• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Klem
    Chieftain
    • Aug 2013

Originally posted by Mad Charlie View Post

For super accurate LR bolt rifles there a lot of things that can be done, but some of those thing don't seem to be as effective in a semi auto rifle.
    +1

...Now, where's my popcorn?

Comment

• LR1955
      Super Moderator
      • Mar 2011

Originally posted by Mark611 View Post
      LR1955, who I am is not important!!! what I can do to help someone to get better results results is what I'm here for! The loading I do I learned from people far starter then I! along time ago! the techniques I use today is because of better tooling then back then, What I do works for me, I may go way beyond what most will do for reloading but my results also go beyond what most people can achieve due to the lack of knowledge and that's all I'm trying to provide, I'm not trying to toot my own horn!
      Roger that. You are not a competitive shooter. Nor a hunter either or you would have said so.

With all these "results that go beyond what most people can achieve due to their lack of knowledge", you have nothing to prove your results have one iota of meaning in any practical scenario so they will be questioned by guys who are still in the arena of competitive shooting and or hunting.

Anyway, I certainly won't get in your way but I certainly will question you if I think you are wrong.

LR55

Comment

• grayfox
        Chieftain
        • Jan 2017

+10 on the popcorn and roger for '55 and Klem... must be about time for this movie to roll the credits...LOL!!!
        "Down the floor, out the door, Go Brandon Go!!!!!"

Comment

• A5BLASTER
          Chieftain
          • Mar 2015

Originally posted by grayfox View Post
          +10 on the popcorn and roger for '55 and Klem... must be about time for this movie to roll the credits...LOL!!!
          It's hard to hear but I can just make out the fat lady singing in the back ground lol.

Comment

• centerfire
            Warrior
            • Dec 2017

Originally posted by Mark611 View Post
            LR1955, who I am is not important!!! what I can do to help someone to get better results results is what I'm here for! The loading I do I learned from people far starter then I! along time ago! the techniques I use today is because of better tooling then back then, What I do works for me, I may go way beyond what most will do for reloading but my results also go beyond what most people can achieve due to the lack of knowledge and that's all I'm trying to provide, I'm not trying to toot my own horn!
            I'm skeptical.

Comment

• Mad Charlie
              Warrior
              • May 2017

Personally, I would just like to see some verified targets, and the rifle(s) that he is shooting, with the loads. Also his equipment and techniques.

Comment

• caleb90
                Bloodstained
                • Jan 2019

lee pistol/ strait wall rifle round dies are good to go. for a bottle neck pick hornady or rcbs for economic or redding n forester if you have deep pockets

Comment

• bj139
                  Chieftain
                  • Mar 2017

Originally posted by bj139 View Post
                  I can't bash my standard Lee Grendel dies since they work OK. I have shot several .5 MOA groups using them, probably as good as I can shoot.
                  Maybe some do have problems.
                  Originally posted by LR1955 View Post
                  BJ:

Roger -- I think you have said this a couple of times on different threads. We got it!

Lets see if this thread has any more value to it. If not, lets let it die.

LR55
                  Many new people do not read the old threads.

You gave me permission to bash Lee dies but stating my actual experience is not OK?
                  Last edited by bj139; 02-17-2019, 02:44 PM.

Comment

• rbshoots
                    Banned
                    • Feb 2017

Just a quick question for LR55 and all of you saying you are still in the competitive shooting game... Is it your opinion that just because you shoot in competition yours are the only acceptable ways to load? Yeah I know 611's process may not be for everyone, but that does not mean his are wrong either... He and I have had many discussions about bolt gun and semi reloading... And there are things I do when I load bolt guns that I don't, and would not do when loading semi's...For instance, I would not turn necks on a semi... But one thing I don't question is his results, I have stated in other threads I have witnessed too many times the groups he is able to produce... one does not need to be a national champion or participate in competition to read about and put into practice some of the shared knowledge of those that are... hope y'all enjoyed the show...

Comment

• LR1955
                      Super Moderator
                      • Mar 2011

Originally posted by rbshoots View Post
                      Just a quick question for LR55 and all of you saying you are still in the competitive shooting game... Is it your opinion that just because you shoot in competition yours are the only acceptable ways to load? Yeah I know 611's process may not be for everyone, but that does not mean his are wrong either... He and I have had many discussions about bolt gun and semi reloading... And there are things I do when I load bolt guns that I don't, and would not do when loading semi's...For instance, I would not turn necks on a semi... But one thing I don't question is his results, I have stated in other threads I have witnessed too many times the groups he is able to produce... one does not need to be a national champion or participate in competition to read about and put into practice some of the shared knowledge of those that are... hope y'all enjoyed the show...
                      rb:

I never said I questioned his results, I only asked him to give us the mean and deviation based on numerous groups shot with his specialized bolt rifle. I fully understood he shot a bolt rifle and it wasn't a Grendel.

I do question technocrats who are fixated on the micro at the expense of reality. When a guy with no 1000 yard experience at all posts that a cartridge with some minute amount of run out equates to a dispersion of one inch at 1000 yards, I will question his experience. He may be technically correct but I bet there are about five or six hundred other variables that outweigh this one a thousand times over.

So, if Mark611 decides to post some other trivia that is theoretically true but absolutely impossible to prove in the environment, take my word for it, there are guys here who will call BS and do so with a lot less tact than I am doing.

Who would I trust more for advice on a hunting rig for hogs -- one of the semi professional hunters here or a technocrat with no hunting experience?

Who would I trust more to give me advice on a F Class rifle and cartridge for 1K yards? An experienced and competitive F Class shooter or a weekend shooter who shot some decent groups at 200 yards?

