Barnes TTSX 100gr -- Any good reloading info?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • MarkS
    Bloodstained
    • Dec 2018

Originally posted by rabiddawg View Post
    The pressure spike warnings come from members using 120 ( and/or larger) grain bullets. Max loads under 100 nosler bt are well under max pressure according to published data. I know the copper pills build pressure faster but Barnes supposed remedied that with the bands.

Is it possible you have a chamber on the short side?
    FWIW, I have no issues with 8208 and 100gn Nosler BT bullets, but I do have pressure issues with the 100gn and 120gn Barnes TTSX. Also, velocities are just as good or better for me with Benchmark. YMMV

Comment

• Longtubeman
      Unwashed
      • Jul 2017

have a load for a 24'' barrel ar15. I use barnes ttsx 100gr ,cci 450 primers,seat to 2.250. these are hot loads, so back off to start. My wifes 24'', 9 twist barrel, uses 35 gr of ww748, gets 3000 fps. about 3/4 groups. mine is a 24'' barrel, and a 8 twist, gets 2956 fps, and groups .365, with 35 gr of cfe 223 in it. both worm loads.Also have a load for 127 lrx barnes. 32 gr cfe 223, seat at 2.300,450 primer,gets 2624 fps, and groups .490 at 100 yards all shot at 70 degrees, and 1500 ft.

Comment

• A5BLASTER
        Chieftain
        • Mar 2015

Originally posted by Longtubeman View Post
        have a load for a 24'' barrel ar15. I use barnes ttsx 100gr ,cci 450 primers,seat to 2.250. these are hot loads, so back off to start. My wifes 24'', 9 twist barrel, uses 35 gr of ww748, gets 3000 fps. about 3/4 groups. mine is a 24'' barrel, and a 8 twist, gets 2956 fps, and groups .365, with 35 gr of cfe 223 in it. both worm loads.Also have a load for 127 lrx barnes. 32 gr cfe 223, seat at 2.300,450 primer,gets 2624 fps, and groups .490 at 100 yards all shot at 70 degrees, and 1500 ft.
        I wouldn't call those hot. I would call those loads explosive and soon too disassemble a rifle and someone's hands.

I simple can't see how your putting 35 grains of powder in a 35 grain water capacity case and seating a bullet in the neck.

If I shoot that load I'm my bolt action. I would probably have too beat the bolt handle open with a sledge hammer. If it would even survive it.

So yea I'm calling a major red flag BS on what you just posted as loads.

Comment

• Squid
          Bloodstained
          • Aug 2018

Originally posted by A5BLASTER View Post
          I wouldn't call those hot. I would call those loads explosive and soon too disassemble a rifle and someone's hands.

I simple can't see how your putting 35 grains of powder in a 35 grain water capacity case and seating a bullet in the neck.

If I shoot that load I'm my bolt action. I would probably have too beat the bolt handle open with a sledge hammer. If it would even survive it.

So yea I'm calling a major red flag BS on what you just posted as loads.
          I just loaded some Barnes TAC-TX 100 grain and 30.3 is considered a compressed load with Accurate 2460. I loaded up to 30.0 but thats the max I went. I will be test them out this Thursday and will post the results after. I'm curious to see the FPS and which load groups best. I'm starting at 27.5 and see what I get from there.

Comment

• A5BLASTER
            Chieftain
            • Mar 2015

Originally posted by Squid View Post
            I just loaded some Barnes TAC-TX 100 grain and 30.3 is considered a compressed load with Accurate 2460. I loaded up to 30.0 but thats the max I went. I will be test them out this Thursday and will post the results after. I'm curious to see the FPS and which load groups best. I'm starting at 27.5 and see what I get from there.

Squid your good sir. Wasn't questioning your data but the data that Longtubeman posted.

There is no way that is happening without some serious side effects.

His post reminds me of a member that use too post here under the name xcountryrider.

