• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • daddyflea
    Unwashed
    • Feb 2019

Bullets for killing Hogs

Been searching for the right bullets for Hogs. Ruled out 123 gr AMAX because it often goes right through. Switched to 100gr Sierra Varminters loaded with 29grs of H335. Very accurate load but often do not get enough penetration. Bought some Nosler 100gr Match bullets and shot a couple small Hogs and they went right through. Not enough Hogs shot with this bullet for a opinion. I recently bought Hornaday 100gr Soft Point spitzers and I have high hopes for this bullet. All loaded with 29grs of H335. I hear Hornaday may have discontinued this bullet.

Anybody got a tried and true load. I realize a 22 will put them down when you hit them in the ear but I need something pretty reliable when shots are made running.
  • Bigs28
    Chieftain
    • Feb 2016

Blunt force trauma has a multitude of videos posted here using 90g speer tnt. With many shots on running hogs.

Ooops meant DNS. Not blunt force trauma
    My bad
    Last edited by Bigs28; 07-18-2019, 11:42 AM.

Comment

• kmon
      Chieftain
      • Feb 2015

Check out Double Naught Soy posts on hogs and bullets, these days he is dropping them often with Speer 90gr TNT bullets in factory loads. For a long time he used 123gr SST factory loads. I have killed a few with SST and A-Max and had no issues with them but small samples of 5 or so. Speer

DNS has some videos of bullet testing with necropasy in them showing damage and has reviewed quite a few bullets. Will say Bryan is a heck of a shot on running hogs. You can learn some about how far to lead a hog that is running, it is further than most might think

A couple options that are more expensive I really like 100gr partition and 1239gr Accubond Long Range from Nosler.

Comment

• BobinNC
        Warrior
        • Oct 2017

Nosler Partition 100 gr. up to 28.5 grains H335 (Nosler data): https://load-data.nosler.com/load-data/65-grendel/
        Barnes TTSX 100 gr. up to 30.4 H335 ( Barnes Data): https://www.barnesbullets.com/wp-con...ndelForWeb.pdf

Neither is cheap, but they are effective in killing.....

Comment

• Double Naught Spy
          Chieftain
          • Sep 2013

Blunt force trauma has a multitude of videos posted here using 90g speer tnt. With many shots on running hogs.
          Check out Double Naught Soy
          I feel like Rodney Dangerfield, LOL.

It is not surprising that a Grendel load will pass through a small hog. Even Speer TNT "varmint" rounds will sometimes pass through hogs upwards of 150 lbs. They make a nice large wound channel in the process, but will exit. Hornady SST 123 gr. will zip through broadside on hogs fairly commonly up to 225 lbs, also doing a lot of damage along the way. The most damaging bullet I have seen from the Grendel is the Berger VLD-Hunting 130 gr. It both penetrates and makes for some really nasty wound channels.

I really like the TNT bullets because they do fragment and even when they exit, they exit in pieces, hence posing less threat to animals or objects down range beyond a few yards.

TNT example...

SST example...

VLD-Hunting summary vid...
          Kill a hog. Save the planet.
          My videos - https://www.youtube.com/user/HornHillRange

Comment

• FLshooter
            Chieftain
            • Jun 2019

125g Speer tnt in my 300 blackout has been my go to for hunting FL wild hogs.
            I have some .264 129g Hornady SST that I got for $23.99/100.They group well in my 22” Criterion 6.5 Grendel barrel.Gonna try them on hogs,when I get the opportunity.
            As far as a 90gr Speer TNT for hog hunting w/6.5 Grendel.Sounds like a great round for hogs too.And I seen the vids.For $19 I’m gonna get 100 rds of the .264 tnt from Midsouth when I put in my next order for 6.5 grendel brass.

Comment

• HuntTXhogs
              Warrior
              • Jan 2014

85 grain Maker T-Rex

Won’t over penetrate , a bit pricey , effective on hogs.

In my testing (bullets) I try for shoulder shots to disrupt the bullet as much as possible,
              I have no doubt these will do the job on CNS shots

Comment

• daddyflea
                Unwashed
                • Feb 2019

Our 100gr Sierra will equal the 85tnt but so far they do not penetrate quite far enough to bring down big hogs,

Comment

• A5BLASTER
                  Chieftain
                  • Mar 2015

I use whatever bullet the rifle I'm hunting with likes the best.

I don't care if it's a fmj, cup and core, bonded or copper.

But then again I don't care if they run off and die only to be ate by the birds and yotes.

I just want them dead and gone.

Comment

• loclass
                    Bloodstained
                    • Mar 2018

For anyone looking, I found some Federal 90 TNT ammo available online at : https://www.swfa.com/federal-america...50rd-ammo.html

This has been tough to find for the last year or so.

Comment

• daddyflea
                      Unwashed
                      • Feb 2019

I actually founf some 100 gr Hornaday Soft points and have them loaded and ready to go

Comment

• Harpoon1
                        Chieftain
                        • Dec 2017

Originally posted by Double Naught Spy View Post
                        I feel like Rodney Dangerfield, LOL.

It is not surprising that a Grendel load will pass through a small hog. Even Speer TNT "varmint" rounds will sometimes pass through hogs upwards of 150 lbs. They make a nice large wound channel in the process, but will exit. Hornady SST 123 gr. will zip through broadside on hogs fairly commonly up to 225 lbs, also doing a lot of damage along the way. The most damaging bullet I have seen from the Grendel is the Berger VLD-Hunting 130 gr. It both penetrates and makes for some really nasty wound channels.

I really like the TNT bullets because they do fragment and even when they exit, they exit in pieces, hence posing less threat to animals or objects down range beyond a few yards.

TNT example...

SST example...

VLD-Hunting summary vid...
                        https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wqKHml1J-bw

I see this was posted last month and also see from your videos the 90 TNT works rather well but, have you had a chance to try the 120 Gold Dots yet?

Comment

• daddyflea
                          Unwashed
                          • Feb 2019

Originally posted by Harpoon1 View Post
                          I see this was posted last month and also see from your videos the 90 TNT works rather well but, have you had a chance to try the 120 Gold Dots yet?
                          Have not tried the 120s but the 100gr Hornaday Soft Point seems to really work well. Getting good penetration with a little slower expansion. Unfortunately Hornaday has discontinued these bullets. I hava around 800rds so it will be a while before I need to look for another load.

Comment

• Double Naught Spy
                            Chieftain
                            • Sep 2013

Originally posted by Harpoon1 View Post
                            I don't reload and GDs don't currently come factory loaded yet as far as I know, except maybe through 3rd party custom loaders, but I haven't really looked.
                            Kill a hog. Save the planet.
                            My videos - https://www.youtube.com/user/HornHillRange

Comment

• Harpoon1
                              Chieftain
                              • Dec 2017

Originally posted by Double Naught Spy View Post
                              I don't reload and GDs don't currently come factory loaded yet as far as I know, except maybe through 3rd party custom loaders, but I haven't really looked.
                              You don’t reload! What is wrong with you?

Comment

Working...
                              X