X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • gold51
    Unwashed
    • Mar 2019

Factory barrel tuning has been offered before- I owned a Win Model 70 30-06 with an adjustable muzzle brake- you used a small spanner tool to twist the brake until you found the optimal sweet spot for a specific cartridge loading. yes it did tighten groups up- it was a hunting rifle, though. I sold the rifle to Gander Mountain, but inadvertently, I forgot about the book and wrench. Perhaps I can find an orphan brake for sale online- here is the BOSS version, sold by Browning-
    Mark

added: consider skipping rope- it only works if you jump at the exact moment the rope is under your feet- the barrel tuning device is an attempt to time the barrel vibrations so the bullet leaves the muzzle at the exact moment the barrel is stationary. I assume, that is why short heavy barrels are reported to shoot better than long ones= there is less barrel vibration. It was a common discussion on rifle stocks that barrel bedding and the forend screw tightness were all factors in accuracy. I have never tried to tune a basically, free floating AR barrel, but I an sure it can be done- Has anyone tried using different barrel brakes in such a test?
    Last edited by gold51; 03-09-2019, 03:42 PM.

Comment

• LtDan
      Warrior
      • Sep 2017

If you do a search for an article "Shooting in a Warehouse" it was about a warehouse in Houston that was over 300 yards long so the manager a well known bench rest shooter and his buddies made a back stop and a bench to shoot from and they would start shooting from late evening to early morning. They were trying to find the most accurate rifle, bullet and setup. If the rifle would not shoot "zeros" it was even worth shooting. A "zero" .099 over bullet size for a 5 shot group. Their findings were very interesting. 22 caliber was the most accurate, powder was not as critical, barrel had to be 21.75 inches, the most important thing was the care given in setting up the cartridge. The best target they produced was .024 over bullet size for five shots. Great article
      Last edited by LtDan; 03-09-2019, 10:34 PM.

Comment

• Drillboss
        Warrior
        • Jan 2015

3000 yards is a really big warehouse.

Here's a link https://precisionrifleblog.com/2013/...ifle-accuracy/

Comment

Working...
        X