• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • daved20319
    Warrior
    • May 2019

COAL with Howa Mini action?

New guy with first Grendel on the way, a Howa Mini Action from Brownell's. I'll be dropping it in a Boyd's Classic stock for now, just to make it shootable, but will most likely make some pillars and bed it next winter. Did the same with a Pro Varmint and a Savage 12 FV in .223, came out pretty good, and is a pretty consistent sub-MOA shooter.

Anyway, I set the Savage up as a singe shot, so that I wasn't limited by mag length restrictions, but was wondering what max length is in the Howa both from the mag, as well as single loaded. Haven't completely made up my mind what the Grendel is going to be, hunter or target, so my initial shooting will just be to get a feel for the caliber and its capabilities. I tend to be pretty recoil sensitive, anything heavier than a .223 is unpleasant for me, so this will also be a chance to decide if I need a brake, and if so, which one.

So, not looking for load data at the moment, plenty of info in my load manuals and online, just looking for max length, both from the mag and single loaded. Will certainly be more later, thanks!

Dave
  • HokeyPokeyKid
    Warrior
    • Sep 2018

The Howa Mini magazine internal length is 2.345 and I have loaded out to 2.320 without issue.

Comment

• A5BLASTER
      Chieftain
      • Mar 2015

Originally posted by HokeyPokeyKid View Post
      The Howa Mini magazine internal length is 2.345 and I have loaded out to 2.320 without issue.
      Man I got the shaft on my mags coal compared to yours. Not one of mine can I go past 2.320. If I load too 2.325 the tips are hard against the inside of the mag. I did window one mag to see what I could get and I can hit 2.350 and feed fine but at 2.360 I will get one or 2 every full mag that will catch and hang up a lil.

Comment

• HokeyPokeyKid
        Warrior
        • Sep 2018

2.320 is the max length that would feed the 108 grain scenar reliably for me, anything shorter worked just as well

Comment

• daved20319
          Warrior
          • May 2019

Thanks, gents, that helps. Most of the load data has the COAL at typical AR length, 2.26 max, it's good to know that the Grendel mag is a little longer. Looking forward to starting to load for the Grendel, just need to make up my mind on which dies to get, not as many choices with this caliber, and most are on the expensive side. Later, and thanks again.

Dave

Comment

Working...
          X