A top notch quality sizing die (recommend me one)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • LR1955
    Super Moderator
    • Mar 2011

Originally posted by R2BRO View Post
    A5BLASTER, but i still want to confirm:

1) when i purchase that redding type s bushing full length die, it comes with some standard bushing? or according to LR1955 it comes with some bushing sets of .285, .286, .287 ?

2) so unless i order separately proper bushing i cannot use that sizing die, correct?
    R2BRO:

Start out with the .286 and see how it works. It will work but you may end up buying a .285 and .287 too. I believe the bushings cost about $15.00 each for the basic steel ones and more for the titanium ones. The die does not come with a bushing because different 6.5 mm cartridges have different neck thicknesses so would use different bushings.

Run a search because this topic has come up a couple of times in the past but I believe the three common ones are .285, .286, and .287.

LR55

Comment

• NugginFutz
      Chieftain
      • Aug 2013

Originally posted by R2BRO View Post
      nuggin, thanks a lot, but few things:
      * not to sound like I'm nitpicking, but you need to mark your y and x axis so that we know what is what. what is left Y axis, right Y axis and X axis? if you mark those 3 properties (what they are) then there is no need for numbers underneath, otherwise it looks confusing. you only marked one (not sure which) vertical y axis, and your left and right y vertical axes have different numbers on same scale. confusing.,
      R2bro

I stated in the paragraph just above the chart that the left scale is raw measurements, and the right is accumulated work.

I included the data table for those who prefer such things. Please disregard it, if the graph is all you need.

Different Y-axis scales are quite common in many charts. In this case, they both represent inches, which I mistakenly assumed would be obvious, given the context.

The chart was tossed together rather quickly, and bedtime was beckoning, so this was all I was up to posting.
      If it's true that we are here to help others, then what exactly are the others here for?

Comment

• centerfire
        Warrior
        • Dec 2017

After reading all of the back and forth as well as the questions I recommend just buying a complete Forster set with full length sizer and micrometer seating die. Load some ammo with them and if you feel like you need to adjust the neck tension either use a Sinclair neck mandrel, buy a specific size Forster expander ball, or send the sizing die to Forster and have them ream it. I have bushing dies and honestly I'd rather just use regular full length sizing dies anymore.

Comment

• Mad Charlie
          Warrior
          • May 2017

Originally posted by centerfire View Post
          After reading all of the back and forth as well as the questions I recommend just buying a complete Forster set with full length sizer and micrometer seating die. Load some ammo with them and if you feel like you need to adjust the neck tension either use a Sinclair neck mandrel, buy a specific size Forster expander ball, or send the sizing die to Forster and have them ream it. I have bushing dies and honestly I'd rather just use regular full length sizing dies anymore.
          I agree completely.

Comment

• Cornbread
            Warrior
            • Dec 2015

Let me say this about bushing dies. You better have concentric necks or you must turn them. Otherwise you are pushing any difference inside where it contacts the bullet because you are squezzihg the outside of the case neck. An expander will push any difference to the outside. This is why competition shooters turn case necks. You can get worse runout with bushing dies on loaded rounds because of this. Another alternative is getting a forster full length sizing die and for cheap they will hone it to size your brass. So you can control how much the initial sizing is based on your chamber and brass. That way the expander or mandrel you use to expand the necks is only working the brass a minimal amount.

Comment

• NugginFutz
              Chieftain
              • Aug 2013

Originally posted by Cornbread View Post
              Let me say this about bushing dies. You better have concentric necks or you must turn them. Otherwise you are pushing any difference inside where it contacts the bullet because you are squezzihg the outside of the case neck. An expander will push any difference to the outside. This is why competition shooters turn case necks.
              I couldn't agree more - where bench shooting is concerned. This is why I measure the necks with a ball micrometer. Hornady brass is quite nearly as consistent as Lapua. My loaded brass has very good consistency, with average of .002” or less runout. That is from both the Hornady New Dimension and the Redding Type-S dies. More than good enough for any gasser. If such things still still nag at you, then you can still run the expander button with the dies and your problem is solved.

One of the benefits of a bushing die is the ability to account for different brass thicknesses. A good example of this Hornady and Lapua. The Lapua requires a .287” bushing to achieve .003” of neck tension, whereas the Hornady brass requires a .286” bushing. If you have both, as I do, then sizing either to the same neck tension only requires substituting the correct bushing.

For my part, I use the bushing dies to control neck tension and to extend brass life. YMMV.
              Last edited by NugginFutz; 05-19-2019, 06:08 PM. Reason: Typo
              If it's true that we are here to help others, then what exactly are the others here for?

Comment

Working...
              X