• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • A5BLASTER
    Chieftain
    • Mar 2015

Charged cases lifespan.

Ok got myself into a situation tonight.

Primed and throw my ladder charges but when I was done. The rain started too pour down and there is no way for me to get my charged cases out too the shop too seat the bullets.

Will my unfinished rounds be ok in my gun safe over night?

Or should I just plan on trashing the powder and primers that I charged the cases with tonight?
  • Jimla
    Warrior
    • Dec 2018

It should be OK, as long as you don't have extreme humidity, causing water drops to form inside the cases overnight. I would be more worried about fire risk than powder going bad. Primers are not sealed air tight so they should never have a problem.

Comment

• Klem
      Chieftain
      • Aug 2013

A5,

You will be fine.

If you've left your cases in the safe overnight they will be fine. Smokeless powder is way less hydroscopic than traditional gunpowder. I'd be more worried about tipping a few grains out in moving them.

Comment

• A5BLASTER
        Chieftain
        • Mar 2015

Thanks for the reply gents. I always throw and then go seat and finish the loads. And just never had this happen before where I couldn't finish.

Comment

• Chipj4
          Bloodstained
          • Apr 2018

Originally posted by Klem View Post
          A5,

You will be fine.

If you've left your cases in the safe overnight they will be fine. Smokeless powder is way less hydroscopic than traditional gunpowder. I'd be more worried about tipping a few grains out in moving them.
          I am amazed at how bouncy powder can be. As careful as I try to be I always manage to bounce some out of the pan, the tickler and sometimes out of charged cases if I bump or otherwise move the tray wrong.

Comment

• grayfox
            Chieftain
            • Jan 2017

I put a flat piece of plastic or cardboard over the top and use a rubber band or two... keeps all the cases tidy.
            "Down the floor, out the door, Go Brandon Go!!!!!"

Comment

• A5BLASTER
              Chieftain
              • Mar 2015

Originally posted by grayfox View Post
              I put a flat piece of plastic or cardboard over the top and use a rubber band or two... keeps all the cases tidy.
              I typically just use an extra empty lyman plastic loading try turned upside down. Works perrty good. Still didn't want to chance going out through the rain and being in my shop with all the moisture in the air as well.

I got them finished up this morning before the rain hit again.

I need to finish my loading bench and move everything inside the house.

Comment

• Kswhitetails
                Chieftain
                • Oct 2016

I use two case trays and hold them together, one holding the cases, one as a lid - IF I have to move charged cases. It's not a common occurance, but it's happened. Can't imagine that you couldn't just do this, rubber band them, throw them in a gallon ziplock, and traverse the rain though?

Are you just doing these functions in separate locations in the interest in keeping your powder inside with climate control consideration?
                Nothing kills the incentive of men faster than a healthy sense of entitlement. Nothing kills entitlement faster than a healthy sense of achievement.

Comment

Working...
                X