• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • sbowhuntr
    Warrior
    • Mar 2019

Power Pro Varmint

Anybody use power pro varmint? Sierra publishes some pretty impressive velocities over all other powders listed with their 100g offerings. Sounds like that extra 100fps or so they list might be worth a try.
  • Chipj4
    Bloodstained
    • Apr 2018

Not yet but I aim to for that reason. I think 2000MR looks like it may be pretty good as well IIRC.

Comment

• A5BLASTER
      Chieftain
      • Mar 2015

Use the search option at the top right hand side of the home page should be a few threads from a few years ago on that powder.

If I remember correctly there is something about that powder that makes it spike pressure very badly when the day time temps reach the 90 degree mark. Can't remember exactly what it is. Should be in one of the old threads.

Comment

• sbowhuntr
        Warrior
        • Mar 2019

I wondered about it's temp sensitivity, also heard it's accuracy nodes are at lower charges/velocity. Just prodding around but maybe I will just stick with 8208 and Benchmark.

Comment

• A5BLASTER
          Chieftain
          • Mar 2015

Originally posted by sbowhuntr View Post
          I wondered about it's temp sensitivity, also heard it's accuracy nodes are at lower charges/velocity. Just prodding around but maybe I will just stick with 8208 and Benchmark.
          What bullet weights?

I did a ton of reading in the loading fourm before I ever purchased my first peice of loading kit. I cut my teeth learning how too load with the grendel.

What stuck out too me the most was the 3 main powders to use for bullet weights that gave the best speed and was safe and easy for me to learn on.

It worked out so well for me I only use 3 powders. H335 for 85 to 110 grain pills, cfe223 for 120 to 125 grain pills and leverevolution for 128 too 140 grain pills.

To keep my loading even simpler since I have at and bolt grendels I settled on useing just one type of primer cci450's.

Hope this helps sir.

Comment

• sbowhuntr
            Warrior
            • Mar 2019

Im only running the Hornady 95g vmax and 123gsst at the moment in the grendel, mostly use it for coyote hunting. Planning on trying sierra 100g soon and was curious about power pro.

I have on hand a boat load of H335 but have yet to try it, also have 8208 xbr (which I am currently using) Benchmark and cfe 223 amongst too many other per the wife..

I tried cfe 223 in my 22 nosler with poor results so I stick with Benchmark and varget for the light pills and imr 4350 for the 75g loads. I am currently running the cfe 223 in my creedmoor with 95g vmax and it works great in that.

As primers go its mainly cci br's, rem 7 1/2 br or fed 205m. Thanks for the info...

Comment

• Warlock
              Bloodstained
              • Dec 2018

I used the Sierra load data to work up loads with PPV.

I worked on 123gn Nosler CC, 130gn RDF and 129gn Hornady SST's.

I didn't have much luck with it except for one load under a 123gn Nosler CC. That one load suddenly tightened up and shot pretty decent for me.

As of now, I use PPV for my 123 grain loads. I use AR Comp for my heavier bullets.

I had no problems with temperature stability but I have read many threads about PPV being temp. sensitive.
              You only think you're alone

Comment

• JSH
                Bloodstained
                • Apr 2019

Comment

Working...
                X