• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • TheTruth
    Unwashed
    • Sep 2019

123gr SST not grouping well

I'm sure this is a subject that has been talked to death on here, and I probably should reply on an already existing thread, but hopefully you guys don't mind I start a new thread specific to my issues.

I've got a Davidson Defense 16" stainless barrel upper on a PSA lower (I know, the DD barrel is probably the start of my problems). I had some serious issues with the quality of the DD upper when I first put it all together, but did some finessing and have gotten excellent results from it thus far. How terrible Davidson Defense really is deserves its own thread, but that's for another day. For my sight I've got a Primary Arms 1-6x.

This rifle shoots cheap Wolf 100gr FMJ incredibly well. REALLY nice groups at 100yds. I had planned on using Hornady 123gr SST as my deer bullet, but they group like crap at 100yds. I'd say inside of about 4-6". Now I'm no competition shooter, but I've been shooting rifles for 25 years and have never had an issue getting above average results out of any rifle - except this one, and only with SST bullets.

My question is this: Is it possible the rifle doesn't like the bullet WEIGHT and I'll be required to step down to a lighter bullet to get the results I want? Or do you guys think it's just the bullet DESIGN that could be the issue? I REALLY want to stay up over 100 grains, and truthfully I'm very disappointed that it doesn't like the 123gr SSTs because I love the bullet design and want to shoot as heavy as I can for penetration on deer and black bear in Virginia.

I'm inclined to try out other 123gr bullets before I step down to a lighter bullet. I guess I won't know until I try. Unfortunately I don't reload.

And for those interested, here's the rifle: https://imgur.com/a/A1ib4vY
  • Mitdr774
    Warrior
    • Jul 2019

Maybe try different powders or play around with the powder charge within the published data. I have had horrendous groups with the 123 SST and I have had amazing groups with the 123 SST. all from the same rifle. My rifle just prefers some powder and bullet combinations over other combinations.

It is also possible that your rifle just doesnt like that bullet.

Comment

• Popeye212
      Chieftain
      • Jan 2018

Before you step down try the Nosler 120 BT and Sierra's 120 Pro Hunter good success with both of those.

Comment

• TheTruth
        Unwashed
        • Sep 2019

Thanks for the replies so far, guys. I can't wait to get into reloading, but for now I am relegated to factory loadings since I do not reload.

Comment

• CJW
          Chieftain
          • Jun 2019

TheTruth.
          My Grendel will not the shoot the 123SST ‘s at all over 8208. Two or three minute groups at best.
          Switch to AR-Comp and it is extremely accurate.

Chuck

Comment

• A5BLASTER
            Chieftain
            • Mar 2015

Try some 123 eld-m factory ammo.

If it shoots good from your barrel roll with it. It will kill game just as good as the 123 sst. Already been proven on deer, hogs, black bear and a moose.

Comment

• TheTruth
              Unwashed
              • Sep 2019

Originally posted by A5BLASTER View Post
              Try some 123 eld-m factory ammo.

If it shoots good from your barrel roll with it. It will kill game just as good as the 123 sst. Already been proven on deer, hogs, black bear and a moose.
              The 123 grain ELD-M is definitely my next step. If those don't cut it either, step 2 will be to try Federal Fusion MSR 120gr soft point.

Comment

• A5BLASTER
                Chieftain
                • Mar 2015

Originally posted by TheTruth View Post
                The 123 grain ELD-M is definitely my next step. If those don't cut it either, step 2 will be to try Federal Fusion MSR 120gr soft point.
                If the barrel doesn't shoot eld-m and sst ammo. I probably would think about a barrel change.

Comment

• lazyengineer
                  Chieftain
                  • Feb 2019

I can't get 123's to shoot in my Grendel either. I'm not done trying, but in my experience the Hornady black 123 shoots about like yours. My reloads with Nosler 123 BTHP are even worse - and I can get over 4 MOA or worse easily, and I've tried numerous powders. It doesn't really like Federal's 120 gr very much either.

For whatever reason, my Grendel's do like Wolf Steel. I was beginning to think my Grendel is just not accurate, but mine do really like the 90 gr TNT bullets, and they like the Hornady 129 gr SST bullets. Sub 2 MOA (which I consider acceptable), and the 90's will crowd down to 1 MOA. Those speer 90 gr TNT bullets are an oddity; cheap obsolete design, by far the lowest cost bullets you can find (I was able to get them for like 17 cents a pill), and anything that has a 6.5mm diameter hole shoots the things like an absolute dream! They also are one of the better proven hog slayer bullets here - go figure.

I also have some 100 gr Nosler's to test still, some Nosler 129's as well. I've been told the Sierra 107 gr bullet is the dream-bullet for Grendel, but haven't bought any of those yet.
                  4x P100

Comment

• grayfox
                    Chieftain
                    • Jan 2017

Factory loads in the 120 class that I know of (other than 123 sst) are the Eldm Hornady black Match (there is also an Hpbt Hdy black so watch out, not recommending that for hunting obviously), and the 120 fusion. My 16's shoot the 123 sst factory sometimes well, some not so much, but Hdy Black Match usually pretty well. Also the 120 fusion's do well for them also. So there's factory load hope for you.
                    But yeah... your barrel..... well that's 1 of the 3 critical elements, barrel, trigger, optics... needs to be as good as you can afford.
                    "Down the floor, out the door, Go Brandon Go!!!!!"

Comment

• grendelnubi
                      Warrior
                      • Apr 2017

The 123gr SST has never shoot well for me either. I spent a lot of dollars and to much time trying to make them shoot in two of my grendels and eventually gave up.

Moved over to the Nosler 100, 120 gr ballistic tips and they shot great. Also worked on the Nosler 129 ABLR load and it shoots lights out. Best 100 yard group was a single hole. The only Hornady projectiles I tested that worked half as good at the Nosler is the Hornady ELD M Black.

Don't give up on a barrel based on the opinion of others. If your barrel will shoot the wolf then it should shoot. I can't get better than 3 MOA with wolf.
                      Attached Files

Comment

• TheTruth
                        Unwashed
                        • Sep 2019

I'm currently searching hard for 100 grain factory loaded Nosler ballistic tips or Partitions, but to no avail. Partitions would be ideal. I'm really trying to avoid prematurely beginning my handloading journey, as I have no real interest in handloading unless I have to.

Comment

• A5BLASTER
                          Chieftain
                          • Mar 2015

Originally posted by TheTruth View Post
                          I'm currently searching hard for 100 grain factory loaded Nosler ballistic tips or Partitions, but to no avail. Partitions would be ideal. I'm really trying to avoid prematurely beginning my handloading journey, as I have no real interest in handloading unless I have to.
                          PF and Night OP's both sell 100 grain nosler ballistic tip ammo.

Hendershots sells ammo loaded with the partition is remember correctly.

Comment

• 1Shot
                            Warrior
                            • Feb 2018

Neither of my rifles like the 123 SST bullet PERIOD. Factory or hand loads. No matter the powder they are not consistent in grouping. Two or three will land together and then one will move out of the group. It is not me causing this because I can shoot other bullets and loads consistently in small groups. My rifles REALLY LIKE 120 Sierra Pro Hunter and Speer Gold Dot with IMR 8208.

Comment

• SightedIn
                              Warrior
                              • Jun 2016

Originally posted by A5BLASTER View Post
                              If the barrel doesn't shoot eld-m and sst ammo. I probably would think about a barrel change.
                              Yep, this ^

Comment

Working...
                              X