Pretty simple for me.

LR55

Comment

• rbshoots
                        Banned
                        • Feb 2017

Which is kinda my point... 611 has known people who were competitive shooters, won many competitions, I personally didn't know them all that well but saw the trophy's and other acknowledgements of their success... unfortunately they are no longer with us... The internet is just chock full of information, as are books and articles written by well known and respected shooters... so enough info to get one started on the path are there... Most shooters I know are just like sportsmen in any discipline, they are willing to get you started, but hesitant to share their little trade secrets, but as with anything else, you do enough of it, you figure things out. So I guess what I am saying, is one does not have to be a competitive shooter to have the knowledge or equipment to do so. And I personally would listen to shooters that I see produce consistent sub MOA groups, and then discard what would not work for me, but try and utilize or alter to fit my needs that which would. Yeah 611 does get very technical, and there is much debate amounst people who shoot both competitively and non competitively but who nonetheless produce outstanding results, as to whether all his methods are required or not. I do a fair amount of reading on some of the subjects, like turning necks or trimming meplats, pointing, and tipping... Just those two subjects alone are subjects that a wide variety of people have varying opinions on. Is it worth turning necks and trimming and pointing to gain 5% in BC on bullet? For most people I would say no it isn't, but there are folks who have done a fair amount of testing just these two areas and have concluded there is something to be gained if you shoot out beyond say 500 Yds. As has been pointed out, these methods of his are for bolt guns, and some of this, in my opinion, do not translate into semi reloading, or loading of all calibers regardless of action type. As you should well know, one should work their way out to distance... 611 is doing just that, I know because I frequently shoot with him and spot for him... As you can tell he is proud of his accomplishments to date, and he should be, and I have every confidence that as his rifle gets pushed further he will gets results. But that is just my .02 worth

Comment

• grayfox
                          Chieftain
                          • Jan 2017

methinks thou dost protest too much...
                          such extensive claims... yet still no pics or proof.
                          the question remains "where's the beef?"
                          611 has been asked several times to put up the proof, all we get instead is more lectures.

OP has gotten some useful info for his purposes and decisions in the early section. so we can dispense with all the rest of the blahblah and I, for one, wish him well in his journey into reloading. OP keep us posted, ok?

This part of the show, however, has gone long past its lawful life.
                          611/rbs if you do in fact have any actual proof to show, I recommend you start another thread to do so since this thread is not about you. Then you can talk to your heart's content.
                          I'm outta here, on to threads where worthwhile info is being discussed and presented.
                          "Down the floor, out the door, Go Brandon Go!!!!!"

Comment

• LR1955
                            Super Moderator
                            • Mar 2011

Originally posted by rbshoots View Post
                            Which is kinda my point... 611 has known people who were competitive shooters, won many competitions, I personally didn't know them all that well but saw the trophy's and other acknowledgements of their success... unfortunately they are no longer with us... The internet is just chock full of information, as are books and articles written by well known and respected shooters... so enough info to get one started on the path are there... Most shooters I know are just like sportsmen in any discipline, they are willing to get you started, but hesitant to share their little trade secrets, but as with anything else, you do enough of it, you figure things out. So I guess what I am saying, is one does not have to be a competitive shooter to have the knowledge or equipment to do so. And I personally would listen to shooters that I see produce consistent sub MOA groups, and then discard what would not work for me, but try and utilize or alter to fit my needs that which would. Yeah 611 does get very technical, and there is much debate amounst people who shoot both competitively and non competitively but who nonetheless produce outstanding results, as to whether all his methods are required or not. I do a fair amount of reading on some of the subjects, like turning necks or trimming meplats, pointing, and tipping... Just those two subjects alone are subjects that a wide variety of people have varying opinions on. Is it worth turning necks and trimming and pointing to gain 5% in BC on bullet? For most people I would say no it isn't, but there are folks who have done a fair amount of testing just these two areas and have concluded there is something to be gained if you shoot out beyond say 500 Yds. As has been pointed out, these methods of his are for bolt guns, and some of this, in my opinion, do not translate into semi reloading, or loading of all calibers regardless of action type. As you should well know, one should work their way out to distance... 611 is doing just that, I know because I frequently shoot with him and spot for him... As you can tell he is proud of his accomplishments to date, and he should be, and I have every confidence that as his rifle gets pushed further he will gets results. But that is just my .02 worth
                            RB:

You are his brother, correct?

I honestly have no clue what you are getting at. If you think for a second that he has the same credibility as Klem, Sticks, LRRP52 and other competitors and hunters here -- you are wrong. And yes, it is a matter of credibility.

I do not care how many 1/4 minute groups he has shot with his bolt rifle. He is the one implying that this is the norm, not the exception. He is the one arguing that some esoteric process he uses to reload is the key. When he can also produce some Regional or National Titles, most of us will take him seriously. Oh yes -- he has a habit of not responding to guys who have questions about his statements.

Until then, we wish him the best on his AR build and who knows -- maybe he can devise something innovative that takes the AR to the next level. But if he does nothing different than the other highly skilled AR gunsmiths here but comes back saying he is shooting a mean of 1/4 minute at 200 with his AR Grendel -- he either needs to prove it or he will face some serious skepticism.

And I am tired of this thread going through the same cycle of Mark saying something that brings questions -- that he doesn't answer -- then you come on and defending him. This is really annoying and this conversation has become useless. We have better things to do so I will lock the thread.

Mark needs to open up a new thread if he wants to go over his AR build. I think that will go way better for him than this one.

Now -- I have some training to do before my competitions this coming weekend.

LR55

Comment

Working...
                            X