• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Pa Pap
    Unwashed
    • Dec 2018

Powder burn rate chart info

I am having a bit of an issue working up loads with cfe 223 and 8202. Looking at the chart, I have a few other powders in the area of these powders, some slower, some faster. Is it better for the grendel to burn slower and have a higher % fill capacity?
  • Pa Pap
    Unwashed
    • Dec 2018

I have a 22 inch barrel

Comment

• LR1955
      Super Moderator
      • Mar 2011

Originally posted by Pa Pap View Post
      I am having a bit of an issue working up loads with cfe 223 and 8202. Looking at the chart, I have a few other powders in the area of these powders, some slower, some faster. Is it better for the grendel to burn slower and have a higher % fill capacity?
      It is better to go by the data in reloading manuals. Go by powder burn rate charts and you will get into trouble.

There are enough on line resources with load data that no one should have to experiment anymore.

Also various stickies in the Reloading Forum with load data.

Finally, LRRP52 sells a very thorough Grendel Reloading manual. I think he has almost every load developed by every powder and bullet company printed in that manual. Best single source Grendel resource a guy can own.

LR55

Comment

• Pa Pap
        Unwashed
        • Dec 2018

Is there a link to get this manual?

Comment

• Cornbread
          Warrior
          • Dec 2015

Explore the world of Nosler, renowned for crafting the finest bullets, ammunition, rifles, and brass. Discover our extensive lineup, including Partition, AccuBond, E-Tip, Ballistic Tip, Custom Competition, and more. Experience superior quality and performance with Nosler products.

Comment

• CaptnC
            Warrior
            • May 2018

Don't see what bullet weights your trying to shoot...

Out of my two Grendel's the easiest to get a good load with was H335. Not a lot of guys here use it.

8208 has been the hardest for me.

CFE 223 I had read early in my introduction to the Grendel that its not very temperature stable. So being in Texas I decided to not even buy it. In Houston you can be shooting with 100 degree temps...a week later be hunting in 32 degree weather.

I seen a couple youtube videos were the guy was gething great velocity from Benchmark and I gave some so it will be loaded here pretty soon for some range time

Comment

• NugginFutz
              Chieftain
              • Aug 2013

Volume 1 & Volume 2 + 6.5 Grendel / 6mm AR Chamber Brushes Volume 1: AR-15 Reloading Basics Volume 2: Reloading for Hunting Two Pack of 6.5 Grendel / 6mm AR Chamber Brushes *** IMPORTANT *** SHIPS US Domestic (Includes Alaska & Hawaii)
              If it's true that we are here to help others, then what exactly are the others here for?

Comment

• Popeye212
                Chieftain
                • Jan 2018

This is will help you A LOT

Comment

• JASmith
                  Chieftain
                  • Sep 2014

Plus see theost above to go directly to the page.
                  shootersnotes.com

"To those who have fought and almost died for it, freedom has a flavor the protected will never know."
                  -- Author Unknown

"If at first you do succeed, try not to look astonished!" -- Milton Berle

Comment

• Pa Pap
                    Unwashed
                    • Dec 2018

Originally posted by CaptnC View Post
                    Don't see what bullet weights your trying to shoot...

Out of my two Grendel's the easiest to get a good load with was H335. Not a lot of guys here use it.

8208 has been the hardest for me.

CFE 223 I had read early in my introduction to the Grendel that its not very temperature stable. So being in Texas I decided to not even buy it. In Houston you can be shooting with 100 degree temps...a week later be hunting in 32 degree weather.

I seen a couple youtube videos were the guy was gething great velocity from Benchmark and I gave some so it will be loaded here pretty soon for some range time
                    Trying to get Hornady ELD 123 grains to work. I also had no luck with 8208. CFE 223 is just getting about 3/4" groups. I have a lot of powders around these burn rates, so I thought I would try one, but don't know if faster or slower is better.
                    I have some H335, so I will give it a try.
                    Thanks all for your feedback.
                    If I can't get these to work, I might try 107 gr bullets

Comment

• caleb90
                      Bloodstained
                      • Jan 2019

cfe has been so so for me. getting awsome results with 100gr noslers over benchmark

Comment

• grayfox
                        Chieftain
                        • Jan 2017

If cfe isn't working for ya, might think about AR-comp. Around 28.0 grs for my 20" howa...
                        Not to mention that CFE might give better groups (3/4 isn't bad btw!) with a tweaked COAL...
                        "Down the floor, out the door, Go Brandon Go!!!!!"

Comment

• davidj
                          Warrior
                          • Sep 2014

[QUOTE=Pa Pap;226412]Trying to get Hornady ELD 123 grains to work. I also had no luck with 8208. CFE 223 is just getting about 3/4" groups.

How much 8208 were you loading with the 123s?
                          Never walk away from home ahead of your axe and sword. You can't feel a battle in your bones or foresee a fight. -The Havamal

Comment

• CaptnC
                            Warrior
                            • May 2018

Originally posted by caleb90 View Post
                            cfe has been so so for me. getting awsome results with 100gr noslers over benchmark
                            What barrel length and tell me more about the Nosler/benchmark combo. I just loaded 40 round with 107 SMK over various amounts of Benchmark. If I can finish up the 24" barrel build in the morning (just got the gas block and tube in the mail a few minutes ago) I would like to run it to the range tomorrow!

Comment

• caleb90
                              Bloodstained
                              • Jan 2019

Originally posted by CaptnC View Post
                              What barrel length and tell me more about the Nosler/benchmark combo. I just loaded 40 round with 107 SMK over various amounts of Benchmark. If I can finish up the 24" barrel build in the morning (just got the gas block and tube in the mail a few minutes ago) I would like to run it to the range tomorrow!
                              20in barrel 100gr nosler custom comps, 28.5 gr benchmark 2.200 coal light lee factory crimp. 2642 fps 4.93 std deviation

Comment

Working...
                              X