Found my ABLR Load - try it you may like it.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • grendelnubi
    Warrior
    • Apr 2017

This is my hunting round so I am using older 6 plus shot hornady cases and CCI450 primers. The 129 ABLR has a very thin jacket in the tip area, if you try to seat the bullet to fast, it will actually leave an indent in it. In the two deer I killed this year, one at 20 yards, neck, spine shot, the bullet held together. I believe my quest to find a hunting projectile is over. It was a long and expensive process. I really wanted to use the Hornady SST and it shot reasonable but not as good at the Nosler projectiles.

Ally had them on sale for $39 for 100 ct. They are currently out but am watching for them to come back in stock. Will be picking up 500 once they do.

Hornady is sending me 500 129 gr SP Interlock bullets. They have a promotion going on and I took advantage of it. Will be testing these when they come in.

Comment

• tarrack
      Unwashed
      • Nov 2018

shooters pro has blems for 39.45 per 100 less if your prior military or use a discount code in handloader magazine..

Comment

• grendelnubi
        Warrior
        • Apr 2017

Comment

• Bobke
          Warrior
          • Dec 2015

Comment

• ErikS
            Warrior
            • Dec 2017

Dug up this thread to find what folks have experienced with the 129 ABLR. I loaded up some AR-Comp. I will see how it does Friday.
            #shareyourspare

Comment

• LR1955
              Super Moderator
              • Mar 2011

Originally posted by grendelnubi View Post
              I had a chance today to go to a private range with a friend who is member. It was my first experience at ranges beyond 200 yards.

I had a chance to shoot the American Gunner with really good results to 500 yards. The load was chronographed at avg of 2389 fps out of my odin works 18" DMR barrel. It performed good.

I then moved to my Nosler ABLR 129gr 26.9 grains of AR Comp, seated to 2.265 (1.641 Ogive to Base). Checked zeroed at 100 yards and put three in the same hole. I then worked out to 200, 250, 350, 400 and 500 yards using the Lapua Ballistics calculator and it was right on at every yardage.

At 500 yards I hit the 1 MOA plate on my first try, then proceeded to hit 2 out of 3 followup shots before running out of ammo.
              I only brought 20 rounds to test, I'm out of AR Comp....

The 129 ABLR AR Comp load averaged 2363, with a SD of 8.3 and ES of 21.

I'm sold on this ABLR load. At 500 yards it was 3.8 mills of elevation, the wind was 10-15 mph right to left, it was a half plate windage about 2.5 inches.

In comparison to the AG, which was a full plate windage and 3.9 mills of elevation even with the faster FPS.

Anyone who is working with this ABLR you may consider using AR Comp. This same load in my 12.7" faxon shots lights out also. I would be intrested in your results.
              GN:

Something not quite right here. You are saying that with a average 12 MPH full value wind, the bullet only drifted 2 1/2 inches at 500 yards?

I just ran the numbers using Nosler's bullet data on the 129 ABLR at 2360 fps. G7 BC of .267 according to Nosler. Given a 12 MPH full value wind, the ABLR at the velocity you recorded is pushed 28 inches to the side, not 2 1/2.

LR55

Comment

• grendelnubi
                Warrior
                • Apr 2017

I never dial in any windage and my hold was at the very edge of the 5" plate. That may not align with reason or ballistic calculators but that is actual. You can assume worst case was 5" wind drift from POA because I do not know exactly where on the plate I was hitting. 3 weeks later I had the same opportunity with a new lot of AR Comp and duplicated the same results. Also had decent results with the 12.7 faxon as well.

Comment

• kmon
                  Chieftain
                  • Feb 2015

I have seen several shooting situations where what you think is a full value wind is not due to the lay of the land. One there was brush and typography along the way that a dead on hold was within a few inches at 500 yards.

Litz numbers shortly after the LRAB became available the 129gr 6.5 version was dead on for G7 BC as advertised, some were not per his testing.

Comment

• grendelnubi
                    Warrior
                    • Apr 2017

Not sure what the reasoning is behind the questioning but my Lupua calculator is right on with the 129 Nosler using G7. It has been right on with both my 18" and 12.7. I rarely shoot past 200 yards so I never include any weather or wind in my calculations.

Comment

• Jakal
                      Warrior
                      • May 2014

I run the ABLR out of 12" & 20" Lilja barrels. 8208 is my powder of choice for these 2 rifles. 27 grains MAX load per Nosler reloading data, getting 2145 and 2345 fps respectively.

This is my whitetail load, bigger Indiana deer. Several takedowns. I have a note for G7 Litz BC of .553. Minimum Impact Opening Velocity (MIOV) as 1300 fps, as stated above.

Error correction: Litz G7 should be .285
                      Last edited by Jakal; 06-13-2019, 03:54 PM.
                      ""Come taste my Shillelagh you goat-eatin bastard!""

Comment

• grendelnubi
                        Warrior
                        • Apr 2017

From my limited experience with the Grendel, and rifles in general, I have came to my own conclusion that Nosler projectiles are the way to go. They have out performed every other projectile manufacturer I have tested. I so much wanted the Hornady to be my go to projectile manufacture, but for me, they just would not perform on the same level as Nosler. Will Hornady work, sure, but my confidence in the Nosler's is so much higher due to the ease I had in getting them to shoot. They are a little more expensive but worth it.

Because I spent so much time with Hornady, it was a long expensive journey for me. Outside of just plinking, I have no reason to shoot any other projectile. Nosler is my go to projectile. The 129gr ABLR was what sealed the deal for me.

Comment

• Kswhitetails
                          Chieftain
                          • Oct 2016

Jakal, that's a G1 number. It works, even at 2320. Wish I could get that from my 12.7. >.<
                          Nothing kills the incentive of men faster than a healthy sense of entitlement. Nothing kills entitlement faster than a healthy sense of achievement.

Comment

• Jakal
                            Warrior
                            • May 2014

Yep my bad. Correction: Should be .285
                            ""Come taste my Shillelagh you goat-eatin bastard!""

Comment

Working...
                            X