Dillon550B

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I really think weighing powder charges gives a false sense of precision. I just tested a load today at 600 yards with ten weighed and ten thrown charges. This is shooting prone at 600 yards on the MR target. Thrown charge was 99-7X, weighed charge was 99-6X.

I still fall victim to the urge to weigh each charge and trickle to the exact target weight, as much as the next guy but whether accuracy on target is the gauge or looking at standard deviations on the chronograph, thrown compares favorably to weighed. Even when using my Acculabs scale the reads to 0.02 grains.

This is of course only valid using powders that throw well such as ball or smaller grain extruded powders. The powder I used in the tests today was IMR8208XBR. The powder dispenser I used to throw the charges was a Neil Jones, but I get very similar results on the Dillon. The standard deviation for ten rounds was 8.0 fps.
    Bob

Comment

I like the speed of doing 300 rounds per hour on the Dillon. When I take those Grendel rounds and use them in my Contender handgun I get less than 1 inch groups at 100 yards, and I'm a shaky shooter. When I test them like that and they shoot like that I don't bother with measuring anymore, unless I'm developing a new load, and then I check them out again. I'd say the best policy is to check and see how well they shoot, and do what you want.

Comment

Working...
      X