• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Rosecrans1
    Warrior
    • Feb 2019

Tried to Find 6.5 Grendel Followers

I looked to no avail for just 6.5 Grendel followers. I wanted to experiment with some followers on some older thin metal and cheap plastic 5.56 mags I have w/o taking good Grendel Mags apart.
    Has anyone here found a supplier past or present?
  • A5BLASTER
    Chieftain
    • Mar 2015

It won't work. Grendel mags feed ramps and the guide rails are at diffrent depths,angles and widths.

Just use 6.5 grendel mags.

Comment

• VASCAR2
      Chieftain
      • Mar 2011

Ammunition Storage Components (ASC) used to sell individual followers but all they offer on their website is 10 round rebuild kits.

Comment

• Rosecrans1
        Warrior
        • Feb 2019

I know of the different specs/tolerances between the two mags. I'm going to Dremel/file/sand one or two down plus I have two cheap plastic 5 rounders I wanted to play with. These are just as much for the AR as they are for the RAP I have that feeds from some of my Grendel mags and notta from others.
        Thanks for the info. I appreciate the posts.

Comment

• lazyengineer
          Chieftain
          • Feb 2019

Good luck and let us know how it goes. FWIW, this probably won't work. The casing diameter of 6.5 Grendel is larger than the diameter of .223. Grendel mags have a wider internal width to accommodate that (by not running the side as deep). Even if you carve the followers to fit the more narrow 5.56 internal dimensions, the rounds aren't going to stack right. Not only is that reduced capacity; it also means weird force vectors internally. With 4 or 5 rounds it probably doesn't matter much, but as capacity goes up, I'm curious how it goes for you.
          4x P100

Comment

• Former Cav
            Bloodstained
            • Aug 2019

I've been told you can put 10 rounds of grendel into a GI 20 round magazine and it will work.
            I have not tried it myself as I don't want to screw up my GI mags by chance.

Comment

• A5BLASTER
              Chieftain
              • Mar 2015

Originally posted by Former Cav View Post
              I've been told you can put 10 rounds of grendel into a GI 20 round magazine and it will work.
              I have not tried it myself as I don't want to screw up my GI mags by chance.
              It's more like 5 rounds.

Comment

• Fess
                Warrior
                • Jun 2019

Originally posted by lazyengineer View Post
                Good luck and let us know how it goes. FWIW, this probably won't work. The casing diameter of 6.5 Grendel is larger than the diameter of .223. Grendel mags have a wider internal width to accommodate that (by not running the side as deep). Even if you carve the followers to fit the more narrow 5.56 internal dimensions, the rounds aren't going to stack right. Not only is that reduced capacity; it also means weird force vectors internally. With 4 or 5 rounds it probably doesn't matter much, but as capacity goes up, I'm curious how it goes for you.
                I am disappointed in you, lazyengineer. My boss never accepted "It is not designed to do that, it won't work right, so don't do it" as a response. I would need to say something like: "Not only is that reduced capacity; it also means weird force vectors internally. Even if this doesn't cause bulging, the increased friction will make feeding unreliable. If you insist on using this design, vibration may help feeding. Attaching the magazine to a jackhammer may help or you could only shoot while riding a horse with a very pronounced limp."

For some reason, that supervisor got me assigned to another department.

Comment

• Rosecrans1
                  Warrior
                  • Feb 2019

LOl.........Thanks guys! With all my numerous 5 & 10 rd mags, I just want to see if I can find one or two that will work with the RAP and the AR. I have some Grendel mags of all flavors that I have had to Dremel to get to function right and a different follower may help them. Just trying to experiment with both 5.56 and Grendel specific magazines. I find it funny that the CPD mag that came with the RAP won't work in it but does with my AR. And the ASC's work very well with the RAP but so-so with the AR and my Elander 17 works with both but the 10 rounders work in the RAP but not at all well in the AR. I hate the length of the Elander 17 while shooting off sand bags which is why I like the small capacity magazines plus if varmiting in Pennsylvania, I need the smaller mags. (And yes I have had them loaded for weeks, I took them apart, cleaned, re-assembled, etc etc.).
                  Again, I just wanted to play with some different mags & followers and may clip some spring tension, Dremel here and there, file/smooth the feed lips and basically puttsie on them. That's all.
                  Thanks again for the responses.

