• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • oyster
    Warrior
    • Jul 2018

123 gr Amax

Hi Everyone , I was gifted two boxes of 123 gr Amax Grendel ammo. Shoot it or save it....since it's like unicorns now.
    Jay
  • rabiddawg
    Chieftain
    • Feb 2013

Why save it? It’s not a collectors item.

All Hornady did was change the tip
    Knowing everthing isnt as important as knowing where to find it.

Mark Twain

http://www.65grendel.com/forum/showt...2-Yd-Whitetail

Comment

• ronwethington
      Bloodstained
      • Jan 2019

What did they change it to?

Comment

• LRRPF52
        Super Moderator
        • Sep 2014

Almost all the A-MAX line was replaced with ELD-M so they have uniformity in tip sourcing.

The ELD-M tip is harder so it doesn't deform as easily, which was meant for faster shooting high BC heavies, but benefits us in the AR15 by resisting tip deformation during the feeding cycle through the feed ramps.

I really like the ELD-Ms, but have more trigger time with 123gr A-MAX in the thousands of hand loads mostly.

The 123gr ELD-Ms are bit more svelte to the eye.
        NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• keystone183
          Warrior
          • Mar 2013

I am certain it has been discussed, but i am pretty sure i remember that the ELD-M is exactly the Amax with a different tip? I know that the Hornady Black loading with the ELDM isn't as accurate in any of my guns as the Hornady Match load with the Amax.

Comment

• ported45
            Warrior
            • Feb 2018

When Hornady's Doppler radar testing of their bullets revealed erratic data, it was found that the polymer tips were melting, deforming, and causing havoc with aerodynamics. Introducing the ELD line of bullets with advanced polymer tips that are not affected by the heat of traversing 1000's of yards in a few seconds.

However, I think that there was more that was changed than just the polymer tips to make the 123 ELD-M to not perform as well as what had been experienced by the multitudes that had previously shot the 123 Amax. I have no proof, but that is my thought.

Comment

• davidj
              Warrior
              • Sep 2014

Originally posted by LRRPF52 View Post
              Almost all the A-MAX line was replaced with ELD-M so they have uniformity in tip sourcing.

The ELD-M tip is harder so it doesn't deform as easily, which was meant for faster shooting high BC heavies, but benefits us in the AR15 by resisting tip deformation during the feeding cycle through the feed ramps.

I really like the ELD-Ms, but have more trigger time with 123gr A-MAX in the thousands of hand loads mostly.

The 123gr ELD-Ms are bit more svelte to the eye.
              Paul,
              Have you found any performance differences between the two?
              Never walk away from home ahead of your axe and sword. You can't feel a battle in your bones or foresee a fight. -The Havamal

Comment

Working...
              X