• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ZadFnark
    Unwashed
    • Jul 2018

Barrel / Ammo issue

Hi Guys,

I'm trying to get my 6.5 to shoot tightly. I'm having problems doing it, and I'm not sure if I have issues with the powder/barrel combination, or if my barrel is just borked.

The barrel I have is from AR Stoner, and was part of a complete upper I bought from Midway. The only time I ever bought a complete upper. Barrel is 20" with a 1:8 twist. To quote:

I'm using Hornady's 123 gr SST bullet. I do like this bullet with it's nice .51 BC value.

This is the latest group I got with my Grendel, at 200 yds.

To compare, my good old 6.8 SPC with a 16" barrel did this at the same distance:

I'm looking for any suggestions to tighten these up. I'm using 28 grains of IMR 8208. Would another powder help?

Thanks

Ed
  • LR1955
    Super Moderator
    • Mar 2011

Originally posted by ZadFnark View Post
    Hi Guys,

I'm trying to get my 6.5 to shoot tightly. I'm having problems doing it, and I'm not sure if I have issues with the powder/barrel combination, or if my barrel is just borked.

The barrel I have is from AR Stoner, and was part of a complete upper I bought from Midway. The only time I ever bought a complete upper. Barrel is 20" with a 1:8 twist. To quote:

I'm using Hornady's 123 gr SST bullet. I do like this bullet with it's nice .51 BC value.

This is the latest group I got with my Grendel, at 200 yds.

To compare, my good old 6.8 SPC with a 16" barrel did this at the same distance:

I'm looking for any suggestions to tighten these up. I'm using 28 grains of IMR 8208. Would another powder help?

Thanks

Ed
    Ed:

I really doubt that 28 grains of 8208 is the problem. And your results with your 6.8 show that you are not the problem.

Check to make sure your sighting system is secure and functional.

If your sights are fine, try another bullet. Let me suggest a 120 grain Sierra Match King. Very forgiving in terms of loading. If those don't shoot well, your AR Stoner barrel is lousy. Would not be the first AR Stoner barrel that didn't shoot.

LR55

Comment

• ZadFnark
      Unwashed
      • Jul 2018

Hi,

Thanks for the response.

The sight is set up good. I have a Vortex Crossfire II scope with a Vortex mount, so it's on pretty secured. The 6.8 had a cheap $50 scope with a fairly coarse crosshair on it. I was more worried about that one wobbly.

I've a box of Hornady Black, in 123 gr with ELD match bullets, so I'll try those out and see if the results are any different. If I do better, I'll try your suggestion with swapping bullets.

Ed

Comment

• Bigs28
        Chieftain
        • Feb 2016

The hornady american gunner seems to shoot well in every gun me and my buddies have shot. Like lr55 said, i would look into the optic and mounting. Doesn't hurt to take it off and start over. Also check to make sure the barrel nut is securely torqued on.

Comment

• ZadFnark
          Unwashed
          • Jul 2018

Scope is solid.

My brother (an AR-15 pro) helped me completely shim the barrel into the receiver, so that is very tight. We've done this with every AR I built this year.

Even my .450 Bushmaster with the cheap Bear Creek barrel shoots tight.

Comment

• Msalm
            Warrior
            • May 2018

Comment

• LRRPF52
              Super Moderator
              • Sep 2014

I wouldn't expect much more from the AR Stoner barrels.

If you want a more accurate barrel, I'd get one.

You might go through the trouble of doing all the accuracy-enhancing techniques, spending lots of range time and money, just to get what it has been giving you already.

That said, you might also try another bullet.

Look at the 120gr Scenar-L, 120 Nosler Ballistic Tip, or 123gr ELD-M.

123gr SST BC is actually .462, not that it matters that much at 200yds. I've shot mixed groups of 123gr SST, 123gr AMAX, and 120gr Scenar-L at 200yds through my lightweight Lilja barrel that were barely over 2".

What are the distances between rings on those targets?
              NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• ZadFnark
                Unwashed
                • Jul 2018

1" rings on the target.

Comment

• Sticks
                  Chieftain
                  • Dec 2016

SST is the bulk of your problem, though that is horrible even then. As suggested, try a different bullet or factory ammo - not SST.
                  Sticks

Catchy sig line here.

Comment

• 1Shot
                    Warrior
                    • Feb 2018

No doubt that the "AR Stoner barrel" is most likely made by Bear Creek Arsenal. THERE IS YOUR PROBLEM. Your target is a duplicate of a number of my targets from my 20" BCA upper with the same barrel as you described that I had to send back to them to have the barrel replaced. Every shot was a flier. When the barrel was replaced after around 60 rounds down the tube it started to group consistently but does not like Hornady 123 SST bullets. It will shoot 120 Speer Gold Dots and Sierra Pro hunters sub moa with IMR 8208. Do a search here on BCA barrels and you will see many problems with them just like yours. I would be sending that upper back for a refund or just get a better barrel and put it on. Check out the group buy barrels on this forum.
                    Last edited by 1Shot; 10-10-2018, 02:18 AM.

Comment

• bj139
                      Chieftain
                      • Mar 2017

What brand is your good old 6.8SPC?

Comment

• ZadFnark
                        Unwashed
                        • Jul 2018

Assembled from scratch. A Yankee Hill barrel.

Probably an Anderson upper, and Midwest Industries foregrips. Mix of AR Stoner and DPMS parts for the rest.

At 50 yds, I can get the holes to touch.

I built three ARs this year, which is a record. Don't know how the wife let me get away with that. I usually average a gun every 6 years. Built the 6.8, then the Grendel and then went big with a .450 Bushmaster. My brothers look down on my Bush, since their .458 SOCOMs shoot "rifle" bullets while mine shoots "pistol" bullets.

Comment

• ZadFnark
                          Unwashed
                          • Jul 2018

An update.

I replaced the AR Stoner barrel with a 24" one from Bear Creek. I Paid $159 for it, This one turned out rather well.

I did this at 200 yards.

Comment

• biodsl
                            Chieftain
                            • Aug 2011

I'm old enough to remember when you'd have to spend hundreds to get that result. Congrats and nice shooting!.
                            Paul Peloquin

Did government credibility die of Covid or with Covid?

Comment

Working...
                            X