Comment

• Javman
                    Warrior
                    • Jan 2016

Been able to use 6.8 mags in my Grendel.

Comment

• A5BLASTER
                      Chieftain
                      • Mar 2015

Originally posted by Rosecrans1 View Post
                      LOl.........Thanks guys! With all my numerous 5 & 10 rd mags, I just want to see if I can find one or two that will work with the RAP and the AR. I have some Grendel mags of all flavors that I have had to Dremel to get to function right and a different follower may help them. Just trying to experiment with both 5.56 and Grendel specific magazines. I find it funny that the CPD mag that came with the RAP won't work in it but does with my AR. And the ASC's work very well with the RAP but so-so with the AR and my Elander 17 works with both but the 10 rounders work in the RAP but not at all well in the AR. I hate the length of the Elander 17 while shooting off sand bags which is why I like the small capacity magazines plus if varmiting in Pennsylvania, I need the smaller mags. (And yes I have had them loaded for weeks, I took them apart, cleaned, re-assembled, etc etc.).
                      Again, I just wanted to play with some different mags & followers and may clip some spring tension, Dremel here and there, file/smooth the feed lips and basically puttsie on them. That's all.
                      Thanks again for the responses.
                      The best fix is to sell that junk rap rifle and get a better howa grendel bolt action.

Grendel mags shouldn't have a need for their followers to be dremeled to function. If your having to do that to get your mags to work in that rap bolt grendel.

The rifle is the problem.

As to trying to make a grendel follower to fit a 223 mag. That has been done long ago. That's how we know you need a specific grendel mag body and follower.

Comment

• Rosecrans1
                        Warrior
                        • Feb 2019

You know, Blaster.................the tone and all knowing all seeing attitude you invoke on me and many others on this site really gnaws in my crawl!
                        I'm not Dremeling the damn follower. Only the mag body at the end of the feed lips as many others have had to do on their AR's and bolts. I'm puttering and asked about where to buy followers.
                        I didn't ask for your opinion on my RAP! The followers would be used in different manufacturers Grendel mags and to see for myself if I could use an old worn out 223 mag. If everyone in this world was told that something couldn't be done and never ever tried it for themselves, I wonder where we would be. Maybe you should be sleeping at 2AM in stead of putting people and their equipment down rather than giving advice which is what this site and all other forums are suppose to be for.
                        I'm out of here!

Comment

• A5BLASTER
                          Chieftain
                          • Mar 2015

You know, Blaster.................the tone and all knowing all seeing attitude you invoke on me and many others on this site really gnaws in my crawl!
                          I'm not Dremeling the damn follower. Only the mag body at the end of the feed lips as many others have had to do on their AR's and bolts. I'm puttering and asked about where to buy followers.
                          I didn't ask for your opinion on my RAP! The followers would be used in different manufacturers Grendel mags and to see for myself if I could use an old worn out 223 mag. If everyone in this world was told that something couldn't be done and never ever tried it for themselves, I wonder where we would be. Maybe you should be sleeping at 2AM in stead of putting people and their equipment down rather than giving advice which is what this site and all other forums are suppose to be for.
                          I'm out of here!
                          Don't like advice don't ask for it.

Comment

• Javman
                            Warrior
                            • Jan 2016

Originally posted by Javman View Post
                            Been able to use 6.8 mags in my Grendel.
                            FWIW my 6.5 is a RAP! Go figure!

Comment

• blackngold
                              Unwashed
                              • Oct 2018

I looked to no avail for just 6.5 Grendel followers. I wanted to experiment with some followers on some older thin metal and cheap plastic 5.56 mags I have w/o taking good Grendel Mags apart.
                              Has anyone here found a supplier past or present?
                              Do you think they could be manufactured with a 3d printer. I don't have a 3d printer but I'm pretty good with autocad and could probably provide a model of one.

Comment

Working...
                              X