• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Labrat198
    Warrior
    • Nov 2018

Barnes TAC-TX same as TTSX?

Title says it all.

Putting together an order that should take me through my hunting seasons this year and finding many stores have the 100gr TTSX on backorder but have the 100gr TAC-TX available. I am looking at the Barnes website and they do have different Catalog numbers otherwise appear to be identical. Can anyone confirm they are the same bullet just marketed to a different segment?
  • BobinNC
    Warrior
    • Oct 2017

There is no difference, they are the same bullet as are the TTSX and the Tipped TAC-TX. They are just marketed differently. The TTSX is marketed as a "hunting bullet". In today's "sensitive" environment it would not be a good look for Law Enforcement Agency's to use "hunting bullets" on human targets. Hence Barnes also markets a line of "Tactical Bullets" called TAC-TX, for Law Enforcement use. But construction wise they are identical to the TTSX line

Comment

• grayfox
      Chieftain
      • Jan 2017

If the Tac-tx bullet does not have the polymer tip then its opening minimum will be more like 2000 ft/s, the poly tipped barnes' (like TTSX) have a min opening of 1800 ft/s, so I'd make sure which one you want and what your downrange velocity will be before placing down your $$.
      I have some Ttsx ones in my fall lineup.
      "Down the floor, out the door, Go Brandon Go!!!!!"

Comment

• BobinNC
        Warrior
        • Oct 2017

All Barnes TAC-TX bullets have polymer tips: https://www.barnesbullets.com/bullets/tac-tx/

Barnes TAC-X bullets do not have polymer tips: https://www.barnesbullets.com/bullets/tac-x/

Comment

• rabiddawg
          Chieftain
          • Feb 2013

Originally posted by BobinNC View Post
          There is no difference, they are the same bullet as are the TTSX and the Tipped TAC-TX. They are just marketed differently. The TTSX is marketed as a "hunting bullet". In today's "sensitive" environment it would not be a good look for Law Enforcement Agency's to use "hunting bullets" on human targets. Hence Barnes also markets a line of "Tactical Bullets" called TAC-TX, for Law Enforcement use. But construction wise they are identical to the TTSX line
          You get this info from Barnes?
          Knowing everthing isnt as important as knowing where to find it.

Mark Twain

http://www.65grendel.com/forum/showt...2-Yd-Whitetail

Comment

• BobinNC
            Warrior
            • Oct 2017

Yes....

Comment

• Labrat198
              Warrior
              • Nov 2018

Originally posted by BobinNC View Post
              Thanks BobinNC! I figured it would be something like that.

Comment

• Labrat198
                Warrior
                • Nov 2018

Originally posted by grayfox View Post
                If the Tac-tx bullet does not have the polymer tip then its opening minimum will be more like 2000 ft/s, the poly tipped barnes' (like TTSX) have a min opening of 1800 ft/s, so I'd make sure which one you want and what your downrange velocity will be before placing down your $$.
                I have some Ttsx ones in my fall lineup.
                Chrony is telling me about 2700 ft/s on top of 30.0gr of XBR, so shouldn't have issues opening up under 200 yards with either but going with the poly tipped for just a little more confidence.

Comment

• grayfox
                  Chieftain
                  • Jan 2017

I like the poly tip also, better bullet BC along with the lower opening velocity.
                  From what I've read if you keep the ttsx's above about low 2100's (with the 1800 threshold) you should be good. and the ke will be >1000 too so that's a plus in my book. should make 2 good holes, one in and 1 going out.
                  "Down the floor, out the door, Go Brandon Go!!!!!"

Comment

Working...
                  X