• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • RAM2940
    Bloodstained
    • May 2013

Small base reloading dies

Im new to reloading, so i was looking to purchase a set of grendel dies and would like to know if i need small base dies or AR/MSR dies and are the AR dies small base.
  • LR1955
    Super Moderator
    • Mar 2011

Originally posted by RAM2940 View Post
    Im new to reloading, so i was looking to purchase a set of grendel dies and would like to know if i need small base dies or AR/MSR dies and are the AR dies small base.
    RAM:

This has come up a couple of times. Same question.

Most here do not think a SB die is needed for the Grendel. May be needed for 5.56 or 7.62 shot from a gas gun but not for the Grendel.

Probably won't wear your brass any more than anything else but just not needed.

LR55

Comment

• FLshooter
      Chieftain
      • Jun 2019

Hornady new Dimension 6.5 Grendel die set.Is all you need to start.
      And do yourself a favor and get an LE Wilson 6.5 Grendel case gauge.

Comment

• FLshooter
        Chieftain
        • Jun 2019

Hornady new Dimension 6.5 Grendel die set.Is all you need to start.
        And do yourself a favor and get an LE Wilson 6.5 Grendel case gauge.

Comment

• Joseph5
          Warrior
          • Oct 2012

I purchased small base RCBS 264 LBC dies because RCBS is what I have experience with. I have to used any others so I can not say they are necessary or not but it would seem not. I have 5 reloads on some of my Hornady brass with full length resize every time and the brass seem fine so far. My self personally would rather have trouble free ammo feeding than trying to milk a few more reloads out of brass by just barely making them small enough to chamber. My accuracy has been very good with them.

Comment

• Popeye212
            Chieftain
            • Jan 2018

Originally posted by Joseph5 View Post
            I purchased small base RCBS 264 LBC dies because RCBS is what I have experience with. I have to used any others so I can not say they are necessary or not but it would seem not. I have 5 reloads on some of my Hornady brass with full length resize every time and the brass seem fine so far. My self personally would rather have trouble free ammo feeding than trying to milk a few more reloads out of brass by just barely making them small enough to chamber. My accuracy has been very good with them.
            That's not exactly the case with the Grendel. Standard dies will allow more than enough sizing to fit the chamber. I have gone to neck size only die until they finally stretch a little bit. Under the pressures the Grendel operates and the design of the cartridge they just don't move much. Small dies in my opinion needlessly overwork the brass. As stated 5.56 and .308 maybe needed maybe not.

Comment

• RAM2940
              Bloodstained
              • May 2013

Alright, looks like a regular set of dies. Thanks

Comment

• grayfox
                Chieftain
                • Jan 2017

Regular definitely for the Grendel. I have the Hornady altho most of my others are rcbs. The hornady's work great, no problems.
                "Down the floor, out the door, Go Brandon Go!!!!!"

Comment

• A5BLASTER
                  Chieftain
                  • Mar 2015

Originally posted by grayfox View Post
                  Regular definitely for the Grendel. I have the Hornady altho most of my others are rcbs. The hornady's work great, no problems.
                  X2. Hornady dies have worked fine for me in my ar grendel handloads.

Redding for the bolt grendel.

Comment

• plainsman456
                    Unwashed
                    • Jul 2019

I don't use small base dies.

When we first started loading for the Grendel my brother in law bought a set of Hornady dies,full length sizer.

The original brass was from the same folks.

Best that i can remember it has been loaded about 8 times while looking for bullet/powder combos.

Had to toss one case neck that cracked that is all so far.

We have been hunting loads that work in a 18 in.and 2 20 in.barrels.

Good times have been slow in coming but we have hit on 2 load/bullet combos that do the job.

Comment

• Klem
                      Chieftain
                      • Aug 2013

Years ago there was a school of thought that recommended SB dies for auto-loaders to guarantee reliable cycling. Manufacturers like RCBS and Lee recommended them. That fashion seems to have waned with shooters realising that normal dies work fine with the right shoulder bump.

There's no need to over-crush your brass with a SB die unless your chamber has been reamed less than SAAMI in diameter. The chance of that being the case is remote.

The less you work brass the longer it will last. A normal die bumping spent cases back at least .003" is all you need.

Comment

• Djgrendel
                        Warrior
                        • Feb 2016

No need for small base dies. At least from my sample size of 5 grendels I have reloaded for. All are Ar style rifles. As far as sizing cases, reducing the base was the least of my concern.
                        Yard work is not an excuse!

Comment

• Six5x39
                          Warrior
                          • Sep 2017

I use rcbs 264 lbc for auto , just got hornady for bolt . no issues using rcbs yet .

Comment

Working...
                          X