• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • stead
    Unwashed
    • Oct 2018

buying to reload 6.5 Grendel

I'm about to buy a CZ 527 bolt-action in 6.5G and will need all the things specific to reloading 6.5G. I intend to use the Lee Auto Breech Lock Pro I already have. I will be reloading a low volume of cartridges, probably less than 200 rounds per month. Most rounds will be used for plinking and developing marksmanship with a couple of boys. Others will be used to prepare for the 2019 deer season. Before I buy all these parts and equipment, I wanted to check with you if there are any good reasons to consider an alternative instead and get any advice as I have no prior experience with this cartridge.

I shop Midway, Midsouth, Graf's, and Amazon, and I'm looking at buying:

Lee case length gauge and shell holder (I have a cutter and lock stud)
    Lee Auto Breech Lock Pro Shell Plate #12 for 6.5 Grendel etc.
    Lee 3-piece die set with Factory Crimp die
    500 pieces of Starline brass

I don't have a way to trim, chamfer, deburr or anneal case necks. I had a Lyman case prep center at one point, but let it go when I found it unncessary for the handgun cartridges I was reloading. I could get one of those and use the Lee case length gauge, cutter and lock stud to trim. I could get a torch from Home depot to anneal case necks if that's going to be worthwhile, or for that matter, one of those annealing machines.

For bullets, I intend to use lead-free for hunting. I read the sticky on LFP's and I'm thinking of going with the Barnes 100gr TTSX. The Cz has a 24" barrel and this should have enough velocity out past 300 yards.

For plinking and targets it looks like the Speer 90gr TNT are by far the least costly and reviewers report them to be plenty accurate. I'm not looking to go past 400 yards this next year, but it looks like the Matchkings and Scenars around 107-108gr aren't too expensive.

I shoot Fiocchi lead-free primers and find them to be the best primers by far. I have 12,000 small pistol and I think I will just use those since I will be shooting book starting loads around handgun pressure levels. The boys will be coming from .22LR experience, so I will be gradually introducing more recoil. I can get small rifle primers if the full-power hunting loads prove to need them.

For powder, any recommendations? I'll probably go by the Barnes data for the hunting, probably H335. For plinking I have a lot of choices. I see quite a few people report using CFE223, but the H335 should work fine.

I appreciate anyone who can advise me if I've overlooked something or who through experience can offer advice for better results.
    Last edited by stead; 10-29-2018, 04:51 PM.
  • DDRanch
    Warrior
    • Jul 2017

Just sent you a PM and welcome to the forum.

Comment

• LRRPF52
      Super Moderator
      • Sep 2014

Welcome to the forum.

We put together some pretty comprehensive 6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks which will answer most of your questions and more, but feel free to ask anything here as well.

NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• GregP42
        Warrior
        • Mar 2015

Please do NOT use pistol primers in a rifle case. There can be many issues with this, the least of which is they are not the same size, and are thinner. You could peirce primers, and where they are softer you will get flattened primers when the preasure is still in the normal range. But everything else looks good to start, the Grendel is fun to load for and accurate to boot.

Welcome to the addiction,
        Greg

Comment

• Bigs28
          Chieftain
          • Feb 2016

Welcome. Good choice on lfp's. I use those and the 110g controlled chaos as they are a bit less expensive.

Comment

• imaguy3
            Warrior
            • Mar 2018

I know you mention wanting to use starline brass. I've been saving all my once fired hornady brass and it's taking up room. If you're interested in trying that brass PM me and we can talk about me shipping you some.

Comment

• FRB6.5
              Warrior
              • Oct 2018

Originally posted by LRRPF52 View Post
              Welcome to the forum.

We put together some pretty comprehensive 6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks which will answer most of your questions and more, but feel free to ask anything here as well.

Just got mine in the mail last week.

Comment

• Sticks
                Chieftain
                • Dec 2016

Trimming brass...I am upgrading my trimmer and am looking to part with my WFT for 6.5 Grendel.

No need to anneal with the firing rate you are talking about.

I would avoid the Lee dies. They work, but over work the brass. Use Hornady, Redding, or RCBS. If you want the most accuracy, get the Redding, Hornady, or Forster bushing dies and a .287, .288, and .289 bushing - no need to crimp.
                Sticks

Catchy sig line here.

Comment

• hootie6828
                  Bloodstained
                  • Oct 2018

Originally posted by imaguy3 View Post
                  I know you mention wanting to use starline brass. I've been saving all my once fired hornady brass and it's taking up room. If you're interested in trying that brass PM me and we can talk about me shipping you some.
                  imaguy,
                  I am looking to get started reloading 6.5 as well, couldn't figure out how to PM you, not sure if it's because I'm a new member, but I would definitely be interested in some of your brass if the OP isn't.

Comment

• LR1955
                    Super Moderator
                    • Mar 2011

Originally posted by hootie6828 View Post
                    imaguy,
                    I am looking to get started reloading 6.5 as well, couldn't figure out how to PM you, not sure if it's because I'm a new member, but I would definitely be interested in some of your brass if the OP isn't.
                    hootie:

Click on imaguy's name on the left of his post (under the day's date). Drop down list that shows 'Send Private Message'.

LR55

Comment

• LR1955
                      Super Moderator
                      • Mar 2011

Originally posted by Sticks View Post
                      Trimming brass...I am upgrading my trimmer and am looking to part with my WFT for 6.5 Grendel.

No need to anneal with the firing rate you are talking about.

I would avoid the Lee dies. They work, but over work the brass. Use Hornady, Redding, or RCBS. If you want the most accuracy, get the Redding, Hornady, or Forster bushing dies and a .287, .288, and .289 bushing - no need to crimp.
                      Second Stick's comments about annealing (you don't need to anneal), and particularly the dies. Most guys here will recommend Redding, Hornady, Forster bushing dies with the size bushings Sticks stated. At least get a decent sizing die. Once your Lee press breaks or fails in some way, look at some of the threads on reloading presses.

LR55

Comment

• imaguy3
                        Warrior
                        • Mar 2018

Originally posted by hootie6828 View Post
                        imaguy,
                        The OP messaged me... if things don't work out I'll get in touch with you! I'll also have more as time comes if I know someone wants them. I found some good factory loads so the incentive isn't there for me to load.

Comment

• imaguy3
                          Warrior
                          • Mar 2018

Just as an aside... I counted all the brass I had been keeping in an American Gunner can. It had 465 pieces with room for a little more. So even though they only ship with 200 rounds in them, in a large plastic bag that takes up most of the room, the can can hold quite a bit of empties itself.

Comment

• bj139
                            Chieftain
                            • Mar 2017

If your Lee press breaks or fails in some way they will send you parts free, I have heard.

I use Lee dies and have shot several 0.5 MOA groups using them.

I have used pistol primers in the Grendel with starting loads and had no problems.

I shot some small groups with pistol primers on a 6x45 and someone mentioned I better use small rifle primers.
                            I switched and the groups became bigger than 2MOA with vertical stringing.

Comment

• hill37
                              Warrior
                              • Apr 2017

How much is Hornady brass life reduced by using Lee dies?

Comment

Working...
                              X