Clear All
  • FLshooter
    Chieftain
    • Jun 2019

Match die set

• A5BLASTER
    Chieftain
    • Mar 2015

Almost positive rcbs makes 264lbc dies and sold at midway. Will have to check could be a different site I seen them on.

264lbc dies will work as well as any die stamped 6.5 grendel.

For what it's worth I started with hornady but now only use Redding dies. Only round I load for is grendel and it's what I learned on, well still learning.

Comment

• A5BLASTER
      Chieftain
      • Mar 2015

Yep it's at midway usa that I seen them.

Comment

• FLshooter
        Chieftain
        • Jun 2019

Thanks fellas I saw the set for $79 and free ship.
        Natchez has Redding 6.5 Grendel national match 3 die set for $197. it looks like a good price considering what you get . Resize,micrometer seating die and taper crimp(which I may never use)Just wanted to know if am I going to notice a difference in accuracy with those opposed to RCBS or Hornaday ?Yes I will be shooting through a custom barrel..
        Paul Craddock was talking about run out and how a good seating die can help. Don’t know enough about it . So before I buy anything I’m gonna wait for more suggestions .

Comment

• A5BLASTER
          Chieftain
          • Mar 2015

I use the Redding bushing neck die and micro meter seater die for my howa grendel. Not sure I could get much better out of it. I have 3 loads that will do 5 shot half inch groups at 200 yards. As long as I'm not messing it up.

Got mine from midway. Didn't get the crimp die. Useing a 288 bushing in my beck sizing die.

Comment

• grayfox
            Chieftain
            • Jan 2017

I personally have not gone looking for, and have not seen that I know of, any noticebale runouts on any of my loads. I use the Hornady for Grendel. that said and just throwing out suggestions, the rcbs doesn't have a floating seater stem, whereas some others do, right? My hdy is kind of a floater I think, but I'd say redding or forster seating die might be worth your money; better dial-adjustments for depth on them is a plus. For the resizing just bump the shoulder back by 003, 004 or as minor as possible (I use 0.005 b/c I shoot 3 Grendels and don't want to have 3 diff shoulder setbacks)...

If runout matters on this new barrel then for sure shoulder setback will matter to you.
            "Down the floor, out the door, Go Brandon Go!!!!!"

Comment

• FLshooter
              Chieftain
              • Jun 2019

Originally posted by grayfox View Post
              I personally have not gone looking for, and have not seen that I know of, any noticebale runouts on any of my loads. I use the Hornady for Grendel. that said and just throwing out suggestions, the rcbs doesn't have a floating seater stem, whereas some others do, right? My hdy is kind of a floater I think, but I'd say redding or forster seating die might be worth your money; better dial-adjustments for depth on them is a plus. For the resizing just bump the shoulder back by 003, 004 or as minor as possible (I use 0.005 b/c I shoot 3 Grendels and don't want to have 3 diff shoulder setbacks)...

If runout matters on this new barrel then for sure shoulder setback will matter to you.
              I wanted a 6.5 grendel Forster micrometer seating die and a Forster sizing die.Problem is that they have a 2 mo wait.No one has the sizing die in stock.
              So,I had to spring for the 6.5 Grendel Redding National Match 3 die set. My only concern is that I will probably like these dies so much that I want to replace all my calibers with a Redding National Match set.

Comment

• VASCAR2
                Chieftain
                • Mar 2011

The RCBS 264 LBC dies are small base taper crimp dies. The RCBS 264 LBC dies have experienced a few QC issues but RCBS has good customer service. Most of my Dies are RCBS and I found a set of RCBS 264 LBC dies on sale for a great price. Personally they are ok but I think the sizing die over works the web of the 6.5 Grendel brass case. Some cases have a crease above the web. I bought a Forster sizing die to try in 6.5 Grendel but haven’t had time to use it. Honestly I like the Hornady 6.5 Grendel dies better than the RCBS 264 LBC dies.

I debated on the Redding competition die set but found a good price on the Forster sizing die and bought it to test. I haven’t really seen a benefit to the taper crimp seating die in the RCBS 264 LBC die set. The neck tension on the seated bullets have been fine with both the Hornady and RCBS sizing dies in my 6.5 Grendel reloads.
                Last edited by VASCAR2; 07-18-2019, 10:31 PM.

Comment

• FLshooter
                  Chieftain
                  • Jun 2019

I already ordered the Redding National match die. set for 6.5 Grendel.Because everyone who sells Forster dies only has the ultra micrometer seating die in stock.
                  The sizing dies are always sold out and have a five week or more waiting period.
                  If I were just to buy the Forster ultra micrometer seating die and used a standard sizing die in my existing sets.would it matter?
                  I was thinking that the seating die is more important if you’re trying to illuminate or cut down on bullet/case run out anyway. I don’t have any feeding issues.

Comment

• Mad Charlie
                    Warrior
                    • May 2017

No, it won't matter.(or shouldn't anyway) There is a reason Forster is backlogged, It's because they are lazy, or people really like them because they are great dies.

Comment

• centerfire
                      Warrior
                      • Dec 2017

Whidden will make you custom Grendel dies, you just have to send them three pieces of fired brass. Or you could buy the Forster micrometer seating die and shoot the rifle while you wait for the back ordered sizing die.

Comment

• Popeye212
                        Chieftain
                        • Jan 2018

Originally posted by Mad Charlie View Post
                        No, it won't matter.(or shouldn't anyway) There is a reason Forster is backlogged, It's because they are lazy, or people really like them because they are great dies.
                        I know they sell out quick have been watching when they become available they don't last long.

Comment

Working...
                        X