• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • BombCity
    Unwashed
    • Apr 2019

6.5 Grendel Build, Powder Recommendation

Hello Everyone,
    Long time viewer and been lurking around a while. I have to hand it to many of you, you know your stuff! I have just recently finished a 6.5 Grendel build. It is a BA DMR Premium 20 inch fluted barrel, Wilson Combat .750 Gas Block, BA 6.5 Grendel Bolt Carrier Group, ZEV Billet Receiver Set, CMC 2.5 lb. trigger. I have 300 rounds of Lapua brass, 5000 CCI 450 primers, 1000 - 123 SST bullets, Redding National Match precision 3 die set. I have bought the Grendel II reloading book and have about 30 decent loads saved on my computer from the book and this forum. I just need to make a final decision on powder. I have narrowed it down to either the 8208 XBR or AR-COMP based on everyone's load data and load performance. I've never used either of these powders. I have plenty of experience in loading for 300 RUM, 270 Win. and .243 Win. just no experience with the 6.5 Grendel on an AR platform. Just hoping someone has a suggestion based on past experience for me to make a final decision on powder so I don't have some more powder sitting on my shelf that will never get used. Thank in advance! I sure do appreciate everyone's input. Sincerely, Mark in Amarillo "BombCity"
  • grayfox
    Chieftain
    • Jan 2017

Welcome to the forum BC. For break in I would recommend factory loads, Hornady Black 123 are the usual there. As for the SST's, you should probably try both the XBR and AR comp and judge which one your barrel likes, just start low and work up. Xbr is known to spike in pressure quickly somewhere 28-28.5 depending on your specifics. CFE223 is another useful one for the SST's. I wouldn't recommend any of my load fave's b/c they are with different brass. I think book max on the ARC is 28.0 or 28.2... don't recall which brass type however.
    Start low, use 0.2 or 0.3 gr increments, which is 1.0% case volume or slightly below.
    "Down the floor, out the door, Go Brandon Go!!!!!"

Comment

• Sputnik
      Warrior
      • May 2013

+1... XBR, AR Comp, and CFE 223 are all I use for my 123 SST.

Comment

• A5BLASTER
        Chieftain
        • Mar 2015

Cfe223 is where I'm at with 123 grain pills.

And welcome too the horde sir.

Comment

• Bfglowkee
          Warrior
          • Jan 2019

Comment

• Jakal
            Warrior
            • May 2014

Grayfox has good info. Start with factory rounds and see which group best. That will give you an idea of what your barrel likes. Save a few unfired rounds as a measurement guide and the fired cases as a pressure baseline. Load up a few test rounds and see how they compare to the factory fired cases. After testing this way you can re-use the 1x fired factory brass since it is fire-formed as the start of your charge ladder. When working a new caliber I always start this way.

Just got into 6.5 Creedmoor in both AR-10 & a revamped Ruger American Predator. Running factory at first for baseline 143ELD-X 129 SST, 120GMX & Nosler Trophy 129 ABLR all factory loads.

Then I chose my desired bullet and the powder, all book loads, create 1 round of bullet/powder combo and shoot, looking for pressure signs. So if I bought the 129SST Superperformance factory ammo, I load to book and compare my pressure loads to the fired factory.

This breaks in my barrel, gives me a baseline and spare brass that I take shoulder measurements from for shoulder setback.
            Of course, once you start changing components you are going down your road, not a known road!
            Last edited by Jakal; 05-08-2019, 03:22 PM.
            ""Come taste my Shillelagh you goat-eatin bastard!""

Comment

• BombCity
              Unwashed
              • Apr 2019

Thanks so much for the reply's. I do appreciate it. Based on all the reading I've done I guess I'm going to try to stay away from CFE as it is temperature sensitive and I guess stick to 8208 and AR-Comp. Right now leaning a bit more towards the AR-Comp as it doesn't seam to have the quick pressure spikes as some have mentioned. keep the responses coming if you will. Everyone's opinion is sure welcome! Thanks again! BombCity

Comment

• Jakal
                Warrior
                • May 2014

Those powders work well. I have a Bartlein barrel that loves AR-Comp but won't shoot CFE worth a damn. Both my Lilja's like XBR8208. Between those 2 you should find a decent load.

Lettuce know how it turns out!
                ""Come taste my Shillelagh you goat-eatin bastard!""

Comment

• Bigs28
                  Chieftain
                  • Feb 2016

I primarily use cfe. Ive tried ar comp and 8208 with similar accuracy but the cfe223 gave me the best velocity with the accuracy. I love in south florida. I shoot when it's 90 degrees and when it's 50 degrees. I have not seen a difference in primers across the temperature spectrum. Ive read some people have had issues and others have not.

Comment

• drewsbow
                    Warrior
                    • Nov 2018

AR Comp is fast becoming a favorite for me

Comment

Working...
                    X