• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • va_connoisseur
    Warrior
    • Oct 2016

Bad day at the range: part 1

Went to the range to test/chronological some new rounds and test my new magnetospeed. It was not a good day for either:

I have been having issues with my trigger and light primer strikes, so I decided to try a new trigger. Switched out the rise armament for a POF trigger. Still having the same issues with light primer strikes only on Factory ammunition. My reloads fire fine, but I cannot get any Factory Hornady ammo either the black or the 123 SST to fire.

I am using a monster Bolt from the group by and a standard hardened arms bolt carrier group. The firing pin is the standard firing pin that came with the bolt carrier group. I am at my wit's end. Any suggestion at this point would be helpful.

The setup is the monster 12.7 inch barrel compatible gas block and gas tube. Everything else is pretty much standard. Meaning mil-spec. Where should I measure to determine if the boat face or the firing pin is the issue.?
  • Arkhangel5
    Warrior
    • Apr 2016

The fact that you said light primer strikes, says to me trigger, trigger springs put in correctly? I would start there.

SY

Comment

• va_connoisseur
      Warrior
      • Oct 2016

Replaced the Rise Armament one piece trigger with a Patriot Ordnance Factory one piece trigger. No trigger springs to deal with and they function properly in the other gun

Comment

• Arkhangel5
        Warrior
        • Apr 2016

Ok, maybe try a trigger with a heavier hammer? Just to rule out that it is not the trigger.

SY

Comment

• maxxmojo
          Bloodstained
          • Jul 2016

You can measure the length of the firing pin itself or if you have the capability measure the firing pin protrusion from the bolt face. Or swap in another firing pin and try it out.

Comment

• VASCAR2
            Chieftain
            • Mar 2011

What is the correct firing pin measurement at the face of the bolt? I have the correct Grendel bolt and firing pin length from other forum threads but the primer strikes still look deep. Mopar Doctor

Comment

• va_connoisseur
              Warrior
              • Oct 2016

VASCAR2, I decided to measure the firing pins and found that the one that was making light primer strikes measures 3.248. My “functional” AR has a firing pin that measures at 3.271. Did a little digging online and found the measurement should be 3.270 +/- 0.009.

So I’m swapping pins and heading to the range tomorrow. I’ll report back.

Comment

• Sticks
                Chieftain
                • Dec 2016

Sounds like you have or had a proprietary Grendel bolt that is the incorrect length. I can't remember who, but there is a MFG that put one out that is a Mk136, but standard AR15 bolt length, they just put in a shorter firing pin.
                Sticks

Catchy sig line here.

Comment

• va_connoisseur
                  Warrior
                  • Oct 2016

I am using the Monster bolt from the group buy. I am heading to the range with a proper length firing pin and I’ll report back on the results.

Comment

• VASCAR2
                    Chieftain
                    • Mar 2011

The measurement you found for firing pins sounds very plausable, fits with the firing pin protrusion .028”-.036”, or .008”. I guess that explains the various lengths I got on my firing pins. I have a schematic that shows overall length of 3.277” and another with 3.278” with no tolerance specified. Personally I’m not sure of the exact specification other than the minimum and maximum firing pin protrusion which is most important.

I have a feeling you found the problem.
                    Last edited by VASCAR2; 10-28-2018, 02:26 PM.

Comment

• va_connoisseur
                      Warrior
                      • Oct 2016

Put the new firing pin in and went 40 for 40 at the range. Problem solved.

Thanks for all the input. I'm going to pick up a couple of backup firing pins

Comment

Working...
                      X