• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • DDRanch
    Warrior
    • Jul 2017

Moly Coating?

Does anyone here still shoot Moly coated bullets? I came across a good deal on 107 SMKs, but they are Moly coated.
  • Randy99CL
    Warrior
    • Oct 2017

I picked up a box of factory loads with Moly bullets and since I knew nothing I googled them. Turns out that few shooters bother with them anymore and some have claimed they've corroded barrels. This article is pretty good: http://bulletin.accurateshooter.com/...en-from-favor/
    "In any war, political or battlefield; truth is the first casualty."

Trump has never had a wife he didn't cheat on.

Comment

• Klem
      Chieftain
      • Aug 2013

I used to coat match rounds for bolt guns ten years ago when it was the fashion. Messy waste of time and the barrel needed cleaning every time. No better results. It disappeared as quickly as it came.

To be fair, your manufacturer coating will be less messy than handloader-applied moly powder but don't expect anything special.

Comment

• DDRanch
        Warrior
        • Jul 2017

Works out to around 22 cents per bullet delivered but not sure if the flip side is worth the extra work?

Comment

• Warlock
          Bloodstained
          • Dec 2018

There won't be any extra work involved.

The vast majority of people destroying their barrels were from areas of high humidity. Montana and Reno NV are dry enough climates to keep the Moly from changing into different salts.

I have been doing my own molying for more than twenty years now and not once have had rust in the barrel.

I'm gonna be real popular when I say that all the people who had problems with Moly simply didn't know what they were doing.

My "After season" gun maintenance and cleaning has never given me problems.

Order your bullets, load and shoot them until you run out of them, clean your barrel before going back to non-coated bullets.
          You only think you're alone

Comment

• Klem
            Chieftain
            • Aug 2013

Originally posted by Warlock View Post

I'm gonna be real popular when I say that all the people who had problems with Moly simply didn't know what they were doing.

For the avoidance of doubt, I didn't say I had barrel problems, I said it gave me no extra velocity or better groups for the messy extra steps in the re-loading process.

This goes for all the other F-Class shooters who were using it alongside me at the time. It was a well-meaning fad that came and went, like Blackout and piston uppers.

Comment

• Warlock
              Bloodstained
              • Dec 2018

I am sorry Klem. I didn't supply enough information.

Moly will turn to salt in a high humidity environment.

The shooters suffering from glassing their barrels left too much moly on their slugs when doing their own. The moly can become built up and glazed over from the heat of the gases. At that point the barrel is ruined because there are no weapon friendly solvents capable of removing moly glass from a barrel. Factory molied slugs will not glass a barrel.

I have learned to put an eighth of a tablespoon to 2 pounds of ceramic media and tumble no more than two hours, this gives me a perfect coat of molly with no build-up of moly. Very important.

I tumble up to 200 slugs. After the slugs are tumbled is when things get messy. I keep a box of latex gloves in the house for cooking and moly. I dig the slugs out of the moly media with a slotted spoon and throw them on a terry towel. When all the slugs are pulled, I "chaffe" the slugs back and forth in the towel for just a couple seconds and that leaves the slugs dust free and clean enough to load. I separate wash the towel because it can get messy.

I can remember when Midway and other companies where chasing the new fad of moly selling "spray on moly" and other industries selling any grade of moly they could get their hands on.

The "industry" pretty much ruined peoples barrels buy selling types of moly that had no right to be in a barrel or on a slug or not supplying the technical important information.

I realize that moly lowers chamber pressure but it didn't bother me, much like every other reloader in the world, I enjoy working up consistently accurate loads.

I would like to offer my apologies again Klem, It seems like I urinated in a lot of peoples wheaties today. I was just blabbering and wasn't targeting your post at all.

I was trying to imply that shooting factory coated moly slugs won't be a big hassle for someone shopping just to feed his bad habit. If said person decides to start molying his own, the only advice I can give learn the proper technique.
              Last edited by Warlock; 04-27-2019, 03:48 AM.
              You only think you're alone

Comment

• Chipj4
                Bloodstained
                • Apr 2018

Originally posted by Klem View Post
                For the avoidance of doubt, I didn't say I had barrel problems, I said it gave me no extra velocity or better groups for the messy extra steps in the re-loading process.

This goes for all the other F-Class shooters who were using it alongside me at the time. It was a well-meaning fad that came and went, like Blackout and piston uppers.
                Don't look now but Brownells is trying to rekindle the piston upper fad.

Comment

• Bronsonburner
                  Warrior
                  • Dec 2018

Darn this reminds me I need to clean my 700 in .243. I last shot it in the fall with Federal Fusion factory loads that are moly coated. I hope it isn't ruined but it has lived in my safe with dehumidifiers since then...

Is it weird that the .243 loadings in Fusion are the only moly bullets left in the line?

Comment

• caleb90
                    Bloodstained
                    • Jan 2019

years back when i first got my 300wsm 2007ish, i shot factory winchester ballistic silver tips. ran two boxs through and had enough of the coating on them, you could spend days tryin to get that stuff out of the barrel

Comment

• Texas
                      Chieftain
                      • Jun 2016

I am using 155 gr Sierra Palma and 55 Sierra
                      gr FMJ moly bullets. You can tumble them in Lyman media and remove the coating if you so choose. If you don't buy them, I am interested

Comment

Working...
                      X