• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Sinclair
    Warrior
    • Feb 2018

TAC and Power Pro Varmint accuracy

Just curious how TAC and PPVarmint fair in the accuracy department. I have begun load development and want to be open minded about my options. IMR 8208 seems to be the hands down favorite on this forum, but I have no local sources and the mail order houses that I deal with are habitually out of stock; therefore, I am looking for something nearly as good and usually in stock.

Thanks for your comments.

P.S. I am a paper puncher 99% of the time (100 to 300 yds). Occasionally, a coyote or some other varmint will make itself such a nuisance as to attract my attention (under 200 yds. typical).
    "A Patriot must always be ready to defend his Country against his government"
    Edward Abbey

"Stay out of trouble, Never give up, Never give in, Watch you're six, Hold the line, Stay Frosty."
    Dr. Sabastian Gorka, Hungarian by birth, American Patriot by Beliefs.
  • lazyengineer
    Chieftain
    • Feb 2019

I've played with it a little. I've found it gives me best performance with 129 gr bullets. Lots of people like CFE, I would not be one of them. 8208 gives me my best performance with the TNT 90s.

[edit to add, which is to say it's the powder I use, when running 129 gr Grendel bullets; but that's another topic, as Grendel 129 bullets tend to be slow. Real slow. I can't say I really recommend 129's in Grendel just yet, but it does shoot accurately and with better velocity than many, with this powder]
    Last edited by lazyengineer; 09-03-2019, 05:58 PM.
    4x P100

Comment

• grayfox
      Chieftain
      • Jan 2017

For 90-100's if it's not XBR then I tend to go with H335 which does well for those.
      120 class, for me it's AR comp.
      "Down the floor, out the door, Go Brandon Go!!!!!"

Comment

• Lemonaid
        Warrior
        • Feb 2019

I've tried CFE 223, 8208, H332, 2200, Power pro varmint and Win 748.
        Best results with 90 TNT and Sierra 120 GK and Sierra 120 Pro Hunter and Power Pro Varmint or Win 748.
        I'd give a small accuracy advantage to Win 748 (my current favorite) and an velocity advantage to PPV.

Comment

• meatsweats
          Warrior
          • Aug 2018

I?ve had really good luck with 123 SST, 120 Nosler Ballistic Tips, Sierra 120 grain Pro Hunters and Speer Gold Dots with TAC. Shot. 3/4 inch group today with the Gold Dot. Absolutely no luck with TAC and lighter pills. However could be my barrel. Haven?t tried AR COMP but certainly interested.

MS

Comment

• For Gallantry
            Unwashed
            • Feb 2016

PP Varmint is my go-to powder for 120 grain bullets that I need at hunting velocities. 8208 may be a bit more accurate in my barrel, but it's easily 200+ fps slower and PP Varmint still gives me sub 3/4 moa groups out to 200 yds (the furthest I've tested it so far). I have a pound of TAC, but haven't gotten around to trying it yet.

Comment

Working...
            X