X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Mitdr774
    Warrior
    • Jul 2019

Lyman manual for quick trim jobs and for large trim jobs such as making .458x1.8 or .358x1.71 brass and large batches factory cartridges I have switched to a RCBS Trim Pro 2 powered trimmer. Since the .458 and .358 (along with a few others) are a straight walled case I cant use any of the tirmmers that index off of a shoulder, so my options were reduced for powered trimmers.

Comment

• Mad Charlie
      Warrior
      • May 2017

Originally posted by delt475 View Post
      I used to have the Hornady trimmer. It took too much time to trim by hand. I bought the drill accessory for it and didn?t bother to read the disclaimer. I hooked my corded Dewalt and cooked the trimmer. Damn thing was smoking by the time I was finished with it. Threw it away and bought a Dillon trimmer. Been using it since
      When in doubt R.T.F.I.M...

I could mount my Hornady trimmer to my angle plate and set it up in my Bridgeport and go pretty fast, but I wouldn't turn it more than about 200 rpm and I would use just enough pressure on the quill to cut, with enough oil to keep the trimmer lubed.

Call Dillon IMMEDIATELY! and DEMAND they make you a setup, and tell them you want it tomorrow! Without Fail! or you gonna come out there and whack their PP's.

Little Crow will most assuredly handle more than one case caliber.

Comment

• Capt45
        Unwashed
        • Sep 2019

Little Crow. I use the second version that has changeable caliber inserts so one trimmer for ALL cases I process.

Comment

• Gusmeister
          Warrior
          • May 2017

I'm a big fan of the Little Crow trimmer. However it is worth noting that the Little Crow trimmer does not trim based on case length. as Delt said, it trims based on the distance from the shoulder to the mouth of the case. That is not a problem once your shoulder is set but will typically give you much shorter than desired case lengths when working with new unfired brass as its shoulder are set waaaaay back. I do not trim new brass until after the first firing.

Comment

• 1Shot
            Warrior
            • Feb 2018

I use the Orange Lyman (that came with both a hand crank and a drill attachment mandrel) with a drill attached. I mounted the trimmer to a piece of composite decking board that I can then C-clamp to my loading bench. I place a 6" length of 2x4 with a plastic shell container that came out of a box of factory 9 mm ammo on top of the 2x4 to rest the drill on for support and the plastic allows the drill to slide back and forth on it. This keeps the drill in line with the mandrel and takes downward pressure off it so everything runs smooth. When I get done trimming I can remove the trimmer and move it out of the way quickly so it does not take up space on my limited size loading bench.

Comment

• kcb38
              Warrior
              • Jun 2017

Originally posted by Redomen View Post
              Rcbs manual trimmer. Am I really that old?
              Same here but I removed the handle added the driver bit attachment.
              IMG_20190423_211411573[1].jpg
              - Kirk -

Comment

• CJW
                Chieftain
                • Jun 2019

Popeye,

A L.E. Wilson is the only trimmer I have ever used.....I?ve tried others but always come back to the Wilson.

Comment

• FLshooter
                  Chieftain
                  • Jun 2019

Originally posted by CJW View Post
                  Popeye,

A L.E. Wilson is the only trimmer I have ever used.....I?ve tried others but always come back to the Wilson.
                  Same here.Nothing gets my brass as uniform as the LE Wilson.All my brass is consistent(within .003”)
                  I added the power adapter.I use a Black & Decker 200rpm power screwdriver.I had asked a representative at LE Wilson.they said keep it under 280 rpm or it will heat up and seize.

Comment

• A5BLASTER
                    Chieftain
                    • Mar 2015

I'm going to sound like the odd man out here but the lil Lee trimmer setup that they make for the grendel has been working perfectly for me since day one.

Been very consistent as well. Typically only out +- 1 or 2 thousands.

Cheap and effective and fast when paired with a cheap cordless drill.

Comment

• imaguy3
                      Warrior
                      • Mar 2018

Originally posted by A5BLASTER View Post
                      I'm going to sound like the odd man out here but the lil Lee trimmer setup that they make for the grendel has been working perfectly for me since day one.

Glad I'm not the only one that uses it lol.. I was beginning to feel lonely after I posted the link to it haha..

I use it on my 280ai as well.. I love that little thing.

Comment

• Popeye212
                        Chieftain
                        • Jan 2018

Originally posted by A5BLASTER View Post

Used one of those for years in Reloading 1.0 (my son now has it) but this LE Wilson is faster and cuts em square and accurate.

Comment

Working...
                        X