• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • RobUrban
    Bloodstained
    • Jul 2018

130gr nosler RDF

Looking at some of the heavier class bullets to try and the nosler 130gr RDF looks like an interesting bullet. The bullet has a G1 coef of 0.615 and G2 advertised at 0.307. Nosler has data listed on their site out of a 24 inch barrel getting velocities near 2500fps with CFE 223. Has anyone on the forum tried this and would like to share their results. Seems like if this data is accurate this would be a hell of a round for longer range target shooting. It looks like the bullets aren't crazy expensive either at around 28 cents per bullet. Whats the opinions of this around the forum?
  • FW Conch
    Warrior
    • Nov 2014

A few weeks back I had an opportunity to shoot 600yds. I didn't have a 20 MOA rail on the Grendel, so I wasn't able to get a good result from it. With the scope maxed out, holding at the top of the berm, I was impacting at the bottom of the berm. I had some FGMM 130grn Berger Hybrid Open Tip Match to shoot. I have found them to be very accurate at 300yds, but at 600yds they seem to be dropping like a rock. I think at 1,000yds it would be like a howitzer lob. Which is ok if You know and compensate for it. It just makes it more difficult to be competitive. The guys shooting 600 & 1,000yds are mostly shooting the 6mm Dasher at 2,850fps at a minimum (105/115 bullets). I'm going to shoot My Grendel again at 600, but I'm going to load up some 107/110 grn pills, which I feel are more realistic for grouping at distance ?? When I get to 1,000, I'm going straight to My 260 Rem. IMO, a 130grn out of the Grendel can get there, but that's about all.

The small chamberings, like the Dasher, do well well until the wind picks up, then a guy with a heavy hitter, like a 6.5/284, can clean their clock.

All MHO

Comment

• Kswhitetails
      Chieftain
      • Oct 2016

I believe the consensus was that it was too long, making mag length loads less attractive due to case intrusion. There was also a consensus that they didn't like the necessary jump required at mag length. Generally considered unsuited for Grendel AR loads. A single fed bolt load may prove viable, but that's a niche at best.
      Nothing kills the incentive of men faster than a healthy sense of entitlement. Nothing kills entitlement faster than a healthy sense of achievement.

Comment

• GSPHunter
        Warrior
        • Jun 2014

I run 130RDF's seated at 2.345" and run through an ACS magazine with the front cut out for the bullet noses. With 26.6gn of AR-Comp it runs just a bit over 2400FPS and right under 1MOA out of my 20" Faxon group buy barrel. I have had no feeding problems and it's become my goto "fun" load :-)

Comment

• windsage
          Unwashed
          • Aug 2018

I don't know why you would be getting such drop at 600 yds. I use 123gr ELD-m at 2532 fps and the drop at 600 is 4.6 mil, and will easily put 15 /15 on a 10" plate. Past 800 yds the drop picks up significantly. I have shot slightly beyond 1000 with the Grendel, and it is impressive for its smaller size, but it's not a 6.5 CM or 260 either. I get about 3/4-1 moa groups from the Grendel, and I really love it, but I wouldn't use it against short action size rifles in competition.

Comment

• FW Conch
            Warrior
            • Nov 2014

This thread is about 130grn RDF's. As I stated, I was shooting 130grn Berger's as a comparison. Not 123grn pills. Compounded by not having enough scope elevation.

Comment

• PNW_Grendel
              Bloodstained
              • Sep 2018

I will be loading some of the RDF 130s here pretty soon. I shoot the FGMM from time to time. 20" Monster barrel, 2430 FPS (labradar), regularly shoot .7 5 shot groups. I dial 40.3 MOA for 1000, I hope I can get the RDFs to shoot the same

Comment

Working...
              X