• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • SPECTRE66
    Unwashed
    • Mar 2017

Magazines, please

I'm experiencing problems in reliable feeding, in my magazines, and need some help, and or recommendations. I have recently loaded some 6.5 G ammunition, using 7.62X39 cases.
    Thus reloaded, I want to fire-form them, into full-dimensioned 6.5G cases. Trying to get these 7.62X39 cases to reliably feed, from a 6.5G Alexander Arms magazine, is problematic at best; the second round typically jams. Looking at the 'stack-up' inside the magazine, there appears to be plenty of slop; a phenomenon due to the taper of the 7.62X39 case.

My question is this: Would I be better served, to use an AR (.223) magazine, to do the fire-forming, then use the dedicated 6.5 magazines, for shooting of the fire-formed, correctly-dimensioned 6.5G cases?
    HOW do I 'get thru' this currently tedious task, so I can enjoy some semi-automatic enjoyment?
  • bj139
    Chieftain
    • Mar 2017

You may have to single load. This is supposedly the worst problem with the 7.62x39. You could buy a 7.62x39 mag.

Comment

• A5BLASTER
      Chieftain
      • Mar 2015

I wish I had a answer to offer to this problem.

Can I ask, Why are you useing 7.62x39 cases when there are much easier ways to get true grendel case's?

Comment

• depletedyourcranium
        Warrior
        • Nov 2017

If the issue is the taper of the unformed 7.62 cases, why not use a 7.62x39 AR15 mag? They're plenty available and would match the taper of the original case.

Comment

• A5BLASTER
          Chieftain
          • Mar 2015

Originally posted by depletedyourcranium View Post
          If the issue is the taper of the unformed 7.62 cases, why not use a 7.62x39 AR15 mag? They're plenty available and would match the taper of the original case.
          Until they were shot in the grendel chamber.

Then they wouldn't work as good in the mag because the case would now have the grendel case taper and not the 7.62x39 case taper.

Me personally I would ditch the 7.62x39 cases that will never hold as much powder as a true grendel case and at the same time resolve the issue the op is having.

Op your mag is made for grendel and not 7.62x39 so my thinking is the case taper probably just want work with the grendel mag.

Comment

• Dead Center Miss
            Warrior
            • Sep 2018

When I first got my grendel I firefoemed some 7.62x39. I was putting 5-7 at a time in a Amend2 223 mag and no issues.

Comment

• GregP42
              Warrior
              • Mar 2015

I use a 7.62x39 mag back in the day when I fire formed mine. I still use them when I am out shooting coyotes as I don't worry about loosing them. I had worked up data for them back when we couldn't get Grendel brass that easy. I think I still have about 400 pieces of IMI in a bag.

But now like I said I just use them when I don't want to chase brass.

Greg

Comment

• depletedyourcranium
                Warrior
                • Nov 2017

Originally posted by A5BLASTER View Post
                Until they were shot in the grendel chamber.

Then they wouldn't work as good in the mag because the case would now have the grendel case taper and not the 7.62x39 case taper.

Me personally I would ditch the 7.62x39 cases that will never hold as much powder as a true grendel case and at the same time resolve the issue the op is having.

Op your mag is made for grendel and not 7.62x39 so my thinking is the case taper probably just want work with the grendel mag.
                Well of course you wouldn't keep using the 762 mag once they were fireformed. OP is just looking for a solution to get them to feed initially.

Comment

• SPECTRE66
                  Unwashed
                  • Mar 2017

Thanks Guys!
                  I'll either use my .223 mags, or as you say, use a 7.62X39 mag, until fire-form is complete.
                  You asked why I don't just go ahead and use 6.5G brass. The answer is simple: Years ago, 6.5G brass was not plentiful. My friends and I bought a couple THOUSAND AK brass, and began processing them.
                  -Then other squirrels arose to chase, and windmills to slay; higher-priority work. When I got back to the cases, it was 'a while'. By then, the availability of 6.5G was not an issue. But I'll be damned if I'll simply throw away a thousand or more cases, just because it's a bit inconvenient.
                  Thanks for your suggestions.

Comment

• A5BLASTER
                    Chieftain
                    • Mar 2015

Originally posted by SPECTRE66 View Post
                    Thanks Guys!
                    I'll either use my .223 mags, or as you say, use a 7.62X39 mag, until fire-form is complete.
                    You asked why I don't just go ahead and use 6.5G brass. The answer is simple: Years ago, 6.5G brass was not plentiful. My friends and I bought a couple THOUSAND AK brass, and began processing them.
                    -Then other squirrels arose to chase, and windmills to slay; higher-priority work. When I got back to the cases, it was 'a while'. By then, the availability of 6.5G was not an issue. But I'll be damned if I'll simply throw away a thousand or more cases, just because it's a bit inconvenient.
                    Sell the cases and get real grendel brass, headache resovled, just saying.

Comment

• roor
                      Warrior
                      • Jan 2018

Originally posted by SPECTRE66 View Post
                      Thanks Guys!
                      You also lose some case capacity. If you load near Max might want to be a little extra cautious..

Comment

• 6.5Geo
                        Unwashed
                        • Jan 2017

Originally posted by A5BLASTER View Post
                        Sell the cases and get real grendel brass, headache resovled, just saying.
                        My thoughts too, 7.62x39 brass brings in good money around my neck of the woods.
                        Live free or die trying!

Comment

• Papaw
                          Unwashed
                          • Jul 2018

It may just be my gun, but I cannot use 6.5 grendel mags. Have tried 3 different brands and none will work. A standard 10 or 20 rd ar mag runs like a sewing machine and 7.62x39 mags work well. Can't explain it, but that's my experience.

Comment

• VASCAR2
                            Chieftain
                            • Mar 2011

Originally posted by Papaw View Post
                            It may just be my gun, but I cannot use 6.5 grendel mags. Have tried 3 different brands and none will work. A standard 10 or 20 rd ar mag runs like a sewing machine and 7.62x39 mags work well. Can't explain it, but that's my experience.
                            TECH TIP by Robert Whitley, AR-X Enterprises LLC Over the years, while working with various AR-15 cartridges that require a larger bolt-face bolt (i.e. bigger than a 5.56 NATO/.223 Rem bolt-face, like those cartridges that use a 6.8 SPC bolt or the bolt face suitable for the 6.

Another potential area for failure to feed can be caused by to much or to little gas affecting the timing of the cycle of the AR-15.

Comment

Working...
                            X