• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Jmccracken
    Warrior
    • Dec 2017

is there a do it all bullet?

Looking for something that will be accurate. atleast .5-.75 moa, but will be good for hunting as well, that way I dont have to mess with different bullets, finding multiple loads.

From what i can find, seem's 123 sst's probably cheapest option for both worlds.
  • kmon
    Chieftain
    • Feb 2015

123gr A-max was my do all bullet for several years. Worked well for target, hogs and deer

Comment

• Bronsonburner
      Warrior
      • Dec 2018

I would like to know this as well. My gun really likes 123 ELDMs but I am a little leery of using them for hunting.

Comment

• JASmith
        Chieftain
        • Sep 2014

Muzzle velocities from the Grendel are low enough that the ELD-M should hold together.

Also, do a search for the bullet in this forum. I am reasonably sure some of our brother and sister Grendeliers have already harvested game with it. Their reports should tell us if the bullet is OK for hunting.
        shootersnotes.com

"To those who have fought and almost died for it, freedom has a flavor the protected will never know."
        -- Author Unknown

"If at first you do succeed, try not to look astonished!" -- Milton Berle

Comment

• DDRanch
          Warrior
          • Jul 2017

Yep, 123 A-Max

Comment

• Double Naught Spy
            Chieftain
            • Sep 2013

Oh, you know I am going to vote for Speer TNT 90 gr.
            Kill a hog. Save the planet.
            My videos - https://www.youtube.com/user/HornHillRange

Comment

• Cornbread
              Warrior
              • Dec 2015

The 123 eld and sst are very close in poi with the same loads. The eld's will group slightly better.

Comment

• GSPHunter
                Warrior
                • Jun 2014

jmccracken, if money were no object 129ABLR's would be the only bullet I shoot....I like 123 sst's or ELD-X's for price and accuracy, but if you hit heavy bone, they'll come apart most dramatically. I've pretty much settled on 130 RDF's for fun...albeit loaded out at 2.345" and run through an ASC magazine with the front cut out. The nice thing about the Grendel is that is really does shoot a wide variety of bullets well, so why chose just one!

Comment

• rabiddawg
                  Chieftain
                  • Feb 2013

100 grain nosler bt does it for me.
                  Knowing everthing isnt as important as knowing where to find it.

Mark Twain

http://www.65grendel.com/forum/showt...2-Yd-Whitetail

Comment

• kmon
                    Chieftain
                    • Feb 2015

Originally posted by GSPHunter View Post
                    jmccracken, if money were no object 129ABLR's would be the only bullet I shoot....I like 123 sst's or ELD-X's for price and accuracy, but if you hit heavy bone, they'll come apart most dramatically. I've pretty much settled on 130 RDF's for fun...albeit loaded out at 2.345" and run through an ASC magazine with the front cut out. The nice thing about the Grendel is that is really does shoot a wide variety of bullets well, so why chose just one!

For hunting I hae switched from the A-Ma bullets to the Nosler 129gr LRAB bullets and when they first became available I bought 1000 Berger 130 AR Hybrids. Botheh shoot almost to the same point of impact with the same charge in my bolt action. Using up what I have left of the 123 Hornady bullets in the AR but have a good load for it with the LRABs as well.

Comment

• Bfglowkee
                      Warrior
                      • Jan 2019

Comment

• Frontier Gear
                        Warrior
                        • Nov 2017

Another vote for the factory 123 ELD-M. They kill just as well as the SST but are a hair more accurate in most of the Grendel’s that I have owned.
                        Engineer, FFL and Pastor

Comment

• FW Conch
                          Warrior
                          • Nov 2014

For Me, settling on one bullet requires too much compromise. A hunting bullet is a hunting bullet. The closest I have found to dual purpose is the Amax. And it is just an accident they worked so well for hunting. But the Amax is history, and when My stash is gone, that's it. To Me, true accuracy/target bullets cannot be counted on for across the board performance as a hunting bullet. JMO

Comment

• tracker12
                            Warrior
                            • Dec 2017

Originally posted by Cornbread View Post
                            The 123 eld and sst are very close in poi with the same loads. The eld's will group slightly better.
                            My results exactly. I have been killing GA hogs with no problem using ELD M
                            AR's make shooting fun again!

Comment

• grendelnubi
                              Warrior
                              • Apr 2017

I agree with FW to an extent concerning the use of target bullets for hunting, but the game has changed. There is a bullet that is designed to share the best of both worlds and does it in the Grendel extremely well. That is the 129 gr Nosler Accubond Long Range - its the best all around projectile for the Grendel. Expensive, hard to come by, yes but in my opinion, its worth it.

For lond distance shooters - high BC (.531 / .267 G7) and has been proven to be very accurate, plus we have a Grendel load that is just flat out accurate.
                              For hunting - Lowest minimum expansion 6.5 projectile that I know about (1300 fps), this is critical for the Grendel if you expect to push the distance. Bonded so it will hold together even at highest FPS impacts. Major factor in energy transfer and producing complete pass thru's.

Not all target projectiles can make these claims.

Comment

Working...
                              X