• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • BobinNC
    Warrior
    • Oct 2017

Originally posted by A5BLASTER View Post
    Is it a chance it's the guy driving the gun?
    You mean a loose nut behind the trigger?? Well if he can get a AR to shot 0.3" moa groups from a 5.56mm AR, I don't think a 6.5 Grendel AR is going to give him much trouble. The problem lies elsewhere I think. Trouble shooting 101. Look at the optics or sights
    and their mounting first. Then bolt and barrel, if free floating on an AR....

Comment

• Grendelshooter
      Warrior
      • Jun 2017

Originally posted by A5BLASTER View Post
      Is it a chance it's the guy driving the gun?
      Sure, that’s always a possibility and even a probability in many cases.

I personally don’t think it is in my case. With the AR platform I’ve gotten to be a solid .5-.75moa shooter with handloads, semi regularly pulling off a .3-.4moa group.

For load development like today I shoot off of the ground (concrete) with the rifle strapped into a rest.

@kswhitetails, the only factory ammo I have anymore is Wolf 100gr, and it’s actually not too bad in my guns.
      Buying factory ammo isn’t an option in the people’s republic of Kalifornistan. You have to have a rifle registered to you in the caliber you’re purchasing, and if not you have to get a background check for it.

Personally I refuse to do so, so my only factory ammo baseline was from a while back. Velocities out of the 20” Monster barrel (123 black) were 2450-ish, and it popped 2 of 5 primers in that string. I pulled the rest down for their components. Before you crucify me for doing so I only pulled them down because the Hornady 75gr 223 March ALWAYS pops primers in my guns too. Factory Hornady March is just too hot for my rifles it seemed so I saved the components.

130gr ELD-M with AR Comp got me between 2300 and 2350fps but accuracy was not there at any safe load.

I never thought it would have been something wrong with the barrel, just figured mine was a lemon and use it for Wolf 100gr plinking. For that it is perfectly adequate.

@lazyengineer that’s been my experience as well. Good shooting 5.56 guns are a dime a dozen. Loads are easy too.

Comment

• grayfox
        Chieftain
        • Jan 2017

I'll just wait until I see some real data to work with.
        Best wishes for your shooting.
        "Down the floor, out the door, Go Brandon Go!!!!!"

Comment

• VASCAR2
          Chieftain
          • Mar 2011

A buddy was using Accurate 2520 with 120 grain Nosler Ballistic tips. He used CCI 450 primers and a max load of A-2520 (29.7 grains or little more) since he used this load for antelope in Wyoming in cold weather. He got very good accuracy out of his 24” AA and 18” Brownell’s.

I have only used TAC with 95 grain V-Max and 120 grain Sierra Varmint. I got good accuracy with those bullets with CCI 450 and CCI 41 primers. I mostly use TAC with 223/5.56.

I recently bought a pound of Accurate 2520 but haven’t used any. For 120-125 grain bullets I use mostly CFE 223.

Comment

• Grendelshooter
            Warrior
            • Jun 2017

Originally posted by grayfox View Post
            I'll just wait until I see some real data to work with.
            Best wishes for your shooting.
            I would say I’d wait to see some real class before I replied but here I am anyway.
            Guess we both wasted a post.
            Last edited by Grendelshooter; 08-05-2019, 01:31 AM.

Comment

• Grendelshooter
              Warrior
              • Jun 2017

Originally posted by VASCAR2 View Post
              A buddy was using Accurate 2520 with 120 grain Nosler Ballistic tips. He used CCI 450 primers and a max load of A-2520 (29.7 grains or little more) since he used this load for antelope in Wyoming in cold weather. He got very good accuracy out of his 24” AA and 18” Brownell’s.

I have only used TAC with 95 grain V-Max and 120 grain Sierra Varmint. I got good accuracy with those bullets with CCI 450 and CCI 41 primers. I mostly use TAC with 223/5.56.

I recently bought a pound of Accurate 2520 but haven’t used any. For 120-125 grain bullets I use mostly CFE 223.
              The common thing I’m seeing here is try 120’s.
              Thanks very much! Exactly the sort of thing I was seeking bud.

Comment

Working...
              X