X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • topcaat1
    Bloodstained
    • Nov 2011

LR 1955 is right. I was getting a little excited/ nervous at the time I took that last shot.
    That load and rifle will usually shoot under .75" and quite often right around .5" when I do my part, which is not as often as it should be.
    With a bolt action I'm usually very consistent, an AR not so much.
    With the AR I have to make sure everything about my setup is exactly the same and must concentrate on not over muscling it.
    Must also agree that it is easier for me to shoot sub MOA groups at distance, 300-600yds than it is at 100(wind dependent of course).

Comment

• LR1955
      Super Moderator
      • Mar 2011

Originally posted by topcaat1 View Post
      LR 1955 is right. I was getting a little excited/ nervous at the time I took that last shot.
      That load and rifle will usually shoot under .75" and quite often right around .5" when I do my part, which is not as often as it should be.
      With a bolt action I'm usually very consistent, an AR not so much.
      With the AR I have to make sure everything about my setup is exactly the same and must concentrate on not over muscling it.
      Must also agree that it is easier for me to shoot sub MOA groups at distance, 300-600yds than it is at 100(wind dependent of course).
      TC1:

3/4 minute is just fine. You won't win any bench rest comps with it or an AR-15 so what is the big deal about shooting groups?

And if you are focused on 'not' doing something, chances are you will do just that. Got to change your way of thinking. Instead of saying 'I won't' do something to yourself, instead tell yourself 'I will' do something. Will make a gigantic difference in performance.

And, you can have the worse position in the world but if you pull the trigger when the dot or cross hair is in the middle of the target, and you have a zero, that's where your shot will go. Get the best position you can and focus on sight picture totally, 100%, nothing else. If your sight picture is moving too much for you, then work on position until you are comfortable that you can make a good shot within its range of movement. Normally the dot or reticle will move about a little then move directly into the center and hold there for about a half a second. Learn to recognize its movement and movement speed and you will soon be shooting quite confidently and without stress.

Also, AR's are not bench rest rifles. AR's jump and move out of position between shots when shooting off a bench. I have found the best way to control the things is to put a great amount of force on them when shooting off a bench. I have not found a rest that won't break so I use two G.I. sandbags for the forend and a decent size rear bag. I adjust the bags so I can fit into the position without undue contortions and I put a lot of force down on the stock with my cheek while pulling in quite forcefully with my firing hand. Sometimes my non firing hand too using the magazine well. I will dry fire a couple of times to make sure the system is pointed into the target and will not fall apart when shooting then I shoot five round strings with each string taking maybe six or eight seconds. When the dot or cross hair is in the target, the shot goes. I am not doing this for fun. It is to check a load or zero.

LR55

Comment

Working...
      X