130 Game Changer - Shooter's World Match Rifle Powder (AA2520)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Greengo10
    Bloodstained
    • Aug 2018

130 Game Changer - Shooter's World Match Rifle Powder (AA2520)

I have seen the 130 gr Sierra Game Changers (Tipped Game King) while surfing the interwebs but hadn't seen much if any load information on it. So... since I have a fair amount of shooter's world match rifle powder (pretty much the same powder as AA2520 per Lovex) want to find a good, heavy for caliber bullet for hunting & punching holes in paper, I thought I would give it a try and see what I could work up. So i made the investment into 300 bullets. I'm using a BCA 20" stainless steel straight fluted barrel for this testing, and when I get to accuracy I will be testing it at 100 & probably 200 yds.

Bullet: Sierra 130 Grain Game Changer (Tipped Game King)
    Powder: Shooter's World Match Rifle (AA2520)
    Primer: WSR
    Brass: Hornady

I started off with 15 Rounds ranging from 26.6 to 29.4 grains, using .2 grain increments to get some base line velocities. C.O.A.L. was 2.258 (+- .0015)
    Screen Shot 2018-11-06 at 6.10.38 PM.png

I ended up shutting down the gas system on my AR for the testing using my adjustable gas block and ran it like a bolt gun. Brass/primers looked fine on all fired cases.

Here is the 200 yd Target from the testing. I was more concerned with getting good velocity readings from my chronograph than I was for getting tiny groups. I bone-headedly forgot to mark which shot was which, but I do remember the last 5 shots were the ones toward the top and are marked as they are supposed to be.
    130 ladder test.jpeg

I thing I am going to do some more testing with loading 5 rounds at 27.9 grains, 28.8 grains, and 29.3 grains.

Let me know what y'all think... I'm always open to advice.
    Last edited by Greengo10; 11-08-2018, 12:03 AM.
  • A5BLASTER
    Chieftain
    • Mar 2015

I would work up in smaller amounts, like .3 grains per round past 27.9 grains of powder.

Even .5 grain amounts increase can be too much and get you into bad pressure area quick with the grendel.

Comment

• 65Whelen
      Warrior
      • Sep 2014

The 28.6-29.0 looks promising.

Comment

• Sticks
        Chieftain
        • Dec 2016

With AA2520 I was pushing the upper 2600s in a Howa and COAL of 2.32. As short as you are going, I don't know that I would go much past 30 (upper 2400s for me)
        Sticks

Catchy sig line here.

Comment

• Greengo10
          Bloodstained
          • Aug 2018

A5: I started with .2 grain increments to get an idea of velocity. Are you recommending 5 rounds in .3 grain increments for the next test? I was thinking I would test for accuracy in the flat areas in the chart I made.

Whalen: I was thinking the same thing. Might try 2 powder weights in that range and see if it stays consistent & if I can get some accuracy out of it.

Sticks: maybe I should try some higher powder charges. I don’t think my barrel will be anywhere near as fast as yours though... mine pushes 123 hornady black at 2438 FPS.

Comment

• A5BLASTER
            Chieftain
            • Mar 2015

Originally posted by Greengo10 View Post
            A5: I started with .2 grain increments to get an idea of velocity. Are you recommending 5 rounds in .3 grain increments for the next test? I was thinking I would test for accuracy in the flat areas in the chart I made.

Whalen: I was thinking the same thing. Might try 2 powder weights in that range and see if it stays consistent & if I can get some accuracy out of it.

Sticks: maybe I should try some higher powder charges. I don’t think my barrel will be anywhere near as fast as yours though... mine pushes 123 hornady black at 2438 FPS.
            No you doing good.

I don't know where my mind was at when I read your first post and I replyed.

Comment

• Sticks
              Chieftain
              • Dec 2016

My Howa runs the factory Black at 2476 - along with the three others in the clan (2450 - 2475). You should still be able to seat a little longer and get some more powder in there safely.

You have a good baseline to start with unless you were going to go mag length, then I would start over as all your numbers will likely change. Might want to double check to see where the lands are in your barrel as well.
              Sticks

Catchy sig line here.

Comment

• Greengo10
                Bloodstained
                • Aug 2018

I ended up making it out to the range again yesterday. I loaded one round each between 29.6 and 30.6 in .2 grain increments, as well as 5 rounds at 28.7, 28.9, and 29.3.
                the 5 Round loadings didn't have great accuracy for me... I was getting ~2" groups at 100 yds, but it could have been me. However, I'll share what I gathered from my range session:
                Screen Shot 2018-11-11 at 9.28.17 PM.png
                IMG_0026.jpg IMG_0027.jpg IMG_0028.jpg

For the work up I did between 29.6 and 30.6 I have included the new data points in the graph I started before. There seems to be a solid flat spot in the 29.2-29.8, with a spread of 10 FPS (2366-2376). Im thinking my next outing will consist of more grouping shots in that charge range. 30.4 and 30.6 both seemed to be compressed loads at magazine length, and I got a slight ejector swipe on the brass of the 30.6... something I haven't gotten since I put an Adjustable Gas Block on this gun.
                Screen Shot 2018-11-11 at 9.40.46 PM.png

Comment

• drewsbow
                  Warrior
                  • Nov 2018

I am loading 130 gamechanger over 29.2 gr of power pro varmint powder with rem 71/2 primers loaded to 2.32 coal in a Howa mini with Boyds pro varmint stock.20181104_120057_resized_1.jpg20181121_124842_resized.jpg 100 yd groups before and after cryo treatment , blue tape is a three shot group with two bullets in the bottom hole , Drew
                  Last edited by drewsbow; 11-23-2018, 03:17 PM.

Comment

• centerfire
                    Warrior
                    • Dec 2017

For the work up I did between 29.6 and 30.6 I have included the new data points in the graph I started before. There seems to be a solid flat spot in the 29.2-29.8, with a spread of 10 FPS (2366-2376). Im thinking my next outing will consist of more grouping shots in that charge range. 30.4 and 30.6 both seemed to be compressed loads at magazine length, and I got a slight ejector swipe on the brass of the 30.6... something I haven't gotten since I put an Adjustable Gas Block on this gun.
                    [ATTACH=CONFIG]13104[/ATTACH]
                    I think you're pretty well over pressure with 30.6gr of 2250 in an AR.

Comment

Working...
                    X