Comment

• Michael-95037
              Bloodstained
              • Apr 2019

Squid, Did you get to the range? How did those 100gr Tac-TX loads workout? The anticipation is killing me...

Comment

• Squid
                Bloodstained
                • Aug 2018

Originally posted by Michael-95037 View Post
                Squid, Did you get to the range? How did those 100gr Tac-TX loads workout? The anticipation is killing me...
                Unfortunately, no. The only day this entire month it rained in San Diego was Thursday, so I didn't get to go. I'm planning for this upcomming Wednesday so hopefully the weather will be good. Once I do, I will start a new thead and break down each group moa to include FPS.

Comment

• Squid
                  Bloodstained
                  • Aug 2018

Originally posted by A5BLASTER View Post
                  Squid your good sir. Wasn't questioning your data but the data that Longtubeman posted.

There is no way that is happening without some serious side effects.

His post reminds me of a member that use too post here under the name xcountryrider.
                  All good. This was just my way of agreeing with you. Even H335 at 30.4 is a compressed load. A2460 at 30.3 is compressed so I stopped at 30.0. IMHO, anything over that is playing with fire and risk personal safety.

Comment

• meatsweats
                    Warrior
                    • Aug 2018

Comment

• toolsofthetrade
                      Warrior
                      • May 2011

Ive killed deer and coyotes with them, worked fine. I think my load is with cfe 223, I'll have to look

Comment

• Longtubeman
                        Unwashed
                        • Jul 2017

Barnes ttsx 100gr

Hi , every gun is different, chambers are different, if you don't like the info, dont use it. I have been reloading 45 years, I'm still here, yes I load hot! I said ( these are hot loads, so back off to start) .as for your major red flag BS, I dont do BS, dont have too!

Comment

• A5BLASTER
                          Chieftain
                          • Mar 2015

Hi , every gun is different, chambers are different, if you don't like the info, dont use it. I have been reloading 45 years, I'm still here, yes I load hot! I said ( these are hot loads, so back off to start) .as for your major red flag BS, I dont do BS, dont have too!
                          Well by God we have it gents this fella found the unicorn 6.5 grendel super short ultra magnum we have all been looking for.

You do realize how silly you sound when you say your putting 35 grains of powder in a case that can only hold 35 grains of water. And that's when there is no bullet in the case neck.

My bolt grendel loads will break a ar15 grendel of that I'm sure. So yea you are full of the BS when you say your putting 35 grains of powder in a 35 grain water capacity case.

And even more BS when you say your running it out of an ar grendel.

So yea I'm going too call and throw a big red BS flag every time sir.

Comment

• Longtubeman
                            Unwashed
                            • Jul 2017

Well gee assblaster your real special! I have watched longtubeman load these rounds and have been beside him on the firing line, have the targets to prove as well as several bystanders, it also took a antelope. Drop tube loading is an art form, don't try it.

Comment

• A5BLASTER
                              Chieftain
                              • Mar 2015

Well gee assblaster your real special! I have watched longtubeman load these rounds and have been beside him on the firing line, have the targets to prove as well as several bystanders, it also took a antelope. Drop tube loading is an art form, don't try it.
                              Lol so you were right next too yourself watching yourself do the shooting lol.

Dude the case only holds 35 grains of water too the very tippy top of the case neck. Where do you think 35 grains of powder will end up when you put it in the case lol.

I'm useing powders well know too members of this board too safely fit more in the grendel case then the powder you said your useing and I have to vibra settle the load so I can seat the bullet at 2.300 coal.

So yea big BS flag.

But that's enough of me jacking up the op thread. I just hope no one finds what you said as serious and blows up their weapon and themselfs.

Comment

• Longtubeman
                                Unwashed
                                • Jul 2017

Ha,ha, that was my wife who caught your last bit of ignorance, she was just trying to set you straight on your lack of having an open mind. Guy there are people who know more then you. I was trying to share knowledge with you. The fact that you dont want to learn, and think you know ever thing is sad. Good luck!

Comment

Working...
                                X