• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • dtdraffen
    Unwashed
    • Nov 2017

Subsonic ammo?

I would like to get hold of some subsonic ammo, dosen't matter if it dosen't cycles. I can just shoot like bolt action. LOL!
    Any reloaded here working on subsonic ammo like to sell me some working subsonic ammo? Like I said, it dosen't have to cycle, long is it shoots without blowing up my gun....
    Thank in advance
  • dpete
    Warrior
    • May 2016

Reloading for yourself is one thing. Reloading and selling to someone else is a whole other can of possible liability suit if as you say the gun blows up and takes some face with it. Its generally not done for that reason.
    Grendel is a great caliber for what it is designed to do. Being subsonic isn't one one of those designs. Yes subsonic with a suppressor is fun when the rifle sounds like a BB gun, but why handicap a Grendel down to subsonic when you can put a 300 BLK upper on your .223 AR15 lower and have a rifle designed to function with subs?

Comment

• VASCAR2
      Chieftain
      • Mar 2011

There have been numerous threads discussing subsonic 6.5 Grendel. One recommendation was to use trailboss. Use the link to the Google Grendel custom search feature. You should be able to find numerous threads.

Comment

• Klem
        Chieftain
        • Aug 2013

I agree with pete and VASCAR...The Grendel is a poor excuse for a subsonic caliber. Plus handloaders don't usually load for strangers - Remember, 'Everything's beer and skittles until someone gets poked in the eye'.

The reason the Grendel is an inefficient subsonic caliber is the case is too big relative to its heaviest bullets. You can as you say load TB into a case and as long as it fills at least 80% of the available volume then you mitigate Flash-over and Secondary Explosion Effect. You are much better off getting a 300BLK upper and enjoying a caliber that was designed for heavier bullets and smaller cases. Or get a 300BLK bolt gun and enjoy an ever quieter option.

Neither the Grendel or Blackout sound like a BB gun when suppressed/subsonic (even non-cycling light rounds). Hollywood has a lot to answer for.

Comment

• Nodak
          Warrior
          • Nov 2016

I ended up with cci small rifle primer and 10gr of H110 under a 147gr ELD-M at 1050fps. I do have a box of 10gr to play with but haven't yet

Been many sidetrack but will soon have my Mini threaded foe suppressor use. I'm looking for a possible starting point on components to load up some subsonic to try. Would be nice to be as quiet as my buddy and his bolt blackout. I'm guessing get some 160gr and trailblazer powder but any ideas on primer or other considerations?

Comment

• dtdraffen
            Unwashed
            • Nov 2017

Originally posted by dpete View Post
            Reloading for yourself is one thing. Reloading and selling to someone else is a whole other can of possible liability suit if as you say the gun blows up and takes some face with it. Its generally not done for that reason.
            Grendel is a great caliber for what it is designed to do. Being subsonic isn't one one of those designs. Yes subsonic with a suppressor is fun when the rifle sounds like a BB gun, but why handicap a Grendel down to subsonic when you can put a 300 BLK upper on your .223 AR15 lower and have a rifle designed to function with subs?
            Make sense. Thanks you!

Comment

• dtdraffen
              Unwashed
              • Nov 2017

Originally posted by Klem View Post
              I agree with pete and VASCAR...The Grendel is a poor excuse for a subsonic caliber. Plus handloaders don't usually load for strangers - Remember, 'Everything's beer and skittles until someone gets poked in the eye'.

The reason the Grendel is an inefficient subsonic caliber is the case is too big relative to its heaviest bullets. You can as you say load TB into a case and as long as it fills at least 80% of the available volume then you mitigate Flash-over and Secondary Explosion Effect. You are much better off getting a 300BLK upper and enjoying a caliber that was designed for heavier bullets and smaller cases. Or get a 300BLK bolt gun and enjoy an ever quieter option.

Neither the Grendel or Blackout sound like a BB gun when suppressed/subsonic (even non-cycling light rounds). Hollywood has a lot to answer for.
              I do have 300 blackout SBR and love it! Have AAC 762SD without host, so I thought I would use it on 6.5 Grendel.. no reason to build another 300BK..
              Will I can still shoot supersonic little quieter with can, so better than nothing
              Last edited by dtdraffen; 11-05-2018, 04:10 AM.

Comment

• dpete
                Warrior
                • May 2016

If you already have a Blackout SBR and an AAC 762SD looking for a host it seems to be a no brainer to me. Find a compatible muzzle device and get that suppressor on the Blackout! They were made for each other. A short barrel + can = total length of a carbine generally. An easy rifle to swing and a nice short range hunting rig that won't scare the neighbors with its boom.

Comment

• dtdraffen
                  Unwashed
                  • Nov 2017

I have Dead Air Sandman-K on 300BK SBR

Comment

• Bearcatrp
                    Warrior
                    • Apr 2018

I have a sandman-s on my 10 inch 300BO pistol. Love it. No need for hearing protection. Quiet. Can shoot my supers that I shoot out of my 16 inch BO without if needed but wouldn’t do it all day.

Comment

• LRRPF52
                      Super Moderator
                      • Sep 2014

8208 XBR is also common for those shooting subs.

Shoot 160gr Hornady RN if you can find them, 156gr Lapua, 156gr Norma, 144gr Lapua FMJs, or any of the 140gr class bullets.

NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

Working...
                      X