• Popeye212
    Chieftain
    • Jan 2018

Good article on why to reload and "save?money

Best article I have seen on this.

• s3silver
    Warrior
    • Sep 2014

Good read, but we all know in the end we spend more money because we keep wanting to shoot those precision rounds, which leads to more money spent on components. Then comes loading for other cartridges. It's an ongoing cycle. At least it's enjoyable and self satisfying to roll your own.

Comment

• DDRanch
      Warrior
      • Jul 2017

So who here bought reloading gear and components before they got their Grendel?

Comment

• Popeye212
        Chieftain
        • Jan 2018

Read on Facebook where a doctor recommended reloading for stress relief... I'm all in on that one. Grendel and .223 you don't save all that much but on the Grendel you don't have to worry so much about availability. Walked in an Academy today not a Grendel round in sight. Now when I start stuffing my .270 it's a different story. I have always enjoyed rolling my own and the accuracy it produces.

Comment

• IescapedCali
          Warrior
          • Sep 2017

Shhhh! I keep telling my wife this saves us money.

Comment

• Sticks
            Chieftain
            • Dec 2016

Long time to pay off an investment in reloading gear shooting Grendel or 5.56. My PRC on the other hand...$1.63 per round delivered for factory food. Reload for $.55. No brainer there. I have already paid off the 200 rounds of virgin brass, and the bushings for my dies in load development alone. I load up that 200, then my dies and some other stuff will be paid for.
            Sticks

Catchy sig line here.

Comment

• hootie6828
              Bloodstained
              • Oct 2018

I started reloading because I shoot alot of fairly expensive pistol rounds, 45acp, 357 and 44 mag. It is very therapeutic for me, and the fact that I can make better ammo for less money is a win win for me.

Comment

• FW Conch
                Warrior
                • Nov 2014

^This^ I reload because of the choices it gives Me. Especially the bullet choice.

Comment

• roor
                  Warrior
                  • Jan 2018

Originally posted by DDRanch View Post
                  So who here bought reloading gear and components before they got their Grendel?
                  The deal on nosler brass and bench rest seater on sale where too good to pass up! I already knew I was going to buy my Howa but I needed my money check first. Between then and having it ready to shoot, I think I had all my reload stuff ready to go. The last thing I bought was the resizer since technically I didn't need it at that point
                  Last edited by roor; 11-03-2018, 11:49 PM.

Comment

• 41bear
                    Warrior
                    • Jan 2017

Just to see if we are really saving money I did the figures on paper for my 6.5 Grendel, including my Lee die set, to see my cost. The first 100 rounds cost me $126.33 but after that my cost dropped to $47.00/100. So the Sierra guy's figures hold up, in my book.

Just what does reloading give you for the hours spent doing it.
                    1. The pleasure in and of itself.
                    2. Knowing I gain more accuracy than I can get from factory ammo.
                    3. A vastly better selection of bullets than offered in factory ammo.
                    4. A true cost savings of over 50% after the original investment.
                    5. And last but not least it allows me to spend more time with family and friends doing, and passing on, a sport that I dearly love.
                    "Wild flower, growin' thru the cracks in the street" - Problem Child by Little Big Town

Comment

• Sticks
                      Chieftain
                      • Dec 2016

Originally posted by 41bear View Post
                      Just to see if we are really saving money I did the figures on paper for my 6.5 Grendel, including my Lee die set, to see my cost. The first 100 rounds cost me $126.33 but after that my cost dropped to $47.00/100. ....
                      If you already reload, then all you are really looking at is the dies.

If you want to dip your toes in the water, your startup cost for a mediocre setup is going to be north of $300. Then after 6 months you will want to upgrade because mediocre equipment is giving you mediocre results.

Factory 123 ELD - $.83 per round delivered on average. Reload to duplicate is $.47. You would have to load over 2200 rounds to cover the startup - not including the brass buy in. Most buy factory ammo then reload. American gunner is the cheapest way to get good brass. Lapua is best, but then you will be trying to pay for $.95 per.
                      Sticks

Catchy sig line here.

Comment

• 41bear
                        Warrior
                        • Jan 2017

Originally posted by Sticks View Post
                        If you already reload, then all you are really looking at is the dies.

If you want to dip your toes in the water, your startup cost for a mediocre setup is going to be north of $300. Then after 6 months you will want to upgrade because mediocre equipment is giving you mediocre results.

Factory 123 ELD - $.83 per round delivered on average. Reload to duplicate is $.47. You would have to load over 2200 rounds to cover the startup - not including the brass buy in. Most buy factory ammo then reload. American gunner is the cheapest way to get good brass. Lapua is best, but then you will be trying to pay for $.95 per.
                        Been reloading for over 60 years so all equipment long since been paid for and regained in shooting/reloading.

BTW using your figures I'll save $360 in the first 1000 or about $800 in the 2200 figure. Plus I'm shooting a much better bullet, faster and more accurate.

.83 * 2200 = $1826.00 versus .47 * 2200 = $1034.00 or $792.00 saved. I'll take that any day of the week and twice on Sunday.
                        "Wild flower, growin' thru the cracks in the street" - Problem Child by Little Big Town

Comment

• Gusmeister
                          Warrior
                          • May 2017

41bear has me beat by 12 years for reloading. I can't prove it but am under the impression that 30-40 years ago there was a greater cost difference between reloads and factory ammo. Just an impression. Certainly reloading can be cheaper than factory if your time is worth nothing. Maybe the difference is less because I keep trying to build better ammo. I reload "blaster" ammo for cheap but get a lot more joy out of making high quality accurate ammo.

The best part of reloading for me is the mix of science, art and "black magic" making everything come together into a superior round. No matter what is it always a mental challenge. There is always failure and eventually there is success. It is a mental discipline that satisfies my soul.

Comment

• 41bear
                            Warrior
                            • Jan 2017

Originally posted by Gusmeister View Post
                            41bear has me beat by 12 years for reloading. I can't prove it but am under the impression that 30-40 years ago there was a greater cost difference between reloads and factory ammo. Just an impression. Certainly reloading can be cheaper than factory if your time is worth nothing. Maybe the difference is less because I keep trying to build better ammo. I reload "blaster" ammo for cheap but get a lot more joy out of making high quality accurate ammo.

The best part of reloading for me is the mix of science, art and "black magic" making everything come together into a superior round. No matter what is it always a mental challenge. There is always failure and eventually there is success. It is a mental discipline that satisfies my soul.
                            Well said and I totally agree.

Comment

Working...
                            X