• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • caleb90
    Bloodstained
    • Jan 2019

h335 with nosler 123 gr cc results.

so after fighting with cfe 223 and the 123gr nosler cc. i switched to h335, worked a ladder up from 26.2gr to 27.5gr. finally got to shoot em today and crono them. 27.2gr gave me the best accuracy much better than cfe 223 was giving me. at 100 yards with a 5-10mph cross wind i came up with a 1.2-1.3 ish 5 shot group. velocity was 2410fps out of my 20in tube, about 100 fps less than my cfe loads. i can deal with the velocity loss for the accuracy, group was less than steller. but at this point i believe the factory aero trigger is starting to hold me back.. thinking its time for a nice drop in unit around 3- 3.5lbs
    Last edited by caleb90; 08-25-2019, 12:23 AM. Reason: missing words
  • grayfox
    Chieftain
    • Jan 2017

Several timney-like ones available. Also there's the Larue MBT-2s which a lot of guys like on here.
    I have mostly timney and a cmc, they work well for me nice and positive, 2.5-3#.
    A good trigger swap will cut your group sizes down.

ps you can get back some of that MV loss by switching over to AR comp... the nosler 123's IIRC seem to work much like the hornady 123's. ARC is my go-to for 123's in Grendel.
    "Down the floor, out the door, Go Brandon Go!!!!!"

Comment

• FW Conch
      Warrior
      • Nov 2014

Well, looks like I will have to eventually try this AR Comp. Here goes another $30 bill

Comment

• Popeye212
        Chieftain
        • Jan 2018

Originally posted by caleb90 View Post
        so after fighting with cfe 223 and the 123gr nosler cc. i switched to h335, worked a ladder up from 26.2gr to 27.5gr. finally got to shoot em today and crono them. 27.2gr gave me the best accuracy much better than cfe 223 was giving me. at 100 yards with a 5-10mph cross wind i came up with a 1.2-1.3 ish 5 shot group. velocity was 2410fps out of my 20in tube, about 100 fps less than my cfe loads. i can deal with the velocity loss for the accuracy, group was less than steller. but at this point i believe the factory aero trigger is starting to hold me back.. thinking its time for a nice drop in unit around 3- 3.5lbs
        Had that Aero trigger in my build also at first. Put an MBT-2s in it BIG difference. That aero trigger is junk IMHO

Comment

• Mad Charlie
          Warrior
          • May 2017

Check out the Velocity drop in triggers.

Comment

• caleb90
            Bloodstained
            • Jan 2019

27.2 gave me a sd of 4.1, 29.9 was 8.3 and 27.5 was 8.1. the best cfe 223 gave me was in the 20 range. before i tweak any more i will be putting a trigger in first.

Comment

• caleb90
              Bloodstained
              • Jan 2019

Originally posted by Popeye212 View Post
              Had that Aero trigger in my build also at first. Put an MBT-2s in it BIG difference. That aero trigger is junk IMHO
              i agree it sucks, but it isnt any worse than alot of the old deer rifles im used too. growing up if you could get your deer rifle to shoot a 3 shot group within a 4in bulls eye you were good. btw the best tirgger i have used to date is my savages accu trigger on my 300wsm, i can get that ole girl touching holes at 100yard

Comment

• Former Cav
                Bloodstained
                • Aug 2019

I just shot up groups today using AR-comp 27.2, 27.4, 27.6, 27.8, 28.0 with 123 SST Hornaday bullets, Small standaard winchester brand primers (been using them for years in NRA highpower with the AR 15 service rifle and M1A Springfield with NEVER a slam fire)
                Best group was with the 27.6 grains and it was a 5 shot group at a little over 1 inch.
                18 inch barrel, Bear Creek Arsenal upper. A nikon BDC retical scope that is 3X only. (I think I'd do better with iron almost...wishing I would have bought a 3 to 9 power...I bought it Just to work up loads....after that...it will be iron sights)
                The Lower is from my Target Rifle and is a Rock River Arms with a Timney trigger built by a pro way back when.
                I had one group a week ago with VARGET that was 1 inch and the 123 ELD bullets.
                I have stuff to do the next 3 weeks before I hit the reloading again for work up and chronographing.
                BTW....DUE to HEALTH reasons.....I "downshifted" from .308 to this 6.5 Grendel. sold my two M1A's and I am bumming out. I did MUCH better with my M1A's in 7.62 Nato.

Comment

• caleb90
                  Bloodstained
                  • Jan 2019

i know my gun will shoot. with 100gr nosler cc over benchmark i was getting clover leaf groups at 100 yards. but im thinking the trigger is making error at this point. i may have been more on my game when shooting those loads

Comment

• Javman
                    Warrior
                    • Jan 2016

Here's a sample of what I was getting with the RAP and H335 and 100NBTs.

Comment

• Lemonaid
                      Warrior
                      • Feb 2019

Duuuuuude! Nice!
                      I've been wanting to buy a RAP Grendel for a time now and that group just sealed the deal.
                      Any upgrades to the basic RAP package?

Comment

• Joseph5
                        Warrior
                        • Oct 2012

LaRue MBT triggers are $87.00 all day every day and they are every bit the trigger that Geissle is for less than half the price. I like the LaRue better than CMC also!

Comment

• Javman
                          Warrior
                          • Jan 2016

Originally posted by Lemonaid View Post
                          Duuuuuude! Nice!
                          I've been wanting to buy a RAP Grendel for a time now and that group just sealed the deal.
                          Any upgrades to the basic RAP package?
                          No upgrades whatsoever. The RAP is a shooter for sure and it has impressed me with several loads. I've got some loads I need to test here pretty soon with some 120 ELDMs and LVR.

Don't think you'll be disappointed with it!

Comment

• Javman
                            Warrior
                            • Jan 2016

One thing I did notice with my RAP the dirtier it got the groups tightened up. I was cleaning it about 20-30 rounds but noticed the grouping would open a bit but settled right after a few rounds. So I haven't cleaned it in awhile. Just something to check out if you decide to get one.

Comment

Working...
                            X