• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • bwaites
    • Mar 2011

XBR is the least temp sensitive.

Comment

Originally posted by bwaites View Post
      Bob, have you played with the 75 grain AMAX? As well as the 123's shoot, I've been considering trying them.

Or do the BTHP shoot better?

What kind of velocity are you getting with XBR?

I was about to order a bunch of AMAX's until I saw your post on the BTHP.
      Bill,

I have had .7 moa 200 yard groups with the 75 grain a-max. 1:9" 20" Kreiger with Wylde chamber. 24.5 Varget, 2.32oal, lake city brass, WSR primer (old ones). 2712 FPS, SD 19.04

Comment

• bwaites
        • Mar 2011

Originally posted by davidj View Post
        Bill,

I have had .7 moa 200 yard groups with the 75 grain a-max. 1:9" 20" Kreiger with Wylde chamber. 24.5 Varget, 2.32oal, lake city brass, WSR primer (old ones). 2712 FPS, SD 19.04
        Thanks!

Comment

• Larry in SD
          Unwashed
          • Dec 2011

OK so it seems those that shoot winter and summer should consider IMR-8208XBR as the powder of choice. I am considering building a 16" or 18" 6.5 Grendel and will more than likely concentrate on 120gr. Nosler Ballistic Tips to use on Coyotes and Whitetail Deer. What muzzle velocity should i expect from a 16" or 18" 6.5 Grendel with the 120gr. Nosler Ballistic Tips?

Thanks

Larry

Comment

Looks like very similar numbers, at least in the 16-19.5" barrels.

120gr bullet

16" at 500yds 1616V 696E 26.58Path

19.5" at 500yds 1670V 743E 24.90Path

Charts are weird though, a 600yd zero?
            Last edited by Guest; 01-13-2012, 06:17 PM.

Comment

• PA_Allen
              Warrior
              • Mar 2011

Larry,
              I get a little over 2500 fps out om 20" using 28 gr of 8208 with the 120 NBT. See this post
              I finally was able to pick up a pound of XBR 8208 to try. I only had time to try a few loads with the 100 gr and 120 Nosler Ballistic Tip Bullets. All of the loads were fired through my 20" Lothar Walther Barrel with the CSS chamber. Chronograph screens 12 ft. from muzzle, all velocities reported from chrono. (not

I would expect you to get around 50 to 100 fps less in the 18 and 16" barrels respectively.

Best,
              PA

Comment

• Larry in SD
                Unwashed
                • Dec 2011

Thanks for the replies.

Larry

Comment

Ok, bought powder and primers, just trying to decide what 100 or 120gr bullet type to go with...

Im looking to order some 120 TTSX Barnes unless someone can talk me out of it

Comment

• bwaites
                    • Mar 2011

Originally posted by Deezil View Post
                    Ok, bought powder and primers, just trying to decide what 100 or 120gr bullet type to go with...

Im looking to order some 120 TTSX Barnes unless someone can talk me out of it
                    The TTSX 120's are long, and some people have complained that they take up powder space and that they can't be driven as hard from the mag length because of that. Some have used the 100's instead and been happier.

I've only used the TSX's and been happy with them, but the only thing I hunt is coyotes, and just about any Grendel bullet is good medicine for them!

The Hornady 123's have become my favorite, because they are so easy to get to shoot well and will drop just about anything, including deer. I know they aren't a hunting bullet, but everyone seems to report they do really well.

Comment

Hmm, yeah, I was mainly going for a hunting bullet, Ill be working around the 28.5gr of the 8208 powder... Want accuracy, and lethal.

Comment

ok, I orderd a box of 100gr TTSX, we will try that out.

Comment

Got my bullets, Ill do some reloading tonight, searching seems 30.5gr of the 8208XBR is the spot to be, but Ill make a batch around that and see what my gun likes best.

Maybe hit the range tomorrow!

Comment

ok, got a few batches reloaded, 29.5, 30 and 30.5gr. The 30 and 30.5 sure seemed compressed. Will see how they shoot after work tomorrow.

Comment

Grendel Sign

That's a cool sign. Where can I get one and do you have one for the Beowulf?

Lou

Comment

Ok back from the range. Disapointed. Maybe my rifle doesnt like 100gr bullets, or the 8208XBR power?

from Left to Right at 100yds off a bench with a great hold. No real difference in load charges... Not like I usually see anyway.

29.5gr, 30gr, 30.5gr of IMR8208XBR

Comment

Working...
                                X