• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Fields_mj
    Unwashed
    • Aug 2019

105 MKZ 8208 load data

I'm planning on getting some 105 MKZ for deer hunting, and I'm looking for max load data so I don't try to push too hard. I have 8208, N530, N540, RL15, Varget, and BLC-2 on hand (+ a few others). I plan on using the 8208. I'll be shooting over a chrony and will stop if velocity starts jumping up, or if I see pressure signs. I've been loading match rifle ammo for over 25 years including .223 in both bolt guns and ARs, but this is my first rodeo with the Grendel. Tried to PM Cavity Back but haven't figured out how to use that function on this site yet ☺.

Thanks,
    Mark
  • rabiddawg
    Chieftain
    • Feb 2013

Buy the reloading manuals available at arbuildbox.com.

Everything you need will be found in both volumes
    Knowing everthing isnt as important as knowing where to find it.

Mark Twain

http://www.65grendel.com/forum/showt...2-Yd-Whitetail

Comment

• ricsmall
      Warrior
      • Sep 2014

I’d guess that 8208 would max out around 30 with that pill
      Member since 2011, data lost in last hack attack

Comment

• Mad Charlie
        Warrior
        • May 2017

Cavity Back posted 29.2gr of 8208 for the 105 MKZ some time ago. Search a little in reloading section, you will find his recommendations. I have 27gr as a start load.
        Last edited by Mad Charlie; 08-24-2019, 11:36 AM.

Comment

• Fields_mj
          Unwashed
          • Aug 2019

Thanks! I seem to remember seeing 29.2 gr at one point, but I've looked at so many threads on so many sights, that it's all blending together, but I did write that one down. I was hoping to find data for N530. Picked up a pound of Ramshot TAC, so now I'm looking for data on that too

Comment

• Klem
            Chieftain
            • Aug 2013

Indicators like flattened/cratered/pierced primers and sticky bolts are fine for a bolt gun, you just back off and keep shooting. With an AR these traditional indicators can be too late. With its small case the Grendel is the slowest of the 6.5's so everyone is trying to squeeze as much velocity as possible...but it's a fine line.

I have never shot this bullet but my max load for the 107SMK is 28.5gns of 8208.

The void at the back of the bullet will permit a bit a bit more powder but unless you carry a spare bolt I wouldn't go past 29gns. The deer at 300 are not going to notice a bullet travelling 30fps slower.

Comment

• grayfox
              Chieftain
              • Jan 2017

^^ +1. The Max MV may not even be your accurate load anyway...
              Speed is.... well, fast.
              But Accuracy is what counts.
              "Down the floor, out the door, Go Brandon Go!!!!!"

Comment

Working...
              X