Lee Collet Die for Grendel. Pass on info from Lee.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • TreeTopFlier
    Unwashed
    • Nov 2017

Lee Collet Die for Grendel. Pass on info from Lee.

I have been thinking that I would really like to have a collet die for the Grendel but as of now Lee doesnt make one other than a one off custom build for $70 bucks. I think they are missing an opportunity with the Grendel, what do you guys think?

I have found them useful even when added to full length sized or just lightly bumped cases even in the AR.

What Lee said:
    They dont do group buys on their own but we can do it on our own.

They need customer interest in the range of about 500 inquiries or custom orders (including past) to get interested. Seems like a lot to me but thats what they said.

Here is their contact page, I would just say. "Please make a Collet die for the 6.5 Grendel" Thank you from the unwashed masses LOL

just wanted to see what you guys think?

TTF
    I make the #TTFPowderStand for the Lee Classic Turret press
  • Six5x39
    Warrior
    • Sep 2017

All my rifles has been semi and I have never used collet dies before . But i wouldn't mind having one for my howa . But 70 bucks ? Idk . But I'm in for 1

Comment

• Jimla
      Warrior
      • Dec 2018

I used lee collet die with a redding body and competition seating dies for two other calibers. I used them to avoid lubing case necks, making brass last longer, and to lower runout.

I save a lot of money buying "Forster 6.5MM Grendel-Benchrest Seater and Full Length Size Die Set (004131)". It has been working well, with less steps, low runout, primer pockets fail before neck or body fails anyways.

Comment

• A5BLASTER
        Chieftain
        • Mar 2015

I wish you lots of luck on this project. But I will have to pass. I'm not much on Lee dies.

Comment

• TreeTopFlier
          Unwashed
          • Nov 2017

Originally posted by A5BLASTER View Post
          I wish you lots of luck on this project. But I will have to pass. I'm not much on Lee dies.
          The Lee Collet die is not a run of the mill die. It only does one thing. It swages the neck around a hard steel mandrel with enough force to flow the brass. Produces a very uniform neck and neck tension. It is traditionally used for a bolt gun where you can get by with neck sizing only but I have found it to improve brass even when full length sized. I use it on fresh home made blackout brass. Cuts groups size in half.

Comment

• kmon
            Chieftain
            • Feb 2015

I like the Collet dies and have a few, several times I have thought about getting a Grendel version just have never done it. I will do the request though and still might get one.

Comment

• TreeTopFlier
              Unwashed
              • Nov 2017

Originally posted by Six5x39 View Post
              All my rifles has been semi and I have never used collet dies before . But i wouldn't mind having one for my howa . But 70 bucks ? Idk . But I'm in for 1
              I like to use them even on semi's. They pretty much make every case better. I will sometimes pull the expander ball and use a full length die to bump the shoulder back then hit it with the collet die to fix up the neck. Works wonders on home made blackout brass.

Comment

• TreeTopFlier
                Unwashed
                • Nov 2017

Originally posted by kmon View Post
                I like the Collet dies and have a few, several times I have thought about getting a Grendel version just have never done it. I will do the request though and still might get one.
                They say they want 2 pieces of fired brass from your gun if you order the custom option. Not sure why they would need that for a collet die, probably just a canned response.

Comment

• A5BLASTER
                  Chieftain
                  • Mar 2015

Originally posted by TreeTopFlier View Post
                  The Lee Collet die is not a run of the mill die. It only does one thing. It swages the neck around a hard steel mandrel with enough force to flow the brass. Produces a very uniform neck and neck tension. It is traditionally used for a bolt gun where you can get by with neck sizing only but I have found it to improve brass even when full length sized. I use it on fresh home made blackout brass. Cuts groups size in half.
                  Yes sir I know what it is and how it works. Lee just has too much of a bad track record with regular grendel dies for me to get a collet die from them.

As I said I wish this project lots of luck and will follow along and see how it turns out. I will just have to pass on it is all.

Comment

• aimlesslee44
                    Unwashed
                    • Jun 2019

I too am a huge fan of the Collet Die, I have used the link above to lobby Lee as suggested. I looked at using their 'custom made' option but the cost to have a set made and sent here to New Zealand was just too much to be a viable proposition, hopefully they'll see the merits in this great little cartridge and start making them.
                    Thanks for the link TTF, I just hope 500+ members use it and suggest the same.

Comment

• CJW
                      Chieftain
                      • Jun 2019

Not a fan of Lee dies, the depriming pin in the full length resizing die will not deprime Laupa cases, it is too large and Lee doesn?t make a smaller pin. It will deprime Hornady brass that has a larger flash hole.

I have never seen a competitive shooter using Lee dies. There are just better options out there.

Comment

• DDRanch
                        Warrior
                        • Jul 2017

FYI, my response from Lee on Collet die request;

For us to make a 6.5 Grendel Custom Collet Die Set we would ask you to please send payment (or pay on our website) and two fired cases from the rifle that the ammunition is to be reloaded for, as well as a sample projectile to our address: 4275 Highway U Hartford, WI 53027. The current lead time for a Custom Collet die set is around 10 weeks and begins once payment AND the required cases/projectiles are received. Here is the link to order the custom collet necksizing die on our website: https://leeprecision.com/custom-coll...14-thread.html

Thank You,

Lucas
                        Customer Service

Comment

• TreeTopFlier
                          Unwashed
                          • Nov 2017

Originally posted by DDRanch View Post
                          FYI, my response from Lee on Collet die request;

For us to make a 6.5 Grendel Custom Collet Die Set we would ask you to please send payment (or pay on our website) and two fired cases from the rifle that the ammunition is to be reloaded for, as well as a sample projectile to our address: 4275 Highway U Hartford, WI 53027. The current lead time for a Custom Collet die set is around 10 weeks and begins once payment AND the required cases/projectiles are received. Here is the link to order the custom collet necksizing die on our website: https://leeprecision.com/custom-coll...14-thread.html

Thank You,

Lucas
                          Customer Service
                          Thanks, thats the same thing they told me on the phone. They make a collet die for the Blackout, dont see whey Grendel would be any different for them.

Comment

• FightingMajor
                            Unwashed
                            • Apr 2020

Lee now makes a collet die for the Grendel. About time. Part #91606. I couldn't find any available online and they are out of stock on their website so I'm guessing they really haven't started producing them yet.

Comment

• pinetreebbs
                              Warrior
                              • Nov 2013

Originally posted by FightingMajor View Post
                              Lee now makes a collet die for the Grendel. About time. Part #91606. I couldn't find any available online and they are out of stock on their website so I'm guessing they really haven't started producing them yet.

https://leeprecision.com/collet-dies-6.5-grendel.html
                              Hot damm, thanks!

Comment

Working...
                              X