They have been a great help to me many times.

Chasing target accuracy is a fairly new thing for me as well. IME target accuracy has a lot to do with getting the shooter out of the accuracy equation. So it's benches, bags, rear bags and learning how to isolate you from influencing the bullets flight. Personally I have trouble separating the two (as seen on the target) at less than 200 yards. That is to be able to see my mistakes. That means being able to see your bullet holes through your scope and to see where each bullet lands vs your input. A decent 10X scope can see 6.5mm bullet holes on white paper at 200 yards. Anyway... there's a thousand things you can do but that is not the need. Go shoot, work up loads, shoot more, rinse and repeat with full records. Please share.

Enjoy the journey!

Edit to add.... I went the bench & bag route. Others prefer the bipod on the bench or prefer prone. My total target experience is with bench & bag (actually a rifle rest).
          Last edited by Gusmeister; 09-30-2018, 03:06 PM.

Comment

• imaguy3
            Warrior
            • Mar 2018

Originally posted by Sinclair View Post
            I am ready to begin my load development for my rifle, my question, am I chasing bullet wt, BC, or velocity or some of each?

I have never done a load development for most accuracy always just for hunting accuracy only so I am a little intimidated as to what I am doing. On another thread several of you gave advice on how to proceed, but not on just what I am searching for.
            This method has worked great for me several times.
            Identifying a consistent and accurate load for your precision rifle while improving the overall efficiency of the load development process is a laudable goal. The 6.5 Guys met with Scott Satterlee …

As far as what you're chasing, decide what's important to you. For my hunting guns I decide on the bullet and powder I want to use first (for specific performance reasons). Then I see if I can develop a load to be happy with the accuracy/velocity.

Comment

Working...
            X