• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • KitShickers
    Unwashed
    • Aug 2019

PPU Once fired brass

Hello all. Its been a while since Ive been on the forum. So long I cant remember my old handle so I had to start a new account! lol
    I just picked up 880 pieces of PPU once fired brass from Sage's and I was hoping to get some tips on reloading. I am aware of the issues surrounding the PPU ammo, but I figured somebody must be reloading it since it doesn't stay for sale very long. Anyone have any load data they can share using it? Perhaps things to watch out for? I have a close friend who is an avid reloader who will be helping me out with load development, but we thought it might be a good idea to get some info from those more experienced with the brass.
    I have 4-5 popular grendel powders on hand (8208, PP Varmint, Tac, AR Comp, CFE223) As well as a few different projectiles to try (Nosler 120, ELDM 120, ELDM 123, SMK 107). I also have a brick of Federal 210M primers to use.

If it helps, my rifle build is as follows:

Mega Arms Billet Upper
    Mega Arms forged lower
    Lilja AR319 Barrel
    Geissele Trigger
    WMD BCG

Any tips or data you could share would be much appreciated! Thank you
  • A5BLASTER
    Chieftain
    • Mar 2015

Well since the PPU ammo isn't back on the market yet. The brass you have is more then likely some old stock PPU brass that had the problems.

I would work up starting very low and work up very slow.

Comment

• VASCAR2
      Chieftain
      • Mar 2011

I have reloaded quite a few PPU 6.5 Grendel. Some lots of PPU brass is better than others. My issue with PPU brass is loose primer pockets especially with Winchester large rifle primers. I bought some Sellier & Bellot large rifle primers and they fit the PPU brass much better. I only loaded moderate loads with PPU brass as with hot loads the brass can be toast after one reload.

I’ve loaded mostly 85 and 100 grain Sierra varmint bullets I got from the Sierra factory outlet store. I don’t remember loading them any hotter than at least one full grain under max charge for whatever powder I was using (normally H-335 or A2230).

I recommend you take notice how much effort it takes to seat the primer. If the primer pocket is to loose I put the case in my ben to take to the metal recycler. I use the PPU brass in situations where I might not be able to recover my brass.

I wouldn’t run PPU brass with a powder charge close to max pressure. You really don’t know the quality of that particular lot of brass until you start seating primers IMHO.

Comment

• KitShickers
        Unwashed
        • Aug 2019

Originally posted by VASCAR2 View Post
        I have reloaded quite a few PPU 6.5 Grendel. Some lots of PPU brass is better than others. My issue with PPU brass is loose primer pockets especially with Winchester large rifle primers. I bought some Sellier & Bellot large rifle primers and they fit the PPU brass much better. I only loaded moderate loads with PPU brass as with hot loads the brass can be toast after one reload.

I?ve loaded mostly 85 and 100 grain Sierra varmint bullets I got from the Sierra factory outlet store. I don?t remember loading them any hotter than at least one full grain under max charge for whatever powder I was using (normally H-335 or A2230).

I recommend you take notice how much effort it takes to seat the primer. If the primer pocket is to loose I put the case in my ben to take to the metal recycler. I use the PPU brass in situations where I might not be able to recover my brass.

I wouldn?t run PPU brass with a powder charge close to max pressure. You really don?t know the quality of that particular lot of brass until you start seating primers IMHO.

Thanks for the replies. Have you ever tried Federal primers?

Comment

• VASCAR2
          Chieftain
          • Mar 2011

No, when I last bought large rifle primers was during a drought a few years ago when you were lucky to find any powder or primers. In large rifle primers Standard primers have the same cup thickness as magnum. The reason you see magnum small rifle primers is to get thicker cups for use in AR-15 with floating firing pin to reduce slam fires.

A local gun shop had the S&B large rifle primers and by luck they fit the PPU primer pocket much better than WW. Whether this is because both PPU and S&B are from Europe to meet their spec or coincidence I can’t say.

Comment

Working...
          X