Clear All
  • Bfglowkee
    Warrior
    • Jan 2019

Hornady 129 Interlocks w/XBR day 1

• Javman
    Warrior
    • Jan 2016

Nice write up. I've loaded up the same 129s with LVR which I was only able to shoot on a whim. I have a RAP and I had just sighted in the rifle with some 120 Fusions and decided to take a poke at a steel plate at 200yds and got the same P.O.I. as the Fusions! Those 120/129s hit hard at 200yds. Thanks for sharing the info.

Comment

• Bobke
      Warrior
      • Dec 2015

Comment

• grendelnubi
        Warrior
        • Apr 2017

I have also recently received 500 of the 129 gr SP Interlock from a Hornady rebate on a press I purchased. I will be doing load development to be used on either my 12.7" or my 18" Grendel. I am wondering if I should try some XBR, it wasn't on my short list.

One thing I have noticed about these flat based bullets is they will need to be seated deeper than the Nosler 129 ABLR's I hunt with. I will be able to work on jump with these Interlocks however. Right now with my 12.7 they are hitting the lands at 2.225 COAL, Ogive to base of 1.718. I have heard good hunting testimonials using Interlocks with long action calibers but not too sure how they will work on my AR's with the limited velocity.

Comment

• Bfglowkee
          Warrior
          • Jan 2019

Comment

• Bobke
            Warrior
            • Dec 2015

Comment

• Cornbread
              Warrior
              • Dec 2015

The interlock is a good bullet. But they are geared for a little more velocity so range may be limited given the lower mv and an assumed 1800 ish fps to expand.

I would be careful running ladders with xbr and no chrono as pressure tends to build quickly. Often with a new bullet, powder combo especially one with no published data. I will run 1 shot ladders across the chrono and watch the velocity. Once it starts to flatten out your usually close to max. I often find that I will see the nodes as the bullet impacts cluster around the nodes. You find the nodes and max pressure with the least amount of components.

Comment

• Bfglowkee
                Warrior
                • Jan 2019

Absolutely Cornbread. My purpose for this load is my 100 yard hunter. I have taken exactly 2 shots over 100 yards in 10 years to put meat in the freezer. Both with my Creedmoor. Since my goal was to build this Grendel up to be my carry around stalking rifle and mid range target fun gun I am choosing bullets for this purpose. I already know it will shoot the factory SST loads within 1 MOA so in a pinch I can have them and be ready. I also rarely push the envelope and this powder charge is still almost 3/4-1 grain shy of what is anticipated to be the max charge. Bobk, got me up if you ever want to get the cr Ed running out further. I can always be convinced to shoot

Comment

• A5BLASTER
                  Chieftain
                  • Mar 2015

Originally posted by Bfglowkee View Post
                  Absolutely Cornbread. My purpose for this load is my 100 yard hunter. I have taken exactly 2 shots over 100 yards in 10 years to put meat in the freezer. Both with my Creedmoor. Since my goal was to build this Grendel up to be my carry around stalking rifle and mid range target fun gun I am choosing bullets for this purpose. I already know it will shoot the factory SST loads within 1 MOA so in a pinch I can have them and be ready. I also rarely push the envelope and this powder charge is still almost 3/4-1 grain shy of what is anticipated to be the max charge. Bobk, got me up if you ever want to get the cr Ed running out further. I can always be convinced to shoot
                  Might be worth while do do a search on here for data with that bullet and powder. Seems I remember reading several times that powder spikes even quicker then normal when you use the heavier pills like the 129,130 and above.

If you have some cfe223 or leverevolution that is the powders I would be useing with that bullet, they will give you the better speeds.

The sd and es might not be as good as other powders but if your truly only doing 100 yard are closer shots with it a lil loser sd and es would be ok.

Comment

• Bfglowkee
                    Warrior
                    • Jan 2019

Comment

• Bfglowkee
                      Warrior
                      • Jan 2019

Comment

• DFHarley19
                        Unwashed
                        • Feb 2020

grendelnubi,

I just measured the COAL (2.2205) and Ogive (1.7802) today! I was surfing to see what is the best jump with Interlocks. Just wondering if you figure them out yet?

Thanks!
                        DFHarley19

Comment

Working...
                        X