• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • va_connoisseur
    Warrior
    • Oct 2016

Bad day at the range: part 2

As I said in the previous post, I went to the range to test out some new loads as well as test out my new Magnetospeed V3. I did not get the performance I expected. Out of roughly 40 shots the Magneto speed only read one round. I adjusted the sensitivity up and down, I moved it back and forward on the rail, and still nothing. Below or the pictures of my setup, let me know if you see anything
    wrong.
    Attached Files
  • LtDan
    Warrior
    • Sep 2017

Your Magneto speed unit is way too far away from the center of the bore, I use about a 1/4" between the bullet and the sensor

Comment

• Arkhangel5
      Warrior
      • Apr 2016

What LtDan said, MS sensor deck too far away.

That rod is to show you how close you are to the bullet path.

I like to set mine to where the top of the rod is just below the 6 o'clock position of the muzzle.

I have never missed a reading doing this.

SY

Comment

• grayfox
        Chieftain
        • Jan 2017

The picture is a little hard to tell but it looks un-parallel to me, sloping upward as it goes out. if so then the first sensor is probably not picking up.
        How far down did you adjust the sensitivity?
        Also double check that it is aligned along the bullet path, not skewed right or left. Since you are not attaching to the barrel there are more ways to mis-align it....... which is why I have my Handguards short enough that I can affix the MG to the barrel directly. I don't worry about POI during MV tests.
        "Down the floor, out the door, Go Brandon Go!!!!!"

Comment

• va_connoisseur
          Warrior
          • Oct 2016

Originally posted by LtDan View Post
          Your Magneto speed unit is way too far away from the center of the bore, I use about a 1/4" between the bullet and the sensor
          Thanks. Rising it up may present a challenge.

Comment

• Popeye212
            Chieftain
            • Jan 2018

Measure the distance between the rod and the bayonet and check against the specs in the manual also mine is farther back with the muzzle halfway in the dip and about a "1/4 inch (or less) from the bottom of the rod to the bayonet. Sensitivity is H1

Comment

• maxxmojo
              Bloodstained
              • Jul 2016

Yeah I'd say it's way too low to get good readings. Not sure how you can get it closer though without removing the handguard.

Comment

• Sticks
                Chieftain
                • Dec 2016

I've run the Picitinny rail attachment on mine and have not had issues.

20170716_133219.jpg

Yes on the making sure it's straight both in line with the bore, and parallel. I did have to adjust the sensitivity 2 points more sensitive on mine, then I pick up every shot no problem.

The ideal mounting puts the bottom of the bullet at the top of the 1/4" guide bar when sitting on top of the MS bayonet. Mine ended up being near double.

Put a fresh battery in just in case (when in doubt...)
                Sticks

Catchy sig line here.

Comment

• va_connoisseur
                  Warrior
                  • Oct 2016

Sticks, thanks for the image. I’ll see if I can get it closer to the bullet path

Comment

• kpswihart
                    Warrior
                    • Dec 2016

Originally posted by va_connoisseur View Post
                    Thanks. Rising it up may present a challenge.
                    Get the adapter mentioned by Sticks and mount it on your rail, above your bipod. Looking at your photo, you may be able to mount it at about 10:00 or 2:00 and get the needed proximity.

Comment

• va_connoisseur
                      Warrior
                      • Oct 2016

I removed the Magnetospeed adapter and keymod to pic rail. Strapped the V3 to the handrail and all worked well. The only "issue" was getting a snug fit so I had to check the tension after every 3 or 4 shots. I believe this can be cured with a simple large velcro strap should fix that issue. Got some great reading for my handloads

Comment

• VASCAR2
                        Chieftain
                        • Mar 2011

Glad your getting things sorted out, thanks for the update!

Comment

• Redomen
                          Warrior
                          • Jun 2016

I had the same issue so I removed my hand guards and logged velocities.

Comment

Working...
